Sow Nailed in Backyard

Great stuff, Skypup.

While us Floridians may not have the mountain/mesa views and coyote numbers as the guys out west, your photo narrative shows that we have our fair share of God's country and creatures to eat, hunt, and observe.

Keep'em coming.

Have been after this big boar hog for the last two months, he's been leaving ATV sized holes rooted up in my yard and I wanted to take him out. He is a loner and I spied him off and on, including one time at night when I had my 556 with the FLIR T-70 on it but declined to try to take him out due to his thick shield and my tiny 5.56mm, had been carrying the 7.62mm just for him but never did we both meet up at the right time.

Finally, last night while I was calling for coyotes he shows up a little before midnight with a couple of deer and I decided to try to take him out. First shot was into the lungs right behind his elbow, second shot was pretty much into the arse, and third shot was again into his ribcage, fourth and fifth shots may not have connected. However, I spent an hour trying to find him with the FLIR LS-64 with no luck and then another hour this afternoon with no luck, so he is buzzard bait by now. This dude has shown up on the game cam and I have seen him personally a half dozen time, easy 375-400 pounds, maybe I'll find his skull and tusks later on this fall while hiking around in the woods.

The FLIR T-70 did its job, but this size boar is just a beech to take down with a 5.56.....

11MB WMV file....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/Giant%20Boar%20Hog/Giant%20Boar%20Hog.wmv

No sooner do I shoot that big boar the other night and another one shows up an hour after I left for work this AM, looks like I've got my work cut out for Thanksgiving weekend hunting this nice boar down...

Big%20Hog%20Game%20Cam.jpg

My buddy sez -> you let all that sausage get away using your 556 when you've got two 7.62s?

The handloaded 130 grain Barnes TSX 7.62mm are now standing guard!
cool.gif

We got a 350 pound black hog down @ 225 yards with the SIG 716 7.62mm, Elcan Specter DR 1.25-6X-42mm, and FLIR Thermal....

SIG%20716%20350%20lbs.jpg

SIG%20716%20Head.jpg

FLIR T-70 took down five hogs in the backyard last night. Then while I was picking them up the sow charged me in the dark and shot her three times with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm, she got away and will go look for her this morning. It was total carnage, like shooting ducks in a bathtub with the FLIR and the SIG 716....

If you have a hog or a coyote problem, FLIR will simply take care of it for you!

5%20Hogs%20Grapple.jpg

SIG%20716%205%20Hogs.jpg

Bullet.jpg

Here is a 35MB WMV file of the thermal shootout out to 225 yards:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG%20716%20Precision/5%20Hogs/5%20Hogs.wmv

There are two more down I am going to look for this morning, the big sow tried to take me out and she got a facefull of lead instead, another of the sounder group made it into the pond where there are two 8 foot gators probably munching on it now....

Wow, skypup you have made me very jealous! I just read through whole thread. Just incredible. Awesome work, awesome pics, and awesome video. If you need a skinner I will be available the week after Christmas. HAHA

Well, I just got this nice coyote in the backyard the night before last, now with all the offal I will be setting up to take out some more songdogs....

SIG 716 18" barrel with 1:10" twist 7.62mm 150gr SP with Elcan 1.5-6X-42mm with FLIR T-70 Thermal takes out a nice songdog at 225 yards tonight.

Bullet entered right under the barrel and blew off the entire other side of the dog.

Video is short and sweet.....

Called the pack in with FoxPro Prairie Blaster on Female Howl for a minute and then a minute of Female Invitation.

SIG%20716P%20225%20Yards.jpg

24MB WMV Video download here:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG%20716%20...rd%20Coyote.wmv

I nailed a sow in my back yard once. Only it wasn't with a rifle and it was after a long night of shooting cuervo. Luckily no pics although the hangover and shame the morning after were enough. Thay night hunting set uo lools awesome how much do you habe into the optics setup

Handloaded Barnes 70 grain TSX in front of 25.0 grains of Hodgdon BLC-2 in '09 LC brass with Wolf SRM primers.

Hog took one breath and that was it.
thumbup1.gif

guess that hog didn't get the memo that a 556 is to small on hogs, Does FLIR give them a last meal before they kick them off the train by your place? LOL

Back