sound reduction question

phutch30

How much actual field difference is there between a can with 26-32 dB reduction and say one at 36-40dB?

I understand simple math so im not looking for the smart [beeep] 8-10 dB difference answer.

Im asking if when using the can hunting, IF theres a noticeable difference between two cans rated for the above reductions. Can you tell a difference without special equipment?

Yes there is when it comes to that wide range. The human ear cant really tell a couple DB difference. You also have to take in account that the tone is different on each can.
Just because one sounds a little bit more quiet than another it may not be so. However the tone can make it more pleasant to the ear.
It becomes more apparent when around trees and structures less apparent in the wide open prairie. Hope that helps.

It sure does become quite apparent when you are around trees and other structures that reflect sound to your ears, then it makes a really HUGE difference!

Well stated!
thumbup1.gif

As stated already 8-10 db is a big margin in the noticable sound. I'm not sure what an unsuppressed but I assume it my knock it down about 30-35 db from unsuppressed to suppressed. That is a huge difference. Anyone else have better info it would be nice to compare your experience, I'm no expert by any means

The db scale is logarithmic. You know how on the earthquake seismic scale the difference between a 5 and 6 is not one fold, it is 10 fold? Well dbs work on a similar scale. Check it out online for a better explanation!

Back