Sometimes it pays to stay longer....got 2 out of 3 anyway (pics)

Curt Barrett

I got out Sat afternoon for a couple stands. I made two stands and called 3 to the first stand getting 2. This particular place is hard to call normally because of the usual west wind we have. Entering the better stand on the property puts the wind behind your back. Saturday however the wind was blowing from the southeast allowing one to sneak in undetected much easier. The weather was perfect for calling. Partly cloudy and about 55 degrees. I parked behind a hill about 500 yards away and walked in. There was quite a bit of scat on the farm road going in so confidence was high.

I found a spot to set up a stand that offered a commanding view of the head of a draw. Finding a small tree to sit under I placed the FX-5 about 50 yards crosswind and a little upwind of where I would sit hoping any coyotes that came would end up in front of me attempting to wind the e-call. I also had the Skyote along. I didn't think I could like an open reed call as much as my beloved Critr Call but this Skyote is fast becoming my favorite. Not to sound like a salesman but this little call does it all. Howls, distress, easy blowing and doesn't lock up. Most importantly it brings the coyotes in. I've probably whacked a dozen coyotes with this call alone since deer season ended. Today I wanted to try it combined with the FX-5.

I started with a single howl from the handcall. It wasn't even 10-15 seconds and I got a multiple response from quite a distance down the draw in the valley below. It sounded like 3-4 yip howling back at me. I gave one more howl back and let them quiet down hoping they were heading my way. After about 5 minutes I did a series of distress on the handcall (Skyote) and waited a bit and did another series.

After another 5 minutes or so I started the FX-5 playing Magpies and let it run turning it off occaisionally. I usually don't call much longer than 20 minutes on a stand but I decided to hang on and it was hitting the 30 minute mark now. At approximately 35 minutes I see a coyote about 300 yards out cautiously making it's way up the draw. There was a fence with a bunch of tumbleweeds bunched up against it about 200 yards out between me and the coyote. While watching this coyote approach I see another coyote closer coming under the fence. It isn't being cautious and is trotting in. He is much bigger than the farther coyote. I stop the caller and he stops approaching. I'm hoping the farther one will close the distance a little so I have a chance at both. I hit the Magpie sound again for a couple seconds and both start coming. The closest one is probably 60 yards now and almost downwind of the caller and changing direction heading towards some trees and bushes. Not wanting it to get in those trees I decided to shoot the big one and try to get a shot at the smaller one still way out after. A gave a "whoop" to stop it and the big one fell. Small one bolted disappearing from view in a low spot.

I changed the sound on the e-call to Coyote Death Cry and let it run. About 5 minutes later a coyote is crawling under the same tumbleweed covered fence. At first I'm thinking the one that ran was coming back. It was charging in and bunny hopping along the way though. Much bolder than the one that ran and looked bigger too. I let it come to about the same distance as the one laying on the ground and gave a "whoop". It stopped offering a straight on chest shot and I shot it in the chest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I let the Death Cry play for a bit longer and wrapped up the long stand. They were some good sized coyote for this area. Most coyotes around here average around 25-30 lbs. These were 38 lbs and the other a hair over 40 lbs give or take a pound with my Walmart fish scale. lol!

Took these guys awhile to get there but it was worth the wait for them to cover the ground. Sometimes in this situation I would split the distance and get closer to the howling coyotes and set up again. I decided to stay put at this stand because once you get about 300 yards closer you are exposed to the sprawling valley below.

I had time for one more stand before dark. Started out the same getting howl backs immediately from a couple different locations. All a long ways away. I spotted a pair two ridges in front of me. They were exchanging howls and then the wind turned around behind my back gently blowing directly to them. They didn't leave but they weren't coming either. One just gave me the bad eye while the other wandered around pizzing on everything. It was getting dark quick and getting hard to see them through my scope. I gave a couple more howls and they started to head my way. I spotted one of them on the ridge across from me about 200 yards but lost it in the sage and could not pick it up in the scope again. I decided it must have got a nose full and left. I was in a ghillie and well hidden so I'm confident they didn't see me. I waited for it to get darker and quietly snuck back to my truck about 1/4 mile away and backed out of the field with my headlights off hoping to be able to return.

Sorry so long winded. I brought a camera this time so here are some pics.

View from where I was sitting looking at the tumbleweed choked fence where the coyotes crawled under. Coyotes are lying straight out from the gun about 60 yards. E-call was in the grass to the right of pic.

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch021.jpg

Standing at coyote #3 (2nd one being the escapee. lol!) looking across the stand. 1st dead coyote laying in the distance.

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch032.jpg

Critters...both males.

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch044.jpg

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch080.jpg

Long stand....

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch013.jpg

Love this call...

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch092.jpg

Windmills to the right of me....

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch095.jpg

Windmills to the left of me...It's like the freaking plague.

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch103.jpg

Lot's of old homesteads out here. Not much left of this one. They just plow around it.

CoyoteHuntImrieRanch009.jpg

Good hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Curt--just a quick question. Is this your usual routine of calling? What I mean is do you always start with mouth blown calls and work your way to the E-caller? Or is there something about the area that makes you use this type of routine? Anyway it looks like a great area and turned into a great hunt. Thanks for all the info--John.

Sometimes it pays to just hang out awhile and see what comes in. Cool pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks guys.

John, yeah most of the time I combine handcalls with the e-call. I usually do the coyote vocalizations with a handcall but I really like that Deathcry on the e-call.

I'll do a distress series with handcall switching to the e-call distress.

Since deer season I've been just using the Skyote mostly. It seems to work good.

Good hunting

Good recount, Curt. I can never seem to wait that long, but might could if the country was open like that and I was getting vocal responses.

Great patience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Looks like you know how to play the way they are moving up there real well.....A sure sign of an excellent hunter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks Sean and Barry.

Yeah, I normally don't stay that long either. It's just one of those spots that has been good over the years and I had such a comfy place to sit. lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good hunting

Congrats on the coyotes Curt, nice looking pair... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Is that a ghillie rolled up and hanging from the tree???? I hunted with a guy who likes those last weekend, they really do seem to work well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Windmills, seem to be a trend, I think they make the landscape look ugly.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last edited:
Waaaaay more patience than I have Curt! If I stay on a stand for 20 minutes, that's a "looooooong" stand for me, LOL!

Good job waiting out the old boss dogs though!

- DAA

Good story and pics, Curt. Thanks for sharing. I am sure it depends a lot on where you are hunting and how much hunting pressure there is, but I kill a lot of my yotes after 30 minutes on stand. They interact with humans a lot in this part of the country which could lead to more caution on their part.

Thanks fellas.

Ken, yup that's one of those Rancho Safari lightweight ghillies. I only use it occasionally. Mostly in the wide open stuff. Probably not needed at this stand. There actually was some brush and trees for once. lol! You are right about the windmills. Ugly as sin. They are going to put some on our property next year. My father inlaw sees dollar signs. I see ruined landscape. Oh well. progress. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yeah long stand for sure Dave and Jim. I don't even hang out that long for cougars sometimes. lol!

Al you are right. Around here after deer season it seems alot of the coyote start dragging their feet coming in. I start staying for 30 minutes in alot of places starting about now. I know that's not the norm for alot of the country. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

berretaman and Rick, thanks much!

Way to go Curt. I love that country over there. I'm starting a picture scrap book of all the old home steads I've come across. Hard to believe that sometimes they put 3 generation in those tiny little places! A great testament to our pioneer heritage.

On the Rancho Safari ghillie suit, Sportsmans Warehouse over there used to carry them but I haven't seen them lately. Do you know if they still have them?

Great pictures and story. I really like the old homestead picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif GENE'O

Back