Simmons New AETEC Master Series

DEFCON

Hi guys
I'm window shopping for a scope to go on a high grade Encore 25-06AI barrel. Don't want to spend $500.00. I have a Meopta meostar "$900.00" But don't really want to put it on the barrel. Saving it for a Howa 1500 Axiom;-)
Those of you that have the Aetec what do you think?
Is it worth $230.00 I'm looking at the Simmons 4-14x44 Aetec Master Rifle Scope. Anyone got this one?
I'm also considering the Leatherwood / Hi-Lux ATR Varmint Country 4-16x50. Any Comments?
Thanks
DEF

I have a 2.5-10x AeTek and have never experienced any problems with it... and mine has been around for a while in a lot of different conditions...

Junk! I have one and I hate it. The parallax adjustment does nothing it's just knob to make you feel good. The cross hairs are fuzzy when the sight pic is clear and the sight pic is fuzzy when the cross hairs are clear. I wouldn't spend a dime on another one. Go with a Nikon Refurb. I bought my 6-18 buckmaster for $249 and it is worth every penny!!!! I also have a 2.8-10x44 aetec and it is a good one. I called simmons and asked about the 4-14 and they couldn't tell me anything. The guy on the phone thought the side adjust knob was for focus, but it doesn't to anything at all.

I agree with MPFD. I've owned 4 different Simmons scopes, including 2 Aetecs and 3 of the 4 scopes were no good and that includes both of the Aetecs. The Aetecs won't hold zero and the other had the cross hairs break loose on my "hard recoiling" .243!! I'm done, never again. On the other hand I've never had a problem with any of the Busnell's, (both cheap ones and the 3200/4200's), Nikon buckmasters and, of course, Leupolds. Spend a few more bucks and get a decent scope.

I've got two of the 2.8 to 10 AETEC's, one on an 8mm Rem mag and one on a light 700 Remington 280 mountain rifle. Both have been on a number of years and both are great scopes. Recoil from the 8 mag sure hasn't fazed mine. Can't tell you about the 4.5 to 14.

Alliant just bought the Simmons line back from Meade optics so the warrentee's should be back on line with RCBS and other companies that they own.

My old hunting partner shoots a 4.5 to 14 Burris and that is a really nice scope.

I think some of the replys you are getting are based on the older Aetec scopes and not the newer Master Series.

I have a 2.8 to 10 and 4.5 to 14 both are the newer Master Series Aetecs. I bought these last year because I needed two scopes and could not afford much more. The 2.8 is on a Savage 50 Cal muzzleloader, and the 4.5 is on a 280 Ackley. The 4.5 has side paralax adjustment that works but it is not calibrated. I sat at the bench and adjusted it at 100 and 200 yards and made mental notes as to where the markings were. I have an older Leupold VXIII 6.5 to 20 with AO and for paralax free at 100 it has to be set at 400 so go figure??

The optics on the master series atetec are pretty good and so far repeatability is good. The new design has some good features. Meade has claimed to have "re-invented the rifle scope". Of course they have sold Simmons, and who knows who the parent company will be tomorrow.

IMO, it is too early to say that the new master series scopes are good or bad. Time will tell.

The optics are good for the price range, but don't start cranking on the windage and elevation adjustments. Mine was non repeatable had internal hang ups that would release the adustments at some unplanned time. Leupold Rifleman, Bushnell, or Nikon are my recomendations.

Funny how everyone's opinion is so differrent. I've only had one experience with this scope and it came last week. A friend of mine bought one for his Remington Model Seven Predator 17 Fireball and then gave it all to me for sighting in, guess he trusts me.

Anyway, I bore sighted it and then within two shots was in the ten ring @50 yds. I've never handled one before, but was impressed with how easily the crosshairs focused with the eyepiece adjustment. I had thrown it up at a target at 50 yds and holy cow, it was all fuzzy. I reached up and turned the side focus(parallax adj) and man, did things really clear up. Looked as clear as any $500 scope. I marched it up an inch then right an inch and so on for the square and it repeated nicely. Side focus is the way to go whatever scope you get.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. My friend is rough on a gun, so I will check back with him after a few months and see if it is holding zero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifRough is an understatement, he had to buy this new scope cause he ran over his old one with the Bad Boy Buggy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. The rifle faired okay, but not the scope.

you might want to check out Natchez Supply. Do a catalog # search for NK6580BR Thats a factory refurbished Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 AO.

they were $220.00 when I bought a couple last month.

I will add the one I mounted on a DPMS Bull upper zero'd fine and tracked well on a grid target. I don't think either of these were ever mounted as I can't find ring marks on the tubes. I'm sure the glass will meet your needs in the $220.00 price range

Last edited:
I've bought three of the new Master Series scopes. I had a problem with one of them, but Simmons sent me another scope within a week. For the money, I'm happy with them.

Quote:
I have never used or seen a good Simmons riflescope! Maybe they make a good one but I've never seen it.

Neither have I.
I did break one on a hard recoiling .204 though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I have had my Simmons AETEC 4-14x44 WA SF Rifle Scope 512104 since Nov. 2007. It has been a great scope, I guess I have been lucky.

It's on my AR15 .223 that I use to hunt Predators, and I have to say, I really like this scope. What is great about it, (for me) is the Wide Angle View it has. At 4 power, it has a great field of view. Especially with the 44m lens up front.

Its not a Zeiss or a NightForce, but for the price (under $200), it is well worth the cost. They can be found for under $200 on xbay, new.

Scope is clear and bright. Works great under low light conditions. I have over 2,000 rounds through 3 uppers. It has been on close to 40 hunting trips here in the Thick Cover of Wa. State. It still holds Zero, after changing from upper to upper.

Sorry to hear many have had problems. Mine has held up well. I have shot my AR with a Nikon, the Buckmaster 6-18 x 40 #6472 for half the day. Then I switched scopes over to the Aetec. I have to say, I found the Aetec had a clearer and brighter glass.

LastCat

"At 4 power, it has a great field of view. Especially with the 44m lens up front."

It may have great FOV but the size of the objective lens has absolutely no effect on FOV. FOV is determined by 3 things and only 3 things:
The occular size, bigger is more FOV.
The power the scope is set on, higher is less FOV.
The eye relief, more eye relief gives less FOV.

Jack

Quote:
"At 4 power, it has a great field of view. Especially with the 44m lens up front."

It may have great FOV but the size of the objective lens has absolutely no effect on FOV. FOV is determined by 3 things and only 3 things:
The occular size, bigger is more FOV.
The power the scope is set on, higher is less FOV.
The eye relief, more eye relief gives less FOV.

Jack

I was stating my own Personal Opinion, about the Wide Angle at 4x. This was not an editorial in American Hunter Magazine. So glad you made me feel at home and got here and straightened things out, otherwise I and others, would surely look like a fool.

LastCat

+1 on the Gameseeker scopes. Academy has/had them for $79 and $99. We got one with a defective reticle and Academy just handed us a new one no questions asked.

Back