Sightmark Photon RT 42s questions

Dultimatpredator

I bought an XT when they first came out. Never did use it at sat in my safe for a couple years. I pulled it out and stuck batteries in it in the screen was flashing on and off. I sent it in the site mark and they warranted it out for an RT. That one has been sitting in my safe for years. lol. I finally pulled it out the other day to play with it and try and get it sighted in. Zero experience with it, but watched a bunch of YouTube videos over the years and how to use it. I went through a set of batteries and almost 5 minutes. I’ll have to try some other ones along with rechargeable ultimate lithium to see if they’ll last longer. I cannot get that darn thing focused to save my life. Played with rear adjustment bell and it seems like it’s super finicky. Doesn’t wanna focus crisp for some reason. I also bought a UNV201R Illuminator back in the day with zero use. I installed that last night and it definitely brightens up what I’m looking at but it still doesn’t seem to help with clarity. I had Lasik done years ago, so I tried reading glasses to look through it, which is awkward, but really didn’t seem to get any clear focus. I know it’s way out of the three-year warranty so I’m gonna have to make do with what’s due. Any suggestions on how to get that thing to focus clear and what type of batteries will work the longest in them?

I got that much figured out the rear is just super sensitive. I was looking at a raccoon last night at almost 100 yards just screwing around with the optic loose off the gun in the backyard and I could never get the darn thing in the focus. It just was blurry the whole time it got close to being focused but not perfect.

No Sir, the scope has a very small hole in the lens cover for daytime viewing with it closed. If you punch out the center section, about a 3/4" circle, and close the lens cover for night viewing it will greatly sharpen the image.

The holes in the cover act as an aperture on a camera. Completely open lets in the most light but has the least depth of field. The small 1/8" hole lets in the least amount of light and allows for the greatest depth of field. The punch out is a compromise and works best. It's all based on photography principals. Click on this link.

Understanding Depth of Field - A Beginner's Guide

Last edited:
Do you any idea how it punches out? I tried to push it with my thumb pretty good and it’s not gonna pop out. I would assume it needs to be broken out or cut out?

I just found a YouTube video showing you could push it from the outside to the inside. Got it snapped out. Thanks. I’ll give it a shot tonight when it gets dark and see if it focus is better. Fingers crossed.

I just took it out in the backyard to give it a try. I use the UNV201R illuminator along with it turned up to about 16 with the built-in illuminator. I had the aperture punched out as well. It focuses 1 million times better thanks for the tip! There was a blue heron about 100 yards away, wading in the water looking for fish, and I could focus clearly on it. I’ve had this thing for years and I’ve never messed with it. I didn’t even realize there were accessories that came with it in the pack. I’ll have to get it out and play with it. After watching a bunch of videos on YouTube with nothing but fuzzy sight pictures I wasn’t expecting any miracles. I can see it focuses a lot better than I think than any video that I’ve seen on YouTube but then again, the videos are enlarged when I’m looking at them on my iPad.

…thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I couldn’t find the receipt from when Sightmark warranted it out with the XT. I was a little nervous about burning down a set of batteries in five minutes. It did the same with a different brand Last night as well. I called site Mark a few days ago when that happened the first time and they told me because I didn’t have a receipt they couldn’t help me. I told him I warranted it through them. They said they did a computer update in 2022 which erased all the customer warranty information apparently. Figured I’d just deal with it and keep trying batteries but I got an email about a half an hour ago, saying that they would warranty it out with a wraith! The option of a 4 x 32 or a 2 x 16. Any suggestions or help with which one I should go with? I’m pretty much set on a 2 x 16 I’m guessing since most of my shots at night are at close range. Don’t really see myself using the optic during daytime but in my woods I may have 150 yard shot max. From a couple of quick reviews On YouTube sounds like the field of view was pretty small ant, or under, under 50 yards. I figure having a colored picture during the daytime would be kind of cool and I’m sure the 1080 digital display is probably a lot better.

I have the Wraith mini in 2x16. It is light years ahead of the Photons. Are you planning on using it on an AR or Bolt? The included IR light will allow you to shoot over 150 yds. with no problem. The mini is really built for use on an AR but you can make it work on a bolt with an extended mount. On a bolt, you would need a rail attachment of some sort to mount the light. Mine does pretty well up to 8 power without much pixilation.

Here is a video of a coyote I killed on my bait pile at 100 yds. with the Wraith Mini.

And another one of some crows I shot during daytime at the same distance.

Finally here is a video of a red fox showing the zoom levels of the Wraith Mini.

Don't know if those will help you any.

I was planning on using it on a couple of my bolt guns. Some rimfire and some center fires. I do have AR‘s but I figured I wanted to try it on something I can plink with first and get used to it.

I have UNV 201R illuminator I figured I’d use with it. Maybe try both the one included along with the 201R at the same time?

Do they have a punch out like the photon?

I would assume the anchutz woodchuck I won’t need The extended mount for. Super small 22lr kid gun with a short length of pull. I had to install picatinny rails on my other bolt guns along with an AR scope mount I reversed to get the photon to work.

This was an off brand rimfire to picatinny mount I bought off Amazon the other day to run on my rimfires with the photon. RT. I was debating on trying it with the wraith when it arrives. Think it will work with the wraith? It's mounted on an Anschutz woodchucker Kid’s rifle with a super short length of pull...

I just stripped it all down and removed the palmetto 30mm one piece optic ring set, the off brand 30mm IR mount, and the rimfire to picatiiny base for now. Would assume I can at least use the base with my new optic.

I bought and installed a couple of aluminum and steel EGW mounts for my 22wmr American and LTR to run it as well. I'm sure the bolt gun base will work fine with the EGWs?

I had it set up to run on a few rifled but never used it. The field of view along with the lack of crispness made me grab my hog light instead.

So Sightmark customer service was awesome again! This is the second time They upgraded me! Started with the XT that the screen started blinking after two years of sitting and no use. They sent this RT.ised it once to try abs sight during the day time and it’s sat since. Pulled it out to Use it to hunt for the first time and it’s eating batteries every 5 to 15 min on average. So they are upgrading to a Wraith! I’ll make sure to use this one…lol.

Last edited:
Back