Shooting carp

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I did a little work on my duck skiff/layout boat to be able to fish out of it. Duck season here means duck the first few hours of the morning and the rest of the day hanging out. So I fitted out the boat to fish also. Removable rod holder an in expensive depth finder etc. I took it out today to try out the changes. I spent a good part of the morning trolling (rowing I need the exercise) for cats. No luck but did notice some carp in the shallows so went back to the van and grabbed a taller seat and my fishing bow. I started stalking the shoreline and found a few. Killed five and brought home three and missed twice that many. I is amazing how had it is to get myself to aim below the fish. Fun day, I would have stayed longer but the gnats were brutal.

I'll take the big boat next time much more comfortable to fish and shoot carp out of.

Bow fishing spawning carp is a blast! I’ve given a few to people that said they wanted them but I could never convince myself that I wanted to eat one. In other words, I never brought one home. I used to give some to an old timer that wanted them to fertilize his garden. Not sure if he just buried the things or how he went about it but yhe old boy had a killer vegetable garden every year.

I wish I could go for them right now as I have tagged out for spring turkey season. But I just had carpal tunnel surgery on left hand with plans to do the right in a couple weeks. The price of aging gracefully I suppose? Lol

I use to do some semi-serious bow fishing. We have a group here in Okla that live and breath bow fishing. I use to hang out with them but they are way to serious for me. They have big money shoots through the summer and into fall and they all have big expensive boat rigged up just for bow fishing. They can fill a 55 gallon barrel in short work and usually more than one in an evening hunt. There will always be a bunch of colored folks with their own barrels ready and willing to take as many carp, buffalo and gar as they can carry. One old gentleman told me he could fix carp and I couldn't tell the difference between the carp and a crappie. Never had the chance to find out.

I started shooting carp wading the Milwaukee River in the 1950s it's a fun thing for me. Never got into competitive shooting, I really like to use what I shoot.

Back