Sheep Predation Pictures (New Kill Added)

Cal,
I certainly didn't mean to imply that you didn't know how big the pups were. I think you have forgotten more about coyotes than I know about them! I respect your opinion far to much to dispute it. Is it possible they may have them a little earlier here so they are grown more in time for the hard winters. Please continue to give me your opinion on these matters. Until the last couple of years I have been strictly a recreational hunter of coyotes. I am now being called on for situations that matter so I am trying to learn as much as possible on predation and the habits of the ones doing it.
What state are you from, I see Gillette in your profile, just not sure which state. I just want to compare climates. Again just trying to learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks,
Lee Smith
"Yellerdog"

Edited to add: Cal I was just reading you Peg leg and a den story again (on another board) and I see it's Wyoming. Maybe you could share that story here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I found that extremely informative and interesting!

Something you guys need to remember here. Coyotes do not breed by the clock, but rather by the calendar. The coyote is a seasonal breeder, reproductively active between November and June dependent upon geographical location. The estrous cycle is initiated in December. Copulation does not spontaneously occur on the same day by your states entire coyote population.

Ovulation occurs early in the spring and is distributed over a 2-month period. Impregnation can occur anytime within this 6-8 week window. Now add the gestation period of 60 days. What this means is that parturition can occur as early as the beginning of May or as late as the end of June. That is why some pups are already out running with the parents, while 10 miles away they are still chewing on twigs and hanging around the den.

NASA,
Youare pretty dang close to being correct again. Here in western Iowa, the first pups seem to hit the ground around april 15th, but it isn't that unusual for new pups hitting the ground as late as middle of may. (maybe even later) I think that Rich "book worm" Higgins is seeing about same thing in Arizona. Sorry R. H., I couldn't stop myself. The devil made me say that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cal,
Yep, there were a lot of coyotes in that area alright. It was on a farm near Pisgah, Iowa which is home of the Old Home fill er up and keep on truckin' Cafe. The lady who was raising those sheep, hung the dead coyotes from top wire of her fence, out by the public road. People are probably still talking about that deal down at the barber shop in Pisgah.

Close? :eek: Rich, I'd call that dead nuts, TDC, LOL! I included the tolerance factor in that equation, didn't I? Pups hit the ground 60 days after copulation. That bonnin' can take place as early as Jan/Feb in warmer climates. A mild winter can influence the breeding cycle in northern geographical locations, as well.

Rich,
Do you recall what month it was when you got the six wet ones? The two females that I got recently were both dry, I could still tell that pups had been nursing not to long ago. I would think the climate in Iowa would be quite similar to Michigan.

Ive taken pups of that size in October. But then again our coyotes do say "Yo quiero Taco Bell" down here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I cant add much more to Nasa's post above, he pretty much hit the nail pretty square.

Yellerdog,
I believe that it was week of may 10th when I started that job, and I worked it about three weeks. I am going by memory at this point, but I do have the dates recorded in my file cabinet. I would be surprised if I found a wet bitch this late into the summer. There could be some pups still hanging close to the den and being fed by the stomach contents of their parents though. Even the older pups (born in april) are probably returning to the area of their den on fairly regular basis. Howling at night can help you locate den area's. Sneaking in close, within a quarter mile or so of those dens at first light and making like a strange coyote in the area can often bring some exciting action.

Thanks Rich,
I just downloaded some aerial photos of the new area where I believe they are/were denning. Since I just got permission to hunt this parcel I haven't walked any of it yet. I have been hunting the sheep farm for some time though and have become quite familar with it. I'll study the aerial photo's, scout it and try sneaking in just before daylight.

f7df99df.jpg

f7df99e6.jpg

This is a puppy that came in with two adults two weeks ago. Very big and very aggressive . The adults stood off two ridges over and watched it run my dog back and forth for close to an hour. I videoed it. Tyler videoed it from another angle and Mattie videoed it from her angle. The adults left after 10 minutes or so, never did close in with Mattie, left it to the pup. This weekend Robb and I found three dens that were still used by small puppies.

Like I had said, some YoY can be as much as 6 weeks older than their neighbors. It all depends on when mamma got poked.

NASA,
This is a family web site here! Please tone down the sexual innuendo. :eek: :eek: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My humblest appologies to those of a hyper-sensitive moral persuasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

This one was found this afternoon. It was in another pasture at the north end of the farm, about a half mile from the first four. It was a little larger than the others.

114_1465.jpg

Back