SCOPE CLARITY???????????

Originally Posted By: Irish_80I'll go ahead and stop now

That would probably be a good idea, as you have been lost from the start........
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunAccording to Webster: "clear" means easily seen through.

I can easily see through a Tasco as easily as I can see through a Schmidt and Bender. But one is obviously better than the other, optically. Why? This is where terms like contrast, resolution, color rendition, brightness, etc. come into play. The term "clarity" cannot be used to describe these differences. It tells you nothing of any specifics.........

Are the S&B scopes a lot better than the Tasco scopes?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: Irish_80I'll go ahead and stop now

That would probably be a good idea, as you have been lost from the start........
grin.gif

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/spotting-scopes/gr-spotting-scopes/gr-12-40x60mm-hd/

Pretty sure I read the word clarity on the Leupold website. They are in the optics industry aren't they? You're a fan, right?

Nope haven't been lost. I understand you are a "scope guy" that shoots long range at your local club so you have looked through piles of scopes. Me I'm just a simple guy that can tell that it's harder to see the target looking through a Bushnell banner, tasco varmint, Barska or any other scope that doesn't have the same "resolution".

Just so I'm not lost any more how would you describe a Weaver T-36?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: Irish_80I'm pretty sure the word clarity is used in the hunting optics industry.

Actually, no, they don't. And if they did, it would be as a marketing ploy, and not talking to one another. it is NOT a scientific term.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunClarity is simply NOT a term people in the optics industry use. With good reason.

When someone speaks in terms of color rendition, contrast, flatness of image, image resolution, edge to edge clarity, brightness, abberation, etc. I know what they mean. When they say "My scope is really nice and clear" it really means NOTHING. It's like describing water as being wet.......

Do you see your above statement? Leupold used the term on the website I linked. I don't care if it is marketing or not, they used it and you said it's not a term that is used.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOnly slightly. They are both really clear
grin.gif

Thank you very much for the clear-ification!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNope. It won't change the definition of "clear".

"Clear" simply tells you NOTHING when describing optics.......

This sounds like the argument for trickle down economics.
lol.gif

When a friend I'm hunting with is using under $80 compact binoculars and I hand him my high end 12x compacts and tell him to check these out they are invariably blown away and say something about how clear they are such as, "whoa, these are unbelievably clear".

Clear says a lot about the difference between high and low quality glass.

Quote: Clarity is simply NOT a term people in the optics industry use. Yeah, they use the term "optical clarity". Plenty of white papers/research papers avaiable by folks in the industry.

Well, the only thing I know for sure is that the CLARITY of my simmons 22 mag 3x9 scope is better than the CLARITY of my vxii 3x9 leupold. That is, I can see 22 cal bullet holes better at 100 yards with the cheap scope. Go figure.

JD

Originally Posted By: bigdog1Well, the only thing I know for sure is that the CLARITY of my simmons 22 mag 3x9 scope is better than the CLARITY of my vxii 3x9 leupold. That is, I can see 22 cal bullet holes better at 100 yards with the cheap scope. Go figure.

JD

This is a PEFECT example of someone using the term "clarity" generically. And EXACTLY what I'm talking about here. "Image resolution" is of what you speak.

When you tell me your Simmons is "more clear" I have no idea what you mean. When you say it has better image resolution, I know exactly what you mean........

If anything, excellent optical clarity is a derivative of a number of specific factors. Without the inclusion of such factors, it is impossible to discuss/compare 2 optics in any kind of an intelligent/specific manner. Without said inclusions, I have a hard time getting anything of any substance out of given opinions. Make sense??

Back