schooling needed on the Ackley Improved

snake plisken1

Read an artickle or two on some of the things Ackley covered such as headspacing, etc. My question is: Is this a cartridge type on its own? Meaning, for my Tikka T3 in .22-250, can I shoot AI in that caliber in my rifle, or does it need to be a rifle designed specifically for AI? If not, please explain reloading changes other than just purchasing AI dies from, say RCBS. I saw the special order flier that accompanied my RCBS catalog, and some of these dies will definately say AI 30 degree, while others list just a degree figure. I only own a 7mm-08 and '06 both in Remington, and the 3rd rifle is the Tikka in .22-250. Can these be used to shoot AI loads? What are the benefits and/or pitfalls aside from $$ that happen with any type of change over from standard cartridges to the AI? So many questions, and like always, I appreciate all feedback. School starts now....

Your chamber needs to be cut to the right angle. So the short answer is no they cant with out a trip to the smith. But if you do get your chamber reamed you can shoot regular loads in th AI chamber. There are quite a few AI guys on here that will be along and explain it better than I can

the ai has a different degree on the neck. when you shoot a regular load through an ai chamber it fire forms to that chamber. with the ai the purpose behind that is that it will hold more powder and will shoot faster. personally i dont see the point in one.

The Ackley improved has a steeper shoulder, usually 40 degrees instead of 30 or less like the typical factory cartridges. Also the diameter is larger at the shoulder. All this allows more powder to be contained in the Improved cartridges, thus more speed. Thrust on the bolt among other things change too.

If you want to shoot 22-250 AI in your rifle, your chamber has to be reamed with an Improved reamer. Then you can shoot the improved or a factory cartridge, which will fire form it to the new chamber dimensions.

I love my 22-250 AI. It also has less case stretch so that means less trimming.

SDC10125.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. 223 AI on the left, 223 Rem (parent case) on the right. The ackley has less taper and a sharper shoulder. It holds more powder, and stretches less, thus requiring less trimming. You shoot the parent case in the Ackley chamber, and they are fireformed to the Ackley. For fireforming I load the same load that I would use in formed cases, with the same accuracy and velocity, so there is no wasted ammo or barrel life.

I think they make a lot of sense if you want something a little different and with a little more performance. My only Ackley's so far are a pair of AR's in the 223 AI. They are both deadly accurate and run like sewing machines, and have started a bit of a trend locally.

Originally Posted By: markley personally i dont see the point in one.

Faster bullet, longer case life and you don't see the point???

204 Who did you get your barrels from? Always thought it would be cool to have a .223AI in a AR.

Having read a lot but never owned, I also don't see the point in anything with an AI on the end of it. There's nowhere near enough of a difference for me to spend the $ to rebore, buy new dies etc.

But other people wouldn't see the need for the calibers in my collection either, to each their own.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: markley personally i dont see the point in one.

204 Who did you get your barrels from? Always thought it would be cool to have a .223AI in a AR.

....and no case trimming.

Yea faster bullet would be better but if im already getting the groups i want why go to an ai. also faster bullet means less barrel life. also my cases for my 7-08 and 223 dont seem to really stretch out much.

Most of Mr Ackley's design not only change the shoulder angle but most also eliminate some of the case taper. In other words his cases are a lager diameter at the shoulder than the parent case. That "improvement" is what lessens the amount of case stretch. The AI case being larger it will not fit into a parent case chamber.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderOriginally Posted By: markley personally i dont see the point in one.

My barrels were chambered and machined for the barrel extension and gas port/block by a local machinist/gunsmith. They are both Remington factory take-offs, one a heavy 26" and the other a pencil 24". I don't have much money wrapped up in either one, but they shoot very well and run equally well with the right mags. In fact the magazine pickiness is the only downfall, and that is a small price to pay.

My smith tried to talk me out of it at first, he didn't think there would be much gain till he saw the targets and the velocities that could be had. I really like those two rifles, and the light one is my favorite AR.

well maybe i will have to give it a try. im in the process of trying to figure out if my barrel is burnt up on my 22-250. if it is i just might have to do a 22-250 ai

Ackley's aren't for every one. Yes you need a second set of dies and they can be pricey. Yes you gain some velocity. Yes it slows down case growth. It your rifle is a POS, after you AI it, its still a POS cause making it an Ackley probably wont change that. BUT- it sure makes sexy looking cases!!

they work great longer case life,and your smith can do your dies to.my 280 ackley shoots like a 7mm almost the same speed and less powder so they are not barrel burners.

Not knowing for sure, but if the AI is the same OAL as parent cartridge, it wouldn't give a burnt out barrel of the parent cartridge a new life just by reaming it out to AI would it?

DAB

You would have to set it back and rechamber. A properly cut AI chamber is about .004" shorter than the SAAMI parent chambering. That allows you to get a slight crush fit with positive headspace for proper ff'ing.

Originally Posted By: markleyYea faster bullet would be better but if im already getting the groups i want why go to an ai. also faster bullet means less barrel life. also my cases for my 7-08 and 223 dont seem to really stretch out much.

"much" is a hard term to put a number on. My oldest 223AI brass has 22+ firings on it without a trim. Don't have my exact notes in front of me, but my oldest 243AI brass has 16-18 firings on it now without having to see the trimmer either.

If you're happy with what you have now then there is no reason to go AI. You only have to make yourself happy and that's what counts. I feel the +'s outweight the -'s with the AI's, though some don't feel that way.

Here's the 243AI next to the 25-06AI.

IMG_20110408_155057.jpg

Back