Savage Model 11 204 Ruger value and thoughts

William Suter

Local pawn shop has a Savage Model 11 in 204 Ruger for sale that has my interest up a little. I like the 204 round and have one in a Contender that shoots decent. Not a one holer but pretty good. I like the idea of a bolt rifle for a quicker second shot if needed. The Savage isn't fancy but not hammered and comes with a Nikon 3x9 and its a sporter contoured barrel so it would be fairly light weight. IIRC they are asking $450ish for the rifle. I can usually get it for around that out the door. If lowering the price without the Nikon it might be an even better deal as I have several scopes to replace it. Just curious if that's a fair price and if they are accurate rifles. I've had several Savages in the past and accuracy usually was good. Just never had a sporter in 204R.

Its has an ugly green paint job on the stock but I'd probably paint it myself so I really didn't discount for that....until I try to buy it. Then I'll mention it LOL.

I've had pretty good luck with the Savage rifles as far as accuracy. Even with a number of rounds through it they usually shoot pretty good. As for the scope, it would be the first thing to go as I don't need it. I'm not to sure how bad I "need" the rifle as I haven't loaded a round or fired a shot in months. Been dealing with a family member and medical issues since before Christmas. Seems like every spare minute I'm helping her but hopefully I get some free "me" time soon.

I went back today and got the Savage for $450 and tax. I left the Nikon on it thinking I'll just use it on another rifle or flip it. The store owner loaned me a much needed tool the other day and figured I owed him one so I didn't do much haggling. He's a super nice guy and we do a lot of trading. He also threw in 35 rounds of factory ammo so it sweetened the deal a little to. I must say this rifles action is smooth. One of the smoothest Savage actions I've ever felt. Now for a good cleaning and see if I can do something with the ugly azz green paint the previous owner sprayed on it. Hopefully it will come off or I can just paint over it.

Well I didn't spend much time with the old paint. I gave it a quick sanding and smoothed over the chips. Then a coat of tan with some dark brown stripes then a little light colored tan with a sponge. It maybe took an hour but looks better than the metallic green that was on it. If it shoots good it will get a new stock and scope. If it doesn't.........I'll deal with that at a later date.

Well I didn't spend much time with the old paint. I gave it a quick sanding and smoothed over the chips. Then a coat of tan with some dark brown stripes then a little light colored tan with a sponge. It maybe took an hour but looks better than the metallic green that was on it. If it shoots good it will get a new stock and scope. If it doesn't.........I'll deal with that at a later date.
Well, we need before and after pictures...šŸ˜šŸ˜

When I lost my old name and started from scratch again I don't even get on here with my cell phone anymore and that's my only source for pictures. Truth be known, I don't even remember my new password. I had it wrote down and seem to have misplaced it. LOL, great memory just real short.

The price is probably close, probably get it a tad cheaper w/o scope. I've had good luck with Savage rifles straight out of the box, good accuracy, sub MOA with the right ammo. I'm shooting an ole Rem 700 and a Ruger American Gen 2 both in a .204, love the round! :)

I probably over paid a little for the rifle but it is the newer version with the round barrel nut and bottom bolt release. Judging by the bolt face and after cleaning I don't think the rifle was abused. I cleaned with a copper remover solvent and got no ugly blue patches, just a little carbon fouling. There's been to much wind and now rain so I haven't got to make a trip to the range yet. The rifle came with some ammo but have no clue what it is. Looks a lot like a V-Max but no idea of weight. I may pull a bullet just to see.

I'm not a big fan of the .204 Ruger. That said, I've owned several Savage rifles and have liked most of them. No, they're not fancy and don't look anywhere as cool as Sakos, but they're got it where it counts. About fifteen years ago I bought a Savage Model 110 in .30-06. I ended up giving it to an old army buddy a couple years later. He tells me that with his handloads it often outshoots rifles costing several times as much on his 500 yard range. A couple years later I picked up a Savage Model 12 Varmint in .223. With the right ammo, I've has it produced 1/4" groups at 100 yards! I bought a couple Savage .22s that aren't anything to write home about, but all their other rifles have impressed me considerably--especially for the money. I wager that if you purchase this one you won't be disappointed with it.

Back