Saturday Female

DoubleLungRage

Last year I had a pack of coyotes move into the cut down across the road from my house. The very first time I hunted them I called in two, but they surprised me and I missed them with the shotgun. I tried hunting them several more times, but they were too call shy and eventually moved to their winter spot. Well a few weeks ago they came back across the road to their Spring den. Saturday night I decided to hunt the pack behind my house because they have annoyed me ever since I called them into the field a few weeks ago, but they were too far to shoot. As soon as I turned on the call (a few howls) the pack in front of my house sounded off. I also noticed that there was a single coyote on the other side of the cutdown barking. I thought that he may be an easy one so I packed up my things and headed across the road. Set up, tried a few distress calls then switched to vocals and they sounded off. A few minutes later I switched over to a denning call and about two minutes into it two of them come down the road. At about 60-70 yards the lead coyote must have senesced something and jumped into the brush. Just as the second one turned to go into the brush I anchored her. I tried to get the other one to come back, but he wouldn't. 60-70 yards .223 55gr Norma TipStrike

If you look, I hit her in the center of her ham and it came out about the same place on the other side. She dropped and never moved so I don't know what it hit that was vital, but it hit something.

coyote1.jpg

Last edited:
Fragmentation may have got to the backbone. I have settled on Hornady 55gr Vmax in 223 and am well satisfied with the results, coyote or hog.

Norma makes good ammo… you just had to get that bullet close and it would have done the same thing.

Congrats on tipping over another one. No matter how you went about it. They all count.

Fragmentation may have got to the backbone. I have settled on Hornady 55gr Vmax in 223 and am well satisfied with the results, coyote or hog.
I have tried both the Superformance and VE, but my AR shoots the Norma better. Pretty sure I got a bad barrel because my AR is pretty much trash with almost every ammo I've tried.

Back