RIX Optics Storm S3.

OKRattler

This looks like it would be a pretty good option for the money. Does anyone have any experience with RIX optics and what is your opinion on them? This is the first I've heard of that company so I don't have any opinion one way or another. Just thought it looked like a pretty cool scope for less than $2,000.

I have the RIX Leap L3 thermal scope. I’m really happy with it so far. Prices of their optics are really decent and features like simple 18650 batteries and optical zoom were things I was looking for. The scope has been solid. Customer service has been excellent. It holds zero across the different bullet profiles that I have established. I don’t worry about dead batteries and needing to charge the scope. I just throw a fresh one in right in the field when it needs it.

The only lingering issue with the scope is with how it stores pictures and videos. There’s a known bug that they are trying to figure out where it puts all of the pics and videos in a folder dated 2014 rather than the correct year and date. They’re still in there but the filing system is screwy. Not a big deal to me as I bought the scope to see and kill things in the dark, not to be a videographer. To some it may be a big deal?

That's good news. I'm considering RIX as an option. The video and picture deal wouldn't be a big deal to be either. I've used several thermal scopes, I never think to hit record anyways. It's a cool feature I just don't ever think to record when I'm about to shoot something. Been a lot of times I probably should I just never have. One less thing I had to do I guess.

I have been running the Leap L6 for the past few weeks. they have issues with recordings getting corrupted, but they are working on those issues. The re-chargeable batteries drain fast if you hunt in below freezing temps. I hunted Saturday night in 95-100% humidity and drizzling rain and it still had a good Imagine.

I have been running the Leap L6 for the past few weeks. they have issues with recordings getting corrupted, but they are working on those issues. The re-chargeable batteries drain fast if you hunt in below freezing temps. I hunted Saturday night in 95-100% humidity and drizzling rain and it still had a good Imagine.
I’ve hunted quite a bit below freezing and I find the batteries last quite a long time. I may run it a little different than you though. I run mine in standby mode until I pick up something with my scanner. I’m not running the app at all so wifi is off. I left wifi on once and found batteries depleted much faster. I run brightness settings on the lower end. And I use quality batteries. I learned in my days of running lights that not all 18650’s are created equal! Lol…

I have only had a couple corrupted videos and they were of the recoil activated video type. I never remember to push the button for video so I just keep the rav set to on. It’s nice to be able to see your kills and moreso, what happens on the iffy ones and bad shots, but like I said, it certainly isn’t why I bought the optic.

I also have run the L3 in hight humidity, drizzle and snow and I think it performs great under less than ideal conditions. I really wish I went for the L6. I was worried about it being a brand new, untested product so went with the L3. Honestly it’s fine for my terrain and distances but who doesn’t want more clarity?!

Have you any experience on targets with using the optical zoom? Wondering about a point of impact shift with optical zoom changes. Rix leaper owners. The storm looks interesting, not sure about the attachment base. Also which 18650 battery type, the short version(no + headcap) flat on both ends are hard to find. No external power supply plug capability?

Last edited:
Have you any experience on targets with using the optical zoom? Wondering about a point of impact shift with optical zoom changes. Rix leaper owners. The storm looks interesting, not sure about the attachment base. Also which 18650 battery type, the short version(no + headcap) flat on both ends are hard to find. No external power supply plug capability?
I’ve noticed no impact shift at all with optical zoom. Not sure how it could shift as it’s just zooming in on the screen inside the scope? Have you heard of this as an issue?

Leap series will run button top or flat top 18650. Leap also has USB C port that you can run an external power supply to. It doesn’t work as a charging port though. Batteries need to be charged on a separate charger.

Hunt0168, do you use the optical zoom while hunting? If so does the screen display image quality drop noticeably? How about the digital zoom vs optical zoom which would be better for zeroing, targets?

Hunt0168, do you use the optical zoom while hunting? If so does the screen display image quality drop noticeably? How about the digital zoom vs optical zoom which would be better for zeroing, targets?
I’m not a big zoomer but I do use the optical zoom for hunting as it is very convenient to use. You just twist the ocular bell like any variable day optic. I prefer this because it’s very familiar to me. I rarely use the digital zoom at all. I think the image stays just a hair sharper with the optical vs digital. I am using the L3 which is the 384 so zooming either way gets pixelated pretty quickly. I haven’t looked through the L6 640 but imagine it’s considerably better.

The downside to the optical zoom is that as you zoom in, because you’re zooming in on the reticle center you lose the edges of the display screen. Any menu items disappear as you zoom. Clock, mode indicator etc. It’s not a big deal. BUT if you’re zoomed in and want to change any settings you won’t be able to see the settings menu without zooming back out.

I don’t know that there’s an advantage one way or another as far as sighting in? Other than with optical it’s a smooth zoom that can be stopped anywhere. Digital is stepped. If you were to sight in on a circular target you could use the circle reticle and zoom until the reticle matches the target perfectly and know your center point would be perfectly centered.

My understanding is RIX is a 'white label' assembler. Yes, the zoom is on the display only so resolution decreases just like digital zoom.

RIX is a new company that just got started. I have had the RIX T-20 NV since Christmas and use it a LOT. So far I am happy with it.

With that said, since thermal has come such a long way in the past few years (I am very cautious of shooting at a blob vs a clearly identified target) I have decided to buy a 640 thermal by the end of the year or the first of next. If they can get the bugs worked out of their current line up, I will probably go with RIX. As someone earlier mentioned they are having issues with the videos and mics. They are working on firmware to fix the video issue, but from what I have gathered, the mic issue may not be so easy to fix.

Two things that the RIX thermals are getting a tons of hype about is their ability to cut through fog/humidity and their clarity. Join a few of the RIX FB pages and you will see that for the money, the clarity is pretty dang good. Most of the time someone compares the L6 to another scope, it's one that's a good bit more expensive. To me, that says a lot.

Thermals don't 'see' the moisture, NV does. I did a shot capture with IR, see the 'shot' flash for one frame. May need a flash can.
Please correct me if I’m misinterpreting your post, but If you are insinuating that moisture and fog in the air have no effect on a thermal image, your thinking is incorrect. Moisture and fog can, and definitely do degrade the image quality of thermal optics. Not to the point of being completely useless like NV using an IR illuminator, but there’s certainly degradation.

Please correct me if I’m misinterpreting your post, but If you are insinuating that moisture and fog in the air have no effect on a thermal image, your thinking is incorrect. Moisture and fog can, and definitely do degrade the image quality of thermal optics. Not to the point of being completely useless like NV using an IR illuminator, but there’s certainly degradation.
And correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have been seeing (videos) and reading the two better 640s for this right now seem to be RIX and IRAY?

And correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have been seeing (videos) and reading the two better 640s for this right now seem to be RIX and IRAY?
I don’t think you are wrong at all. I think RIX does an excellent job at cutting through the moisture in the air.

I’m simply pointing out that popper43’s comment that “Thermals don’t “see” moisture. NV does.” Isn’t necessary correct. But again, I may be misinterpreting what he is saying?

Back