Remington model 7 predator

Take the pressure pad off the front of the stock and take 1" wooden dowel, wrap with sand paper, and sand until no contact with the barrel. That should help you out some. Also check the receiver screws and make sure they are snug. And welcome to the Site.

Last edited:
Jim,
First thing I would check is my mounts and scope to make sure nothing is broken or working loose. I would also check my action screws. Then if all that checks out I am going to tell you something weird, but it is easy to try and won't cost you anything except a very little time.

Before you free float the barrel, instead actually add some pressure on that little pressure pad in the fore end of the stock. My rifle was very finicky about loads, shot some of them pretty well and some of them really poorly. I added some oil soaked business card shims on that little pressure point in the fore end of the rifle and it settled mine right down. A little pressure and something semi-soft to dampen vibrations and many loads now shoot sub-moa with the best hovering right at .5” consistently. It is easy to try and doesn’t cost you anything, if it doesn’t work you can always move on to other steps.

Great idea! I like the idea of trying a shim before removing material. Thing is I was floored when we broke down this rifle and discovered the grid like configuration all through the composite forend. Kinda hard to tell where exactly the barrel might be getting pressure from. Most all of my rifles have been savages that all have free floated barrels and I have been successful at getting them to shoot tight groups. All said...in the end I want this rifle to shoot .5inch 5 shot groups at a 100yds. Have several loads worked up for it but have to solve this problem before moving forward! Thank you for your time fellas!

That large of a group says scope/scope mounts to me. Make sure they're tight, and do a function test of the scope. Eliminate that before you go changing the stock dynamics, etc.

My BIL has one in .260 that shot a six-inch group.I checked for loose screws, barrel float, pressure point etc. The barrel crown was somehow cut on an angle. A $25.00 re-crown job shrunk his group size considerably.

We put a new Vortex scope on this rifle with Leupold rings. I have checked several times to see if everything was tight and have found nothing obvious. The only thing that I am not sure about was the front ring. The dovetail configuration looks to be a good design but I am unsure of when I have the ring rotated to run parrell with the barrel. What else; or how else can I check this out to be sure the scope and mounts are elimated from my problem! Once again thanks for the help...

I went ahead and pulled the scope back off this rifle. I then rotated the front ring until I had it running exactly parrell with the barrell. So we need to get back to the range and see if we have changed anything. How can I make sure the scope is completely functional and or rule it out of the problem? At some point I am gonna go ahead and free float the barrell and bed the action along with stiffening the forend.

Back