Radical Firearms AR won’t shoot a consistent group, what could be my issue?

I have a radical firearms AR in .223 (1/7 twist rate) that I have been having issues with finding factory ammo that it shoots accurately or consistently for that matter. It has a vortex diamondback 3x9 scope mounted properly on it so I don’t think it is an issue with the scope or mounting. I’ve tried Hornady 75g bthp, hornady 55g varmit express, hornady 55g superformance, Barnes 55g vor-tx and it seems like almost none are shooting a 3 shot group consistently at 100yds off of a lead sled. Does anyone have any recommendations of a certain ammo I could try or do you guys think it could be an issue with the barrel or twist rate? I purchased the rifle new. Thanks in advance!

I would say 1.5 - 2 inch groups, but in my opinion a inconsistent group is when shooting from a stable position a 3 or 4 shot group will never land on target with any predictable placement to make adjustments off of. One shot may go an inch high and right the next may go an inch and a half low and left etc. never a consistent group even when shooting off of a lead sled or prone.

By what I'am reading, I would look at the scope and mounts first. Then the barrel nut is torqued correctly. With that much inconsistent, something is loose or bad.

If you have bad scope mount, it may be putting torque on your scope.

If you tightened your scope clamps on too tight, you could have easily crushed the scope internals.

Attached is a good video. There are several more in continuation of this one, on this guys channel.

Consider trying a new scope, and mount if the option exists.

Pull your bolt, insert charging your handle and then carrier. See if your gas tube is binding on the carrier key.

Check and make dang sure your Mlok attachments are not touching your gas block.

Make dang sure your gas block is not touching your hand-guard. Not even close!

Pull your muzzle break if you have one. I have seen accuracy numbers cut in half by removing those.

Give your barrel a good cleaning. I have seen burrs left over from drilling the gas hole. For some reason that area can become a copper magnet. And copper will build there.

First scrub the barrel with solvent and a bronze brush. Then use chemicals to remove the copper. Or... Do something else. But try to get that barrel cleaned.

I have never used a lead sled before with an AR-15

might want to try a heavier bullet
for that twist try 80-90 gr's might be just the ticket
factory ammo is never a good place to look for good tight groups/ handloads will get you more consistent ammo IMO
there is some very good factory stuff from what I hear but my experience handloads always out preform factory

Do this: Put the gun on bags, a rest, or something so that it will sit there by itself. Now look through the scope. Move your head left to right and up and down while looking through the scope without the gun moving. Does the scope reticle move around on the target as you move your head?

Looking into getting a lighter trigger would be my suggestion. You could be pulling the shot with a heavy trigger. My POF with its best group and a 4 1/2 pound trigger was a quarter inch at 100 yards. I swapped it out to a 3 pound Timney that breaks at 2 1/2 pounds. When I re tested the exact same load shot .2 to .3 inches pretty consistent at 200 yards with the lighter trigger.

if you have a crappy old mill spec 2 stage heavy pull trigger in there I’m guessing that your issue if it’s not the scope and the rings.

Back