Primitive Firearm Season

William Suter

I was just reading a post on another site and they were discussing firearms they wished they still made and old style black powder rifles were one of them. In todays market the inline has pretty much killed the old style rifles but I have to admit, I do kinda miss them. Seems there was always more "excitement" hunting with the old hammer style Hawken style rifles, at least for me. It was always a thought, is this thing gonna go bang or click. I been thinking of getting an old T/C and break out my recurve and go totally "old school" just one season. Inlines are nice and accurate but there isn't much difference in them and a centerfire anymore.

Nevada still keeps it interesting by saying no smokeless powders, no optics allowed, even red dots. Open sights only.

Oh boy you've brought up a can of worms.

Originally, primitive seasons were designed to allow hunting with the weapons of our fore fathers and has morphed into a single shot season that is just a hair from being modern rifle season.

Some will say that the inline rifle and optic sights is just a progression or advancement of the muzzleloader. We did that 170 years ago and we now have the modern hunting rifle(AR).

Even the percussion cap was just a short lived advancement of the muzzle loader, in use for only about 40 yrs while the flintlock was in use for 200 years.

IMO primitive rifle seasons should be flintlocks, round balls and open sights as used to found this country, keep food on the table and defend the homestead and country. If you want to shoot with sabots, scopes, take them out during modern season and feel that you accomplished something using a single shot rifle, just like Ruger #1 shooters.

IDK, it just seemed a lot more fun using the old rifles. Maybe more of a challenge. Guys at the club sight in for 200+ yard shots with smokeless powder rifles. In todays world they are just single shot rifles IMO.. They are great, they are accurate, but they are also boring. Maybe I'll do some shopping and find me something old to hunt with this season.

Pennsylvania still has a primitive rifle season for deer after Christmas. Only flintlock ignition is allowed, no scopes but open v-notch and peep sights are allowed. Very fun season, more states should do this.

Years ago, the then President of my gun club, had a custom flintlock built with a matching flintlock pistol. Beautiful wood and German silver inlays on both. From what I heard, he paid big money and had a long wait time for them. While deer hunting, he got so intrigued by all the wood and silver he let a couple of nice deer walk right passed him. I guess my old gunsmith buddy was with him. He said the deer were so close he could have almost clubbed them. LOL I guess there are draw backs.

Back