Predator Masters Hunt (east) cont.

coyotehunter 1

Instead of getting more off topic replies on the previous post "stocking rabbits", I thought it would be better to start a new topic which included two replies that pertain to this subject.
---------------------------------------------
Previously Jimmie in Ky posted:

As for a predator masters hunt east, I would still say for Ky and Tenn. hunters the LBL would be the best bet. Numbers of dogs and plenty of room to spread out. And the authorities there would very much appreciate all the help they can get.

Thanks Jimmie,
That brings on another item to think about. Our out of state hunters would be required to purchase a non-resident hunting permit to hunt in Tn. If I remember right LBL is located in both Ky and Tn and is one of the few WMA’s where both Tenn and Ky hunters can use their home state hunting permits. LBL sounds like a great place to hunt coyotes. Do you know if they have a source of info online? I would like to find out more about it as I’ve never hunted there.
How far are you away from LBL?

coyotehunter

--------------------------------------------------

Tater also posted:

coyotehunter_1,
Maybe we could talk to the twra into lifting the centerfire restriction in a wma for a predator masters hunt I know I'm grabbing at air but it never hurts to try.

Tater,
That sounds good on this end but without regulation changes, getting the TWRA to overlook WMA regulations, even for a weekend is doubtful. I think Bopeye has spoken to TWRA in the past about coyote hunting on Catoosa WMA, he may be able to add more info.

Bopeye and I have talked about hosting a fall or winter coyote hunt if we can find enough property to hold it on. With 10 hunters, even 2000 acres may not contain enough good calling locations or coyotes to support a successful hunt. We wanted to find a location that is easy access for everyone and fairly close to motels and restaurants. Catoosa WMA covers quite a large area, and is fairly close to Crossville. I don’t know Catoosa very well as I have not hunted there but it is one location we may look into a little more. I’ll have to give credit to Bopeye, who came up with the idea of hosting a hunt where we could all meet, I feel it is a great idea. But on the other hand, I am sure if someone has a good location and date that everyone interested can agree on for a hunt both of us would make plans to attend. As Jimmie in Ky suggested LBL is one place that may be available.
I know there are some who are interested in getting a hunt up. I may be a little ahead of myself but prime coyote season will be here before we know it.

http://www.lbl.org

That should bring up the home page for you.Click on th eorange cap for the hunting regulations and seasons. Thisu will also give you campground accomodations and the locations of area hotels should other eastern hunters care to join us.

LBL use permit was $25 last year.Weapons reg's are the same as for other tenn wma's, rimfire or shotguns with shot no larger than size four.

Ky weapons regs allow rimfire and shotgun wiht BB'S.

There is a late season for coyote's allowing the use of centerfire after feb 1 each year.This is the only time electronics are allowed i think.At least no cats ro fox can be taken by the use of electronics during the open season for them.

My trips up there last winter showed that mid season movement is centered around the shad die off that occurs during the cold weather.Most are located near the shorline areas that provide the most in the shad food source.Don't worry fella's you don't need a wounded shad call:D.Since the prevailing winds are from the southwest here the better places would be the north shores fo the bays.Wind blows the dead fish to them.

I'll check my wallet and see if I still have Charlie's e-mail addy. He would give me the skinny on the animal movements throughout the LBL. He's one of the officers you would run into checking permits and such.Don't be violating the rules either, he packs more weapons in that rig of his than Chet does:D Jimmie

Let's do it men. Jimmie is right, LBL would be a good hunt. I say we go for it, great idea. LBL has lots of room, camping, campers, I think some cabins.

I will do my best to be a part of the hunt, let me know what I can do to help.
Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jimmie... Thanks!
Land Between the Lakes...
For those interested and don't know where LBL is located check out their "where are we" map

----------------------------------------------
Coyote hunting regulations @ LBL website

Coyotes may be taken during daylight hours in any open hunting season with weapons specified for that season. Hand, mouth, or electronic calling devices are permitted for taking coyotes. During the month of February, centerfire rifles and handguns may be used for coyote hunting.

Nice to see after all the talks about Predatormasters east hunt that it's building up steam.Great job guys. As far as location both Catoosa (79,740 acres) and LBL (170,000 acres) should have plenty of coyotes' and lodging. According to last years hunting guide on Catoosa all hunting ends Jan. 31. I would say alot is riding on hunting regulations changes About allowing centerfire's. On a side note catoosa is located on the cumberland plautea(sp?) So it is hilly to rugged terrain. As for LBL I've never been there but it being more to the west I would think it would be flat to rolling hills. Just a few more things to throw in the mix.

Hehe! The good Lord had a few scraps left over when he was through building all the mountain ranges in the world and just dumped them between the Tennessee and Cumberland rivers so they couldn't get together anytime in the future.

Spooked a deer out of the road once up near Wranglers camp. When she landed the first time she was nearly eighty yards down the side of the hill.Third jump she was two hundred yards away and nearly to the bottom.And no, I'm not exagerating.

It is a good mix of varied terrains. It has plenty of crop fields as well as thickets and open grass fileds.A wide variety fo wildlife and probably the best population of bobcat in western Ky and Tenn.

Over a third of that 170,000 acres is in Tenn. It also has the most in the way of terrain types many of you would be familiar with.Moreflat land than the Ky portion and more open fields.It also has the one area with the heaviest population of coyote in the LBL.That is according to Charlie.He is in that area quite often checking camping permits at sundown and drives through frequently.

We could drop fifty hunters in there ,no problem bumping into each other .At that time of year camping accomodations are no problem.I just dug out Charlie's card, I'll drop him a mail and see if he can hook me up with the biologist up there. Might give us some more insight while we are in the thought process. Jimmie

Jimmie in Ky, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
A big /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and thanks to you! It sounds like we may have a location for a future Predator Masters hunt. Let me know whatever you can find out. It will take a little planning but I think we can do it.

If you or anyone else wants to communicate more on this subject without tying up valuable board space, my e/mail is:
coyotehunter_1@yahoo.com That's coyotehunter_(under line)1 ...no spaces

My computer is virus protected but attachments will not be opened or sent by myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif without the secret handshake! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Note:
Anyone who does not want to use e/mail then the board is our only communications link. For now, please reply in this thread, it will be easier to keep everyone together that way.

We will update as more details get worked out. Looking foward to meeting everyone!

Tater,
I know what you are talking about when you say hillbilly country, I was born and raised on the Cumberland Plateau. Growing up, I never knew what level ground was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Catoosa WMA is located on some of the roughest, steepest and remote land the gooberment could find. Bopeye and I hunt these same type areas :eek: but we do enjoy hunting the occasional flatland once in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I feel both Catoosa and LBL are good places to hunt but LBL may have easier access and more varied habatit.

I'm glad I now live down in the flatlands, this is one view from my front door. Overlooking the Tennesseee River
2002624972737776756031.jpg

coyotehunter_1,
If you want to see some rough terrain come down for a visit.Do some trout fishing while your here.Catoosa is not a cake walk by any means. I keep walking in circles on flat land(harder to get lost).

Jimmie,
Great job on info for LBL. Sounds like it might be better suited for what we need. Do you think the tennessee side would be big enough for a group of this size,if not what kind of license would be needed for hunting in KY. Centerfires In feb. sounds like fun.

This sounds great guys,now could I ask for a favor?email me at btr568@hotmail.com...To remind me about this hunt,myself an my cousin would come up from Bama to hunt with ya'll.Can we use a 22mag,or just the 22LR?A centerfire would work better,but we'll use whatever is allowed.

Thanks,
Nathan

Hi Chuck,
Save me a spot for the hunt. If those bama boys are going up there you gota have a Georgia Cracker for protection. ;-) I missed my hunt for PD's this year so I will plan on a Feb coyote trip with you. Now if I can only remember the secret handshake.
Your 'ole huntin' pardner,
Chris

ari-flag1s.gif
---------------------------------------------->
ten-flag1s.gif

Hope to be there, and rearin' to go by then.

Keep me posted.

Critr@PredatorMasters.com

Is this hunt open for anybody from the east,if so my friend and i would be interested.I will be heading down to tennessee in two weeks,maybe i will get a chance to look around,we will be in Gatlinburg for a week of vacation.

This is, as far as my knowledge, an open hunt.Coyotehunter_1,Bopeye,and Jimmie in ky would be the one's with the know. I would say the there will be a signup list,but I would say that will be on down the line. Guys if I can be of any help let me know.

Tater,
Thanks for the offer we may need help to pull this off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popgun,
My friend, you will always have a seat at my campfire! I was hoping you would be interested in another coyote hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Glad to see you on board!

Critr Gitr,
You know we be looking for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

carlw & others interested,
At the moment we are just a bunch of good ol' boys trying to get up an informal coyote hunt. As far as I am concerned it will be open to all Predator Masters members and their friends. There is not a signup yet, we don’t even know if we can make it happen, being in the early planning stages. Late last winter Bopeye, Jimmie in Ky, Doc, tater, myself and numerous others showed interest for a get together but time ran out before we could find a large enough piece of property that would support several hunters, easy access and being close to motels and restaurants was also a priority. Jimmie in Ky suggested Land between the Lakes, which is located both in the northwestern part of Tennessee and southwest Kentucky. LBL looks like it has all the amenities. This has been posted before but I feel it is important: On LBL, the month of February is designated for predator hunting with centerfire rifle, unless we find out different the rest of the season is limited to 22 rimfire (including 22 mag) or shotgun with #4 birdshot. Jimmie in Ky is in the process of talking to a officer at LBL about the best locations to hunt and I sent an e/mail to the LBL office requesting information on coyote hunting in general and the possibility of purchasing access/user permits via U.S. Mail. I though it would be good to get started planning early. As we get more information, it will be posted.

My sincere thanks goes out to everyone interested, those who are working and those who have expressed an offer to help to make this hunt happen.

Chet

Ok Guy's, General season for all predators runs from dec. 1 through jan. 31. Thats fox, bobcat, and coyote. Weapons during that season are rimfire(22 mag) or shotgun. Which ever state you hunt in you must follow that states rules for shot size.Electronics are allowed ONLY for coyote.

Feb. 1 through the 28 is centerfire for coyote only. No chance for a cat during this season.

I have'nt heard from Charlie yet. Not sure which days he's working. I did warn him there could be as many as fifty wild eyed crazed predator hunters decsend upon his peaceful solitude at some point.Chet may hear from the head office first.

Not sure about licsence cost yet. New hunting books won't be out for a while yet.I believe a five day small game liscence is available and all that would be required for a week ro weekend hunt.

The hot area I was told about is right along the border and next to Ky lake. With the population still expanding I'm sure that will change.It will either become larger ro another hot zone will open up.There are predators throughout the LBL but some areas seem to hold larger concentraions than others at any one time. The energy lake area has always been a hotspot for bobcat as long as I remember hearing anyone talk about them.Charlie spoke of seeing more cats on the Barkley lake side than anywhere else.

You should be able to get hunt zone and road maps by snail mail. These would be invaluable to everyone. They are available at the Golden Pond office at anytime.That is also where you would pick up permits and any other info you might need during your visit. Jimmie

Jimmie,
Thanks for the update! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok... non residents, below is the currently published information for TENNESSEE:

Tennessee hunting regulations and license fees are set by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA).

The TWRA web page http://www.state.tn.us/twra/ lists current information on license fees and regulations. These regulations are subject to change.

NOTE:
Non resident licenses are required for non residents who want to hunt in Tennessee. Below are some of the current prices as listed.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/hunt001a1.html license fees

Non resident fees:
7-Day Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 072)__________$30.50

Hunt-Small Game/Waterfowl (Type 071)__________ $56

These non resident licenses are good statewide in addition while hunting on LBL a $20.00 permit will be required for small game (coyote).

Other information that will hopefully help explain more:

Legal Hunting Equipment and Methods
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/hunt001a3.html

Coyotehunter1, thanks for the heads up on your e-mail. I don't visit here as often as I would like to anymore. T-ball season only has another month and then this coach is a free man.

Guys, I'm all for this hunt at the LBL. I'll be there for sure, Lord willing of course.
Chet and Jimmie, you guys have really been doing your homework.

Hope to hunt with and get to meet everyone of you.

I brought the Tennessee Hunt back to the top, so people can see some of the ideas we have had trying to put this together.

Can't wait for the hunt. YEEEEHAW!

Back