Pig rifle

Any rifle that you would go deer hunting with will kill a hog. I have killed them with a 30/30, 270, 243,7mm mag, 223 and even a 17hmr. My buddy wants them all dead so I shot them with whatever I have on hand. You have to ear hole them with a 17hmr which makes the task a little more difficult. Put some lead in the boiler room and your gonna take home some sausage.

Reggie

got my hands on a Ruger American Friday...good feeling gun from around 335.00 dollars they got it in the compact model with the 18" barrel and weighs in at 6 lbs. I think I'll get one in .308 and maybe put one of those Hawke 4x12x44 lighted reticle scope for 149.00 on it. Apply a little camo paint and there you go. All the reviews have this gun shooting good right out of the box...just my 2 cent worth.....like the 308 cal.

Verminator9- I've killed a few pigs with a variety of rifles. .223, .243, .270, its more of a preference thing. Shot one last week with my M&P 15 Sport(Hornady 55 gr. BTHP) and it ran 15 yards and died. Shot one a few months ago with my .270 and it ran about 40 yards and died. Shot placement is key. Get what you want and have fun! I don't own a lever-gun, but i would bet 6mm06 loves his .444 and it does the job on hogs.

dwa- We are all here to learn, share, and talk hunting. If you want to pick a fight, i would suggest going to the nearest bar and insulting a group of biker club members.

I edited my response to you b/c it would no doubt offend u. So I'll say this reread my post and look how many times I said I wasn't talking about him. I don't care if he doesn't believe me that's his right and his problem. Go look and you will see I listed about 7 or 8 calibers one happened to be one he mentioned as his favorite. And he got threw a hissy fit. The end.

As for your attempt to tell me what I should and shouldn't do it was the clunkiest epic fail I've ever read.

Last edited:

No, it's not my problem. I don't have a problem. I'm fine with what I said.

No again. I didn't throw a hissy fit. You did, rather quickly. It's there to read for anyone who cares to. And when you were challenged for your name-calling and insults, you threw out more insults and then begged to let it go. In other words, hit and run.

The problem is, it appears that you don't know how to talk to people. You see, I and everyone else are fine with your thoughts about either the 45-70 or the 444. That's not the issue at all. What is the issue, is your apparent lack of respect, ie sensitivity to others, and your boldness with words, ie your second posted response and the way you handled it. That's what people don't like. You seem to be unable to grasp that concept. It has nothing to do with your views about proper pig rifles. It has everything to do with your attitude.

Since I'm no expert pig hunter and still trying to learn, I thought I would give DWA the benefit of the doubt and check some ballistics on various cartridges to see if he is on to something that I'm not aware of. Here's what I found from the Hornady on-line ballistic chart, which is probably their factory loaded ammo.

300 win (mag), 180 gr. Interlock BTSP, muzzle velocity 2960, muzzle energy 3502 foot pounds.

444 Marlin, 265 gr. Interlock FP, muzzle velocity 2400, muzzle energy 3389

45-70, 325 gr. FTX, muzzle velocity 2000, muzzle energy 2886. In all fairness to the 45-70, a heavier bullet would provide more energy, but this is the heaviest one Hornady lists.

243, 100 gr. Interlock BTSP, muzzle velocity 2960, muzzle energy 1945

Now I am scratching my head with a big question mark on it. I must have missed something somewhere. Maybe you guys can enlighten me. How is a 300 win OK and recommended, with all that energy, but the 444 and 45-70 isn't with less energy, but a 243 is OK and recommended with even less energy?

I sure do like that old 444. I've had it since 1976. It's a real shooter and accurate, and just a pleasure to use. But, maybe I should reconsider and reach for my Remington 700, 300 Win Mag, or perhaps reach for one of my 243s.

I'm confused.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I'm confused.

It's because you're bringing facts into this argument. It's much easier to comprehend when you stick to ignorant opinion and internet myths.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: dwaWhere in the world did u get that I was talking about you or to you for that matter. I said You see all the gun mags saying pig guns All are 450 bushmaster 45-70 and Big bore hand guns just to make a buck. I don't understand why they call them pig guns. I killed more pigs last year with a 25-06 than most will ever kill in a lifetime. You like what you like dude. I don't give 2 loads of crap what u shoot. The op asks for a pig gun. I was just explaining that any deer rifle you shoot a pig with becomes a pig gun. The caliber doesn't make one. So let off the throttle a bit turbo.

You really have nothing to do do you? If u read I said you don't need big bore dispite what the gun mags tell you. That's it. Listen imagine you have tons of idle time so you can post ballistic tables and what not. I'll just go ahead and retract my statements. 444 is the rifle cartridge in the world! It's the best for hunting pigs especially!

Peace be with you, DWA.

On to other topics, something maybe to keep this post more interesting, not that this is anything special, just something to share.

Here is an old hog hunt with the .444 from several years ago. It was filmed with antiquated equipment, ie the old heavy-as-lead and large VCR camcorder.
Then it was transferred to digital, then uploaded to Photobucket. So, a lot of quality was lost in the process. Anyway, this was a good hunt where my son,
age 14 at the time, took a respectable hog in Tennessee. The load was a hand-loaded Hornady 265 gr. flat point. It was a cold 8 degree morning when we left the cabin.
It was an enjoyable hunt, one of good memories, especially being able to share them with my son.

Just click the photo to see the video.

Dave,i always liked the .444,never had one,,but i have a .44 lever marlin that i love,,,like someone said,,gotta love the levers!!,,,oh and DWA #1 look at some of daves old posts,,compare them to yours and lemme know what you figure out, I.E.who is really being confrontational.#2 in your last post you said "do do".....BIG SMILES!

X

#1 I'm not arguing with the guy about what does what. I'm saying despite what gun mags say you don't need a large bore rifle to kill one. That's it. The guns mags are in bed with gun and ammo manufacturers to drain every bit of money you have. IF you have a deer rifle you have a pig gun. What is so complicated about that?

#2 I'm sorry I didn't put a comma I between them. After your post you should rethink commenting on people's punctuation and grammar.

#3 nice avatar pic! Did you boyfriend take it? BIG SMILES!

Like anything else it is situational. Any center fire rifle/pistol will work. If shooting from a stand or "the back of a truck", range may be the priority and a bolt gun with a variable scope will be ideal. If running with dogs or pushing through thickets the large bore lever/semi-autos rifles and handguns with open sights/ red dot or low fixed scope are great. Growing up in the mountains of NC, we had a small population of "Russian wild boar" that had been brought in in the early 1900's. They were very aggressive and would stand their ground or make charges. You wanted a heavily constructed bullet that would penetrate the skull or the shoulder. The wild domestic pigs that most people encounter now seem to be less aggressive and thus give retreating shots, that most center fires can take advantage of. Almost any rifle would work, but there are some better suited than others for particular situations. My 280 will put them down, but the 44 carbine is more fun to carry.

Personally, I shoot 'em with whatever I'm carrying, it all seems to work if you put the hole in the right spot. Hogs aren't invincible, they can however be tough to put down at times.

Insufficient data in the original question, to offer an informed opinion on any particular caliber... Your selection of weapon should be based on the type of hunting you plan to be doing.

-- Are you going to be hunting open fields?
-- Are you going to be hunting heavy cover?
-- Are you going to be sitting in a tree stand?
-- Are you going to be on the ground stalking them?
-- Are you going to be pursuing them with hounds?

-- Open fields, you need something that works well up to maximum distance you plan to shoot.

-- Heavy cover, you need a gun that's short and light, easy to maneuver through brush with. Something with considerable knock down power, as it's difficult to run fast enough to get away through heavy brush. Single shots are not advised.

-- If you're sitting up a tree, you can shoot them with anything, pigs don't climb real good; wounded pigs don't climb any better. If you're on the ground where they can catch you, that's a different story altogether.

-- If you're going to be on the ground stalking them, you will have close encounters. Knock down power is advisable. Puttin the hole in the right spot is all fine and good, but it doesn't always happen that way when you are trying to shoot a pissed off charging animal, in heavy cover. You want something that's going to make him sick, even if you hit him in the toe nail. And, thus a BIG HOLE with lots of knock down power is advisable.

-- Hunting with dogs... Big bore pistol. It's up close and personal there, pretty much all the time. Rifles and shotguns just don't cut it in that scenario. Hard to maneuver in heavy cover and move quick enough to keep up. Harder yet to get in to place a shot.

DWA - you're out of line, have been since your second post to this thread. Even after editing them.

I am using a .223 tikka with 1.5-5vx3. I shoot 62 grain barnes tsx.It works inside 200 yards. Hogs being dangerous is a little hyped up on the internet. I have shot a couple and been there when many other people have shot them. I've seen 20+ hogs hit with everything from .223 up to .308. Only one got a away cuz it was hit too far back. Even a sow, with piglets, wounded while we were sitting 20 feet from it ran off after being shot. We hunt fairly open terrain. They always have the option to run away and when hit they always turn around and run away from the shooter. If it was heavy brush giving them no place to go I would be more concerned they would charge.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be prepared though. When I use the .223 I usually have my 10mm glock on my hip with 200 grain hardcast. Someone I am with usually has a bigger rifle and 41 mag revolver.

Do not over scope! Pigs are very easy to stalk so you can get really close to them. We've stalked with 6 guys from 500 yards in to 50 and they just keep on eating. A weaver classic 1-3x20 or 2-7x32 would be perfect depending on terrain and range of your caliber.

Originally Posted By: vmaster59I used my 444 to go jack rabbit hunting works great.

Clint

Always one in every crowd
smile.gif

Back