Photon XT 4.6x Night Vision Scope Review

DoubleUp, yes, I know you are waiting for me to test drive one first. LOL. Actually, I know you want one too. At the moment, with no coyote action for months, I don't need either.

HELP new sightmark 4.6 mounted on burris Perp mount and laser bored it and scope adjustment bottoms out about six inches @30 YRDS (6") TO HIGH. is thier a after market picatinny rail mount that is adjustable or what would be best way to bring it down

Originally Posted By: McNuttHELP new sightmark 4.6 mounted on burris Perp mount and laser bored it and scope adjustment bottoms out about six inches @30 YRDS (6") TO HIGH. is thier a after market picatinny rail mount that is adjustable or what would be best way to bring it down

That definately does not sound right to me. What rifle is the Photon on? On my AR with the center of the objective at ~2.75" above the center of the bore (should be similar with the PEPR), my Photon adjustments are X=-2 and Y=-3. If you have the Photon adjustment maxed out all the way down, that is like 30" @ 100 yds of downward adjustment already. Are you saving the setting after moving the adjustment down? If you need to come down another 6" at 30yds, thats like another 24" at 100yd since the Photon adjustmet is 1" at 100 yd per click. It took me 3 rounds to Zero my Photon at 100yd after boresighting it the old fashioned way looking through the bore at a target 25 yd away.

Wade I have a photon 4.6 ordered as I am new to nv I am very cautious about the distance I will be able to actually see and shoot the critters in question. Your post about removing the cover from the pinhole in front of the objective lens cleared up the scope. would a unv 20 external ir be sufficient to light em up over 200 yards?

There is a fellow on 6.8forum who is having a similar problem with a PERP mount. IIRC, he is 6" low and maxed out.

I suggest moving the Photon in the mount and trying it out, mounting another optic in the mount and/or mounting the photon or another optic and shooting.

You are trying to answer the Q, "What is the source of the problem, the rifle rail, the PERP or the Photon?"

JPK

You might try turning the PEPR mount around in the opposite direction to see if the elevation changes. That should eliminate or confirm if the mount is the problem.

Double Up

Thank you I seriously cant wait to get my scope so I can post my opinions as well you guys are great source of information makes me feel better about buying mine...
thumbup.gif

The white-out problem is not an issue with the Photon as I touched on this subject before. It is the IR reflecting off of the smoke plume that is the cause. If you could create perfect wind conditions you would probably get the same results regardless of whether or not you are using Gen 1, Gen 2, digital, or Gen 3. Side wind eliminates the plume more rapidly than no wind or wind in your face or away from you. A 15mph side wind will eliminate it much more rapidly than a 5mph side wind. I also think it is worse using the LLTL-001 or the T-20 versus the IRK2 ELR because the prior units don't collimate the IR beam as well and there is more IR spray to reflect off of the smoke plume. Working on a fix to eliminate the excess IR spray for the T-20 but more R&D is necessary. Look at this clip of a double I shot (less than 15 minutes apart) a few years ago. This was a full moon night. First one was 65 or so yards with no IR assistance. Second one was 350 yards with a laser IR device. This is what white-out looks like through Gen 3 using an IR device that is reflecting off of the smoke plume.

You can eliminate most of it by getting a muzzle brake that directs the smoke and gasses to the sides. This however will create more muzzle flash which can shut down a Gen 3 device or similar device equipped with high light shutoff features. The Photon does not have this so you should be good to go on that with the muzzle brake. Kevin

Here is a test I did Sunday night with 4 videos showing the whiteout when using a T-20 weapon mounted. First one is with IR lighting on my shop for baseline comparison. This is on a Savage with a 22" barrel in 204 Ruger cal. Distance to the decoy is 90 yds.

204 Ruger, with 22" barrel using weapon mounted T-20 at 50% power.

AR-15, 16" barrel with Levang compensator, T-20 weapon mounted at 50% power.

AR-15, 16" barrel using an A2 flash hider with the T-20 weapon mounted at 50% power.

You can judge for yourself whether either the Levang or A2 improved the whiteout. Seems to me like the A2 might have been slightly better than the Levang and the Levang slightly better than the standard barrel on the Ruger 204. Obviously the IR's mounted on my building solve the problem at my bait site., but the coyote has to be in the light zone. An IR light mounted on a tripod to the upwind side might largely eliminate the problem on a calling stand.

Thanks HTRN and DoubleUp, your vids are very illustative and make the issue clear.

Seems to me DoubleUp that the A2 dissipated the smoke much better, but I wonder if there might not have been some breeze? Left to right maybe?

I rezero'd my Photon on my new 6.8SPC II yesterday, and it was a bright and beautiful day. Without the lens cap center piece in place the Photon screen was flashing like a strobe. With the center piece in place the Photon settled down. I still needed to turn brightness down to minimum to get some contrast on the targets. So far for daylight zeroing it seems the black stick on circles provide the best, easiest to see targets for bright conditions.

JPK

JPK, there was a short amount of time in between the change overs, so the wind could have breezed a little. I live in the midst of about 500 acres of open field, so breeze is often a factor or in this case benefit. I didn't notice that conditions had changed any during the tests, but it is possible certainly. Also the AR's were firing Benchmark, and the 204 was firing 8208, so even that might make a difference. I would think the shorter AR barrels would be worse as far as powder burn, but I could be wrong on that.

Yes, for daytime, a black target works best to show up, and you will need the insert in place. I usually try to shoot just before dark when possible. You might try putting a towel or some other cloth over the back part of the scope and your head to block out the extra light in really bright sunlight conditions. I'd love to see the results with a suppressor, but 6mmo06 won't buy one.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp

... You might try putting a towel or some other cloth over the back part of the scope and your head to block out the extra light in really bright sunlight conditions. I'd love to see the results with a suppressor, but 6mmo06 won't buy one.
smile.gif

I thought about the towel, but didn't have one handy and turned my hat enough to block the sun, probably looked like I belonged in the 'hood... Not too comfortable with muffs, so I'll try a towel next time.

You might not have to wait too long on the suppressor, three are on my short list. One for my son's and my 5.56 AR, one for our 6.8 and one for a Rugger 10-22.

I will probably do the paperwork in May.

JPK

Originally Posted By: DoubleUp I'd love to see the results with a suppressor, but 6mmo06 won't buy one.
smile.gif

Trying to pick a fight, hey!

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: DoubleUp I'd love to see the results with a suppressor, but 6mmo06 won't buy one.
smile.gif

Trying to pick a fight, hey!

I can settle this for you guys... just send me the scope and I will let you know. No need to fight about it!
thumbup.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif

I really would love to, but the coyotes here demand my attention almost daily.
thumbup.gif

It's a tough job but somebody has to do it. There's lots of does and fawns depending on me right now.

Hey DoubleUp, I never thought of it that way, of those poor little fawns
running around without protection. Saddest thing I ever heard.
Hang on a minute while I wipe the tears off my keyboard.

Back