Para Ordnance guru's

pyscodog

I bought a Para Ordnance P16.40 1911. So far, love the pistol. It was unfired but no box. Double stack in 40 caliber. Its a bit heavy but shoots really good. Now I have told you about all I know, tell me what you know!! (P.S. it is the steel frame version, not the alloy, if it matters.)

I had one for several years and loved it...I had mine rechambered to the 10mm and then obtained a replacement barrel in the .40 s&w....It was originally produced in the 10mm and then re issued in the .40 after the FBI switched to the lower power .40....

It's one of the few out in the world that has magazines that will hold the 10mm factory round with no modification...

Are those rear sights factory? I'd like to put adjustable on mine. With the double stack mags, you have 16+1 rounds of 40 caliber. Makes for a lot of fire power in a pistol in a 1911 platform!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI had one for several years and loved it...I had mine rechambered to the 10mm and then obtained a replacement barrel in the .40 s&w....It was originally produced in the 10mm and then re issued in the .40 after the FBI switched to the lower power .40....

It's one of the few out in the world that has magazines that will hold the 10mm factory round with no modification...

Will be looking to do the same thing myself.

I had a guy offer me one yesterday, was kinda leary of it because I have no real experience with them and heard so so reviews on them.

I've owned a couple and they are good 1911 designed pistols. My only complaints after having been a true 1911 design fan since the late 1960's is the fat grip frame on the double stack magazine models. For me, it just doesn't feel like a 1911, and they are heavy when fully loaded. Also for me, the plastic insert front sight which you find on a lot of Para models would have to go and be replaced with matching front and rear night sights, which is not a big thing to do.

I'd rather have a newer polymer pistol like the H&K USP if I feel that I need enough fire power for 4 fire fights at one time. Just my opinion.

All steel construction and a full mag does make for a heavy pistol. The grip.....a little on the thick side but I really don't mind it....yet. Its my second 1911 style pistol to own but I really like the platform and the Para seems like a good solid pistol so far. A few more range trips and some more ammo down the tube will give me a better idea if it what I want to keep around. It may turn into a house gun and find something like a commander model for carry.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAll steel construction and a full mag does make for a heavy pistol. The grip.....a little on the thick side but I really don't mind it....yet. Its my second 1911 style pistol to own but I really like the platform and the Para seems like a good solid pistol so far. A few more range trips and some more ammo down the tube will give me a better idea if it what I want to keep around. It may turn into a house gun and find something like a commander model for carry.

A 1911 Commander size model or smaller is much lighter to carry and generally more concealable under all circumstances. In a factory 1911, the link below is one of my favorites 1911 models in CC size. And it's extremely pleasant to shoot and to carry.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra-cdp-ii-ca

On the flip side, for open carry while hunting, etc., I don't mind a full size 1911 at all for all day carrying in a quality holster. For either type of carry, nothing beats a quality leather holster. Again, just my opinion.

When I worked at the gun shop, we stocked a lot of the Kimbers. WOW!! They are nice. Someday, I'll have one. I think I should have got one then. Might have been a better deal than what I would get now. Of all the pistols that came through the doors, we never got a used Kimber as a trade in. None went back for repairs either.

When I was big into the 10mms, I 'just had to have' a Kimber and picked up their 10mm
when they came out....To be candid, for what I paid and the way it performed didn't match up...Even after 100 break in rounds and a return trip to the factory, feeding/ejection was not 100% reliable and I wound up selling it....My Para Ordnance was better, even if slightly heavier...

I recently acquired a new Rock Island 10mm and in comparison for Fit & Finish, plus being equipped with an ambi safety, it was less $$ and I feel will shoot every bit as good, if not better than the Kimber...

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleWhen I was big into the 10mms, I 'just had to have' a Kimber and picked up their 10mm
when they came out....To be candid, for what I paid and the way it performed didn't match up...Even after 100 break in rounds and a return trip to the factory, feeding/ejection was not 100% reliable and I wound up selling it....My Para Ordnance was better, even if slightly heavier...

I recently acquired a new Rock Island 10mm and in comparison for Fit & Finish, plus being equipped with an ambi safety, it was less $$ and I feel will shoot every bit as good, if not better than the Kimber...

Definitely not an unexpected response.

I currently own three Kimber 1911's that all I have done with them is to load and shoot them. A lot of times

OTOH, I foolishly bought a RI 45 ACP maybe a year ago that took me almost three months to shoot a box of 45 ACP through it when counting the two trip for "warranty service". After the one box it got traded.

Go figure.

Springfield Armory is a much better choice if you want to save a few dollars. Just my opinion.

The Kimber name seems to have 2 sides... Love or Hate. Much more hearsay on the hate side, from what I gather. The guys that have had trouble are not afraid let it been known, however.

This applies to both rifles and handguns..

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe Kimber name seems to have 2 sides... Love or Hate. Much more hearsay on the hate side, from what I gather. The guys that have had trouble are not afraid let it been known, however.

This applies to both rifles and handguns..

Very true words.

Maybe two years ago I was at a range when a vocally loud shooter un-boxed his new Kimber and had it fail to eject/stove pipe a round on the first magazine. He suddenly became a very vocal Kimber critic complaining (and bragging) about how much money he paid for a piece of junk. Another shooter along side of him tried the gun and fired a full mag without a problem.

Back with the owner doing the shooting it failed again. At that point the other shooter explained to the new Kimber owner about limp wristing a 1911. Suddenly the Kimber owner was a happy man.

I'm not saying that applies here, but in at least one situation I've seen the problem was in the cockpit. I did send an early full sized Kimber back because the slide release would catch occasionally with shells still in the magazine. A two week trip to Kimber and it never happened again up through the time that I traded it after a lot of use.

I've had 1 Para and it was very nice to look at and it functioned perfect, Just not so accurate.
I've also had about 7 or 8 Kimbers and they all shot and functioned very well, the gold match was a awesome shooter and regret ever selling it ;(

I ended up with a Les Baer Custom that has been customized buy one of the best 1911 smiths ever (Dave Barryhill) and it will be buried with me...

Best I can tell, my Para shoots very well. No better shot than I am with a pistol, shoots good to me. (as long as the target isn't to far away)Hopefully its only purpose will be to get me out of a bad situation and recreational shooting. And...I avoid bad situations as much as possible. To dam old for that crap.

I bought a frame, then a Les Baer Slide and barrel, Wilson trigger, and Briley Barrel bushings, adjustable sights.

Pistol is unreal accurate at 50 yards, smithed by a 1911 mechanic.

I gave the pistol to my brother, he rarely ever shoots it because he is scared of wearing it out.

I bought two Kimbers. One was a Stainless Match 45 and the other was Gold Match. I took them to the 1911 mechanic and had him fit the barrels properly, install briley bushings, put match triggers in them at 3 lbs, they are fantastic shooters. I also had a Barstow barrel in addition put on the Gold Target. I had to taper crimp the ammo for the Barstow match barrel .001 less than the Kimber bbl. I had quite a few FTF at IDPA matches till someone mentored me on the problem.

Later on I picked another double stack 45, a FNX model with the Decocker. This FMX has to be the most accurate out of the box pistol that I have ever shot, you can wear out a 20 oz pepsi bottle at 50 yards! Some do not like the Single action/double action on the FNX series; this pistol feeds wad cutters as well as round nose.

When I worked at the shop, a guy brought in a FN Tactical. It was the double stack in the box with all the stuff that went with it. He sold it to the store for $400. I told the manager I wanted it. He said he would sell it to me for $500, still a really good deal. The owner came in and marked it up to $600 and would not cut me a break. I told him, a hundred bucks in 15 minutes was pretty good money but he wouldn't budge. Deal or not, at $600, I just wouldn't do it.

I bought a Para P14-45 on my 21st birthday and shot a bunch (thousands) of rounds through it while in college and just after. I slowed way down after getting married, having kids, and carrying smaller concealable pistols. But I still break out the ol' Para a couple times a year, oil it up, and burn some powder through it. I kinda miss it, but do like the little XDs for packing around all day. Just seeing these 1911s gives me a hankering for another one though. Maybe a nice trim single stack with a body-hugging OWB holster for those longs days chasing coyotes in the desert...

I had a Para P-14 Limited in 45 with the adjustable rear sights. Thing was a great shooter but a friend saw it and offered me a decent profit and I let it go.......mistake. I'm now more into the 10MM's with Glock models 20 and 40. Both are great guns and never a hiccup from either. I bought an Armscor 1911 in 10MM and it failed to shuck the hulls. Sent it back and two weeks later got a brand new one in the mail. The same friend bought it before I even fired it. Fit and finish was much better than expected and had an outstanding trigger.

Back