Outfitting Your "Perfect" Hunting Ride

hm1996

Staff member
What alterations have you made to your hunting vehicle for your particular hunting scenarios? That might include everything from electric bikes to tracked ATV's to pickups from concept to present configuration.

We've seen many such rigs over the years on PM, but are scattered out; having them all in one thread and seeing what customizing works for others might be just the idea you need to personalize your rig. Or maybe you'll find that your "perfect" rig isn't quite perfect after all and find just what you need to complete the deal in this thread.

A brief description of your hunting style might be helpful, illustrating the use for the chosen improvements made.

I purchased a 4x4 Chevy to navigate nearly flat sand and mud terrain when I began hunting several large ranches 21 years ago. Quarry would be primarily whitetail deer, hogs, & some relatively large exotics. Since the exotics are free ranging, spot and stalk tactics are often employed in conjunction with more conventional hunting styles but due to the size of some of the exotics, require some extraordinary additions.

First problem encountered was the console limited use of common gun racks and I ruled out sun visor mount since they only provide for a single gun. Doesn't look like much but does carry up to three firearms, as well as ear muffs, calls, flashlight & cell phone securely and is easily removed as it is secured w/2 bungee cords.
1706635888888.jpeg
1706636046533.jpeg

Next was the 9.5 cti receiver hitch mounted Warn winch which can be moved to rear hitch if needed. So far rear hitch remains unused but comforting to
know it is there if needed.
1706633078667.jpeg

Next was 2 tool boxes & provision for loading/hauling large game in the field, full details are described in post # 15 HERE.
1706635362404.jpeg

Added the hitch mounted chair, specifically for night hunting coyotes, but the added height also proved to be advantageous for spotting both coyotes and exotics. It does require removal to utilize the ramp above.........So added the boom to the chair, using the same winch as the ramp to lift and move larger game on the ranch.
1706634263067.jpeg
1706635085568.jpeg
1706634974236.jpeg

Which worked well until an extra large cow proved to be too much weight for the angled schedule 80 boom. Changed the angle & it worked for years.

Much of this gear has served double duty on the little TJ for the last dozen years or so, next.

Attachments

• 1706635052107.jpeg
    1706635052107.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 25
The truck served me well, but was a bit heavy for some of the muddy conditions and, of course not as maneuverable in tight quarters as the short coupled jeep.

First things first. Not much room in the TJ and no dash board, so first challenge was the visor shelf for face masks, gloves, calls, radios, etc. Then a gun rack for two rifles, ear muffs & flashlight plus saddle scabbard over driver's left shoulder for the youth 20 ga. snake charmer. (red arrow)
1706640692408.jpeg

Added front and rear receivers to accommodate the winch and then the rack to handle miscellaneous baggage.
1706639497021.jpeg
1706639398824.jpeg

moved the chair from the truck and added an ATV winch to back bumper for the game lift.
1706639667517.jpeg
1706639769450.jpeg
1706639845544.jpeg

Again, a heavier than normal Nilgai cow proved to be too heavy for the bumper mounted hitch on the jeep, breaking a bumper bolt. Re-locating the boom socket adjacent to to the bumper resolved that issue and old angled socket still works great for hogs.
1706640230596.jpeg
1706640298991.jpeg

Now, lets see your ride(s) and the alterations you've made to fit your hunting styles.

Attachments

• 1706640139542.jpeg
    1706640139542.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 1706639216654.jpeg
    1706639216654.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 23
Handiest thing I've built is a shelving system for the back seat of my extending cab pickups.

Each layer is separate, so you can add or subtract as needed.

View attachment 5600
Great Idea, alf! (y) I store all of my necessary hunting gear in my extended cab in "saddle bags" that hang on front headrests for easy movement from truck to jeep, but your solution is a lot neater than the bags.

Bought this van in 2009 and fitted it out for hunting. First was adding Posi-traction and heavy lug M&S tires, then fitting it out with bunks, table and cabinets so I could stay wherever I was hunting without having to find a campground or motel. Then I added a Fantastic Fan to cool it in the summer and a Buddy heater to warm it in the winter. I needed power for extended stays and didn't want to drain the engine battery so I installed a solar panel with cabin batteries plus an automatic battery disconnect to charge the cabin batteries with the engine alternator when in cloud cover(started this in the PNW). After a few extended winter trips found out the Buddy heater put put a lot of moisture and all my bedding would get damp. I found a furnace from England that was designed for VW Vanagons, low power usage and very low propane consumption, it even has a thermostat, it works great. Now I can park anywhere and stay as long as I want only having to get gas and refill the propane tank.

rWKiB3.jpg

IuNNjz.jpg

When I added the furnace I put the gear box on to house the propane tank, chains recovery gear and skinning equipment.
Y5AkWV.jpg

uY94eG.jpg

It goes pretty near everywhere I need to go and has paid for itself in fuel savings by camping where I'm hunting, traveling across the country and not having to get a room or eat in a restaurant.

Last edited:
Erich, your bike and new VW project would be a great addition here when ya got a moment.....hint, hint. :)

Back in my youth in WI there was a fellow that hunted fox from a BMW(1960's) in the winter he wore WW-II sheepskin bomber gear and put a side car on it. Youd see him going down the highway with the rifle case over his back and usually a fox hanging out of the saddle bag, he was my hero. I never met him but I sure envied him.

Fast forward 60 years, I finally got to the place where I could pull off hunting on a MC. I found a used Suzuki Van Van 200 with 90 miles on it for a really small price. It would become a great hunting rig with a little work. first season I installed a rack in the back, windscreen, GPS, gun scabbard, spare fuel can and GPS.
3NsG6g.jpg

GPS
PUJtmC.jpg

It worked pretty good (experimenting with an under $100 caller, it worked just fine)
JZ51KG.jpg

Gqv5KF.jpg

Some shortcomings started to rear its head, fixing a flat(mesquite thorns will puncture a tire) and working on a chain is tough when you have to lay it down. So I made a number of changes. Installed a center stand and brush guards. added paniers for my gear and now bungee a rifle or bow across the paniers. I pulled the rear pegs and added a MC tool bag on either side that hold a liter bottle of gas. It made it easier to load tent and sleeping bag for fishing trips.
IeGX5x.jpg

It just got better.

Continued

Last edited:
I just turned 77 and my wife is no longer able to jump in the truck and bail me out if things go wrong. So I started looking for something that will go anywhere and not fall over on me.

I bought this and am in the process of rebuilding it. if it could be done wrong the last owner did it. Like all my projects I do all the work and wait until there is enough in the fund to buy parts so it can be slow going.
29vp0V.jpg

It looks pretty good, there are no brakes up front, just the drums(shot) no backing plates, or brake lines, needed new peddles, mater cylinder, rear brakes all new wiring, you get the picture. the engine runs and the trans shifts so maybe it wont need too much. I've got new disc brakes in back and all new brakes up front, parking brake new brake peddles, new master cylinder and all new brake lines in. I only have a small space to work on it so get things done on one end and turn it around to work on the other. Working on the front.
wzhXFw.jpg

I hope to have it running this spring, The neighbor gave me permission to tear up his property behind the house testing it. I do have it licensed for on and off pavement so it is street legal, but will have to get it inspected to drive it on the highway

Last edited:
The next ride goes way bac, almost 50 yrs and is a little different hunting ride but has covered a lot of territory in those years. I bought this new in 1976 straight from the factory in Saint Peter MN(home of Alumacraft) I hunted, fished and trapped out of it all over MN,WI and some of ND. When I got to WA and started hunting coastal WA it needed some up grade to cope with the big water.

It started as an open 1436 Jon boat. Around 2000 I decked it over leaving just a 18"x48" cockpit with a large bilge pump in it. the front cargo hold will accommodate 5dz decoys and I added floatation under the rear deck plus the original seat are still there with their foam filling. It is virtually unsinkable and if I take a wave over the side it will only fill the cockpit and it empties quickly. As is it took first place in the 2004 OR waterfowl festival motorized duck boat division.
5nc9qE.jpg

5wxBDL.jpg

After I moved to the SW I started to shoot carp and fish more and used my canoe and layout boat to hunt ducks so it was time for a make over again. I added sponsons on the back and built a surface drive motor from a kit.
roGLgZ.jpg

KRTNtQ.jpg

Since this pic I've added a shooting platform on the front. I travel a lot with this hence the two spares. With the van and this rig I can go just about everywhere and most places you can camp at the boat landing.

Floating rivers or getting to the back of impoundments away from roads can put you on to some virgin ears. Right now one of my dream trips is putting in on Lake Mohave and hunting preds up the east shore camping along the way and hunting back down the west shore. I few fish fries along the way would be fun.

Last edited:
Flying makes me very nervous. I truly like the statement "If God wanted us to fly he would have given us wings". I much prefer to take the train, the only bad thing is the don't let you shoot coyotes out of the windows. You sure see a lot of game traveling by train.

I should have been out hunting today but the blizzard gave me second thoughts. Decided I would mount a rack above the spare because it made too much noise in the hitch and coyotes got a little too muddy when they were lower to the ground. Think this will even get me to start skinning them out in the prairie instead of in my garage.
IMG_7154.jpeg
IMG_7153.jpeg

Back