Opinion on fast twist 22-250 bergara

Originally Posted By: CZ527Originally Posted By: deathwind IINot too fast for 55 grainers. But, I personally have no use for the 22" barrel; too much velocity loss.
Nice to see a manufacturer making a '250 with a faster than 14-twist. No cigar, though.

It’s really not too short by any means.. but hey, this is the internet so believe whatever you’ve read.

+1 to all of this. Its truly amazing what you can "learn" on the internet.
laugh.gif

I have an 8" twist Tikka in 22-250 that I picked up maybe a year ago based on internet reports of it being the cat's meow, and it does shoot 62 grain BTHP bullets extremely well. However, I have used it on 2 coyotes and so far I don't see where it offers anything over what can be done with a 52-55 grain bullet in a 14" twist 22-250 barrel versus coyotes.

Don't under-rate the 14" 22-250 with a 22" barrel. It will be very handy for hunting purposes and it will hold its own against any other 22 caliber factory cartridge on the market. Including the 220 Swift with comparable bullet weights. In addition, with all other things being equal, it will outlast an 8" twist barrel. Plus, when you go to heavier bullets than 55 grains in the 8" twist, you lose a lot more velocity than a 2" reduction in barrel length will cause. You don't have to go very far up in weight before velocity wise you have a 2-250 that shoots like a much smaller 222 Remington does with light bullets.

LOL..!! I just noticed that this thread is over a year old and that I had posted when it was new in early 2018.

Last edited:
Back