Only for people who USE the 223 for deer

allgrainbeer

I repeat, this is ONLY for individuals that use the 223 for deer -- ON A REGULAR BASIS.

I Need particular informaton about reloading - types of bullets being used, and what type of powder and amount being used.

This is not to be a debate about "if" it is ethical or not.

Thanks for understanding.
(and yes, I did read the entire long thread of ethics about the 223. I need a beer after that)

allgrainbeer

While I do not use the .223 Remington on a regular basis for Whitetail Deer, I have used it enough to get a good idea of what bullets work and what bullets do not work.

I have used the various factory loads with 55gr. PSP bullets and under the RIGHT circumstances, these loads do the job. However there are much better choices available. The first bullet I tried was the 70gr. Speer Semi Spitzer, I loaded this bullet to a muzzle velocity of 2850 FPS loaded with 25.5grs. of W-748 (all the standard disclaimers apply, this is for reference only and always work up from a lesser charge weight). While this bullet was fairly accurate, and performed well enough I wanted something better.

The next bullet I tried was the Winchester 64gr. Power Point. Winchester advertises this bullet as being designed for hunting smaller Deer with the .223 Cartridge, and it works quite well. I loaded mine with 26.0grs. of W-748 to a muzzle velocity of 2912 FPS. Accuracy was better than with the 70gr. Speer with groups running from 3/4" to 1 1/4" for 5 shots at 100 yards. The 64gr. Winchester Power Point performs quite well for a .22 caliber bullet, and I have never recovered any from a Whitetail shot in the chest.

I have been tempted to try the new .22 Caliber Nosler Partitions, but since I bought 500 of the 64gr. Winchester Power Points in bulk, I will be shooting them for a few more years.

Both of the above loads were developed in a Ruger KM77RFP MKII with a 22" Barrel, and are safe in my gun. As stated above start at a lower powder charge and work up to your guns maximum load that is accurate.

SD Handgunner

I have used the 64gr win and 55 trophy bonded bear claw loads on deer.The 64's seem to blow up more and the deer dropped faster than the 55 TB I think the shock was greater form the blow up.The TB's I have shot 2 deer myself and one my friend this year with my rifle. All bullets shot through and deer dead in 40 yards.A big buck I shot the TB with through his shoulder bone I do not think the 64 win load would do that. I will be shooting the 55Tb next season They did a nice job on 3 deer this season inclueding the shoulder bone on that big buck. nice 25 cent size hole blowing out to.

I don't care for the .223 caliber on anything myself.......not even varmits. :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The 223 is just another round out of the tons of rounds out there.I really doubt it makes any diffence what round you shoot being a 22mag or a 220 swift as long as you aim it well. Finding what your are going to shoot is the part that really matters. People put to much stock in a "certain magic round" like it is a magic killing machine better than anything else out there.I doubt coyote cares if it was a 22mag or a 300 win mag that hit him when he is laying dead at my feet.

again -- I know all about the waivers, correct aiming, and yadda yadda yadda.

I am looking for information about bullet types being used and any info about reloading tips for this specific bullet ----- used specifically for whitetails.

As you all know, bullet type is VERY important.

Thanks again.
Steve

Barnes Bullets have the most penetration of just about anything on the market, if you hand load your own. Winchester Fail Safes (factory ammo) have a tendency to shed their petals far to quickly. It takes awhile to work up an accuracy load with those Barnes bullets. Set the bullet back off the land by some .50 .60 thousandths.

Hey Allgrainbeer,

Over the past 2 years I have shot 4 deer with the .223. I shoot the barnes X-Bullet. All deer I have shot were shot through the boiler room. I was most impressed with a large Doe I shot. She quartering to me and I took her through the right front shoulder at 75 yards. It brook the right front shoulder and exited between the last two ribs on the off side. She ran 40 yards. I have also heard that the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is a good choice as well. Also Nosler makes a 60 gr Partition in .224cal. All good choices, but I am X-bullet man. As for particular load, I will go check my log book tonight and report back tomorrow. Happy and safe hunting.

MIVB

Hi ALLGRAINBEER i am new to a 223 i will put it to the test this deer season i am used to using a 22 250 with 36.5grs of Varget with a BT i am used to using it to fill my doe tag and that buck out out before a doe did i killed a 7 point buck 208 yrds with it and i am going to load my 223 with a 50gr BT it made a small hole looking at it BUT when you got the hide down and seen where the bullet hit :eek: it made a HOLE good luck it is just shot placement i didnt get my 300 wby out of the safe last yr so this yr i am going to try my new 223 out to fill my doe tag VM

I shoot a 7 mag myself but I hand load 223 and 22-250 for my wife and daughters. The 223 I have loaded with 27 grains of Varget and a barnes 53 gr X bullet. I have yet to ever recover a bullet. Even at 150 yards on a 200lb(gutted) buck there was complete pass through. The only draw back I have is that you can't see the hole on either side and there is usually no blood trail. Sometimes it takes them a while to expire(very little damage)

They have cousins that I have loaded 55gr rem psp for in 22-250. These leave a lot better blood trail and usually pass through also(no big bones). My neighbor also has shot several with 55 gr nosler ballistic tips in 22-250. They leave a heck of an entrance wound but sometimes no exit hole at all(complete bullet explosion).

On a side note...a few years ago I shot a small doe at 40 yards walking fast. I use a 7 mag loaded with 140 gr nosler partitions and 65 grns of 4350 IMR. To make a long story short I had to shoot her 5 times to put her down. When I was butchering her I found my first shot and "first ever" nosler partition. It was lodged against a rib on the entrance side. It had never made it to the lungs or even broken into the chest cavity. As she was walking she had raised her leg high enough that I hit the leg bone dead center. All that was left was the back half of the partition and it looked like there was very little lead in it(back half empty).

I have shot several length wise and have never recovered a partition. One even hit the pelvis bone where you split it when gutting and blew out about a 4 inch section of it and then exited the front of the brisket.

I also shot through a seven inch hedge tree and still killed a doe with a complete pass through. After I saw the tree had been hit I figured she was long gone and not even injured. When I skinned her out the entrance and exit wounds were amazing. On the entrance side it was a perfect .284 hole and on the exit side it was a rectangle. The back half of the partition is all that had made it through the tree and it exited the rib cage sideways. For those not following this imagine pulling a pencil eraser out of a new pencil and throwing it through a deers chest.

I now check all of my noslers to see if the back half has lead in it before I seat them. 8^)

I plan on trying some of the new 60 gr nosler partitions in my 223 and 22-250. They should open up quickly but still penetrate well.

pa deer hunter
i have had excellent results with the load listed on the varget powder bottle for my smei-auto .223
i have tried many combinations. the only difference is i shoot the 55 v-max because of the flat base and i can load them longer to fit my rifle better. a lion isn't as big as a deer but i would say they are probably more durable. she took one in the shoulder head on at 250 yards and it broke the upper bone and went into the lungs. the second one hit in the back ot the skull and exited thru the mouth. i think it is all about accuracy and haveing a weapon that you can hit what you are aiming at. my best groups with this load are 5/8" and i am convinced that the stability of this powder is what shrunk my groups. other powders opened up when shot in a hot chamber and bbl. not to mention the big difference in ambient temperature we have here. i want a load that i don't have to re-zero. give it a try after all thats the fun of finding out what your .223 likes. like what was stated a .22 mag will do the job. dead is dead but there is no substitute for accuracy. a brain shot with a .22 mag 40gr. hollow point under 70 yards will kill as good as anything. although we can't hunt deer with that caliber i use it for pigs turkey and all the small predators. i think it's good that you chose a .223. i have older friends and one of them thinks he needs a .338 and misses alot and another that shoots a hornet with great skill. i guess that why they make chevys and fords. good luck and i hope you get those deer before the newly imported lions do. a friend in n.e. pa had one treed by his house dog in the front yard.

I no longer shoot deer with the 223 but I did for years.(all I had as a kid) I took 11 bucks ranging from 130 to 190 lbs. and about 5 does with it. I didn't reload but I had good luck with Winchester, 55 gr. PSP's. for head and neck shots ,you couldn't beat it.Of all the deer I shot with that Remington Mod 788. I never lost an animal. Draw back was I had to let alot of good bucks walk because I didn't have the right shot. Now I shoot a 280 and life is good!

Originally posted by allgrainbeer:
[qb]I repeat, this is ONLY for individuals that use the 223 for deer -- ON A REGULAR BASIS.

I Need particular informaton about reloading - types of bullets being used, and what type of powder and amount being used.
[/qb]
Okay, I don't use a 223, BUT, one of my co-workers goes "home" every year and uses his 223 Contender with a slew of ag damage doe permits. He's using a 55gr Balistic Tip in factory ammo (he thinks it's Hornady ammo). He's shot 20 or so in the last few years.

Not my cup of tea mind you; but with the RIGHT bullet a 223 should work on small to ave deer.

Allgrainbeer:You have asked a very direct question that I will answer. I have a 788 223. Load is 29 grains of BLC2, and a 50 gr V-Max going 2950 fps. I have killed 3 Does. One went maybe 20 yards! The others alittle farther. All were heart shots. The inside of the chest cavity looked like a grenade had gone off inside. No and I mean NO meat damage. The bullet did not exit. I only took perfect rested shots and the rifle is a tack driver. The longest shot was a lazered 176 yards. The others about 75 yards. Ter

I bought a Thompson Encore in 223 for my sons age 10 and 7. They both shoot this gun very well and shoot them right behind the shoulder. The load is 26 grains of varget behind a 60 grain Berger MEF moly-coated HP. The 10 year old has killed 3 deer with it and one turkey. The 7 year old has killed 1 deer and I have a neice that has killed a deer with it. 2 deer have dropped where they stood, the other 3 ran about 15 yards. Ive been long winded but I am real proud of this gun and load and most important of those kids.

Howdy Will, I see you're from Breckinridge. My Mom's side of the family is from up there. She has a sister still living there and my Grandmother and Grandfather have both moved out to Hubbard lake. (Not much lake up there anymore)

Anyway, I've got about 300 acres out in Woodson, great Dove huntin, and OK coyote hunting. Might need to meet up sometime!

Anyway, I only ever shot 1 deer with my .223, a doe at 50 yards. I hit her right between the eyes with a 55 grain Gameking BTHP. When I was a kid, I popped a small fork horn at about 90 yards with a .222 using remington 50 grain PSP. It dropped him in his tracks, taking out his heart and not exiting.

I do however shot quite a few pigs with the .223. I've found that 55 grain Remington PSP's work pretty good on 'em. Most have been head shots, with a few body shots....so far none have taken another step.

On the other hand, my go to gun has and always will be my Rem. 600 Mohawk in .308

I popped a 320lb boar this year with it. He was standing broadside at 40 yards and I driled him right behind the shoulder with a 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt (can ya tell I like Remingto Ammo?) At 40 yards a HUGE amount of dirt exploded off of him up in the air, this fat @$$ porker didn't miss a beat, he wirled and ran out of sight. The only thing I could here was the sound of low hanging limbs popping as he ran through them.

I waited 10 minutes and went to look for him. Found him about 75 yards away from where I had fired. NO BLOOD! A very slight trickle on his hair from the entry wound. His skin and fat had just closed up the hole. There was NO exit wound, and this was at 40 yards with a .308

In this situation I was very glad that I didn't have my .223

Why didn't I shoot him in the head you might ask? Well then I wouldn't have his perty bleached skull and 3 inch tusks adorning my desk top!

Put yer bullet in the boiler room on any deer you shoot and you'll be fine! Watch out for that shoulder blade though.

Jake

i know you asked for loads for the 223,i shot a 22-250 for deer this year.55 gr trophy bonded bear claws,200 yds plus dropped where they stood one doe and a 180 pd buck .cant load the tb cheaper than the factory loads over the counter though.they are high as a loading compent almost a dollar a peice.but work great!and i was the friend who used phatoms 223 ,223 this year on one day.later donovan

Back