ohio coyote hunters?

To add to what T Harris says, The area he describes is my stomping grounds and the sheep and cattle farmers usually love a good dog slayer.

Only complaint I have is the rapid residential growth in this area makes high powered rifle shooting kinda scary. I haven't shot the 22-250 around here in 10 years and am starting to worry about the .223 as well. The good thing is we have a lot of smaller crop fields surrounded by brushy fence rows that make scattergunning possible, especially two guys teaming up to trade off calling and shooting. Lots of dogs though, for sure.

A buddy in Ostrander was driving his daughter on an errand. She said, "Look at that deer;" Turns out it was a large yote in broad daylight with a rabbit in its mouth. My friend stopped the vehicle, and it dropped the rabbit and ran. It was just recently and 30 yards from the road. I may check with him on yote hunting locations. Thanks for the tip.B

I have some contacts up that way. Im about 1 1/2 hrs from columbus. I have had a guy up that way call me several times wanting me to come up that way and hunt.

Are any of you all close to columbus area? Anyone be interested in hunting a couple days? I would love to get up that way, for a couple days.

Brent

where you at kee kee? i'm about 45 miles west of colombus, 1 mile from mad river mt. ski resort, i have quite a bit of private land to hunt and the callin has been pretty descent the shootin part has been the pits..lol.. i'm 4 out of 10 so far. if not to far for you, your welcome to come up for a weekend hunt sometime. let me no if interested.

Im right down on the Ohio River. The most southern tip of the state. It takes me about 1 1/2 hrs to get to columbus area from here. I would love to get up there for a couple days and hunt some flat ground...lol

Brent

I'm interested and may be able to do a day (Assuming there is space). I live in Delaware county just north of Columbus. Let me know the options. Bob

went out last night and called some I had no responses but when walking out through the open field I found some tracks narrow with a supprisingly long walking stride that circled my calling position to dn wind through the open field but stayed just below the ridge of the hay field has any one else had this happen before? I always thought that easterns stayed in the brush or on the edge of it 90% of the time.

On Saturday I had one cross a cut bean field at first light. Did the same thing. Circled around out of sight. Had I been watching 360 degrees I might have had a shot, but I was watching the place I last saw him. Busted!

They like to work the edges, but not 100% of the time. Every year I have a few that will cross open areas. At night they dont seem to have any problems crossing an open area and if they are not hunted hard they will cross with no problems. It just depends on the area and the pressure. My favorite set up is with an open area to the down wind side ans a shooter set up were they can see the down wind area and the open area. If they want my wind then they haft to pay for it! I also like to call a cross wind, I will set up were I can see the down wind side. I like to be able to see the down wind side if im calling by myself. And a cross wind will allow me to do this. If they come strait in then I got them and if they go down wind I got that coverd to. Hard to do in alot of places though, just haft to try and pick the best stand you can.

Bob, Im going to be headed that way a couple times. Shoot me an e-mail.

Brent

Thanks Brent will do.

Question for the board then. I have been hunting early morning/late evening (daylight) with my .223 (in cover); caller/decoy positioned in the open field and upwind. Hence they would have to enter the open field or the perimeter cover.

If I understand correctly the above, I should be in the woods with 12 gauge, open field behind me (downwind of me). Correct? B

I drove out on Thursday and was surprised at the development. So many pockets of houses in the deep woods make it challenging. I never bothered to ask any farms because of this. More toward Union county looked better.
The good news is that I have been asking farmers in my part of Delaware for permission to hunt (so far about 800 acres). I believe what Brent said about scouting in the off season as a means of making hunting season more productive. So far so good. Several told me of coyotes they have seen, but I haven't gotten any to answer my howls at night when scouting the property?? One farmer said he lost all his chickens and 16 barn cats to yotes in previous years.
I have also requested from the state of Ohio if they have the who and what and where on livestock kills as a means of finding more scouting land and inviting farmers. I believe they pay the farmers and also keep records. I'm hoping for some good info from the department that handles that.
Any luck Harris on your end? B

No luck here either. I have been trying to locate some for Brent to work. Its like they were never here. Its just like back in the 70s when turkeys first made there appearance in this part of the state. I did see a nice Red Fox sat morning wouldn,t you know I didn,t have the camera with me.

Back