NYS Coyote Hunters

Goose, Thank ya much! Glad you are happy with the bullet call. Wish you great success! Any questions feel free to ask. Thank ya too for the website. Regards, Mark.

Handgunr, any luck in the buck department? Been warm down here and they have really been movin. No top notch racks to speak of though. Lots of does and 2-3 year old bucks. Hear the cold's gonna hit us this weekend. Anybody have any decent days in the field lately with any NY type critters? Mark.

Mark,

Nothing this weekend. We were out both days, dawn to dusk, and in a reportedly good area too. 3 large bucks taken there.
No coyotes showed up for a little lead in their diet.

Sat. we're heading for our special area up near Hermitage, NY, then if nothing shows, we'll head up to York for an afternoon, and maybe fill my doe tag for 8H. About this time of the season, the deer have reverted to being totally nocturnal, and during the day, they're usually bedded out in the goldenrod fields and isolated brush patches.

My property, and the back lot that surrounds it, is all goldenrod and scrub. A few years back, knowing my property very well, I knew that the bucks will follow does back in to bed around a diversion ditch that runs from my property line, down and out to the potato field.

I had Dennis walk wide, out and around that ditch, staying downwind of it at all times. I watched him, and once he was in position, I started through the brushline that runs along that ditch, pushing deer "hopefully" out the end where he was standing.
Sure enough, a large buck popped out the end, and wanting to run in the direction that Dennis was standing in, changed his mind at the last minute, and bolted out and across the potato field. Dennis drilled him at about 60-75 yards with a quartering away shot that transfixed his liver, lungs and offside shoulder.
He dropped on the spot, and was a beaut' for a later season deer.

There's suppose to be snow this Sat. (starting friday), so we'll see if they get moving a little more.
Like I mentioned earlier, for those who haven't gotten anything yet, hunting on a high point (hill or treestand) overlooking a nice goldenrod field, keep your eye open for antler's moving in the grass. Bucks (at this time of season) will more often bed in those open fields, and if you keep your eyes peeled, you'll spot those horns when they turn their heads.
Nothing's in the woods at all around here (too noisey with the dried leaves), and with the hunting pressure, they feel more comfortable out in the open.
Many times right behind your houses.

Take care,
Bob

Bob, BIG patch of goldenrod RIGHT behind the house. Deer bed/eat/keep "safe" in it. This year cause of the rain here it got over 6' tall.Fact is raining as I type.Been wet here since spring/summer near the Susq. I can't tell you how many decent deer I saw in it. And am still seeing. BUT, not the one with the 12 p's. Heavy winds suppose to hit us today with snow on the way. Gonna change them moving/bedding big time. Teethy critter time------------but isn't it always this time of year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Regards, Mark.

sureshot56:

And it's still raining! I haven't seen this much rain and moist weather in years. The joke here is, 'just what we need, more rain'.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rain and high winds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was hoping you guys out in the western part of the State would show a little kindness and keep it all. LOL

All in all though, to my way of thinking the weather has been very ..... agreeable. I'd like to see a few inches of snow, but I guess it's only a matter of time. Hopefully, when we see snow it won't be that wet crusty stuff that's bad for the animals.

This cabin fever has gotten the best of me. Going to sneak out back for a quick 45 minutes hunt. Hey, maybe the predators are thinking like me./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good hunting.

Perri

Rcpilotjae:
Yep, was a bad spring/summer in the S. Tier. That's for sure. Nobody around here ever saw rain like that either. BUT, looks like the cold is here for a while now. (At least NOAA sez so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif) "Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow."

It's 18 degrees here in Tioga CO.as I write and it feels GOOD. We've had some light coverings of the white stuff, but nothing that has stayed. Same thing with the yotes here. Been raising cain over kills. It's darn hard to pull them off kills thought. But it sure does get the blood up! Those melanistic yotes are real beauties.Wish you success. Regards, Mark.

Mark,

Sunday was a real bust......everything "Murphy" happened that day.

On the way to our north county hunting area, I clobbered a teenager that bolted out in front of us from a hidden alley. Thank God for smaller favors, I was only puttin' along at 20-25MPH. The kid, along with his buddies, were playing some kind of "chicken" game as they were loitering outside the local market. One reason I slowed down after waiting for a car to turn ahead of me was that I saw one of the kids bolt out into traffic carrying a 12 pack of soda.

There was an old lady sitting parked in front of the store as well, and when I was passing her car, I thought I was totally passed beyond the group of kids. But, one kid "just bolted" out from around a blind corner behind me, shot across in front of that old lady's car, and right out in front of me from a blind quartering angle.
No way could I stop that fast, and Dennis said it happened so quick he couldn't get it out of his mouth. I hit the kid pretty solid (even at that speed), and knocked him to the pavement.
I thought that I had rolled over him slightly, knowing that the trucks front differential was positioned imminently in the center.....but, all of a sudden, he popped right up on his feet and bolted out of the road like nothing happened.

Being an ex-cop, I swung the truck over to the curb, and jumped out to check on the kids welfare. He ran away from me and bolted around the same hidden corner. Extremely worried, and somewhat p*ssed that he ran, I went after him and cornered him around that corner. He was holding his arm, and needless to say, was shook up. I did a cursory examination on his arms, legs and chest, as he kept saying, "I'm alright, I'm alright". I told him "you more than likely think you're alright right now....that's adrenalin talking".
He had a minor brush burn on his right elbow, and that was it.
When I told him I had to call the local PD to respond, he went hysterical and started crying uncontrollably. He stated that "they hate me.....they know me and hate me, I'll get into trouble !".
I told him not to worry about that as it was besides the point, but thought to myself (once I calmed down and realized he was okay)....good, maybe you should worry about trouble.....man....kids.
I guess the kid (based on the responding officer....one of my old recruits) is quite the village troublemaker, and was referred to by the officer (in confidentiality) as a "little woodchuck".
We were both worried about the kid, and no one deserves a lack of concern based on their past or current behavior, but geeze man.

The Patrolman checked everything out and reported the results to the mother......guess what....She responded with a very calm..."Oh really ?, is he okay ?, with the report of a small brush burn by the officer, she said "Oh, he'll be fine"..and by the officers report, didn't seem the least bit concerned. Man no wonder the kid is a problem in the village.
Not that it's an important issue by any stretch, and gladly, the kid was relatively unscathed, but the truck ended up going in the garage for considerable plastic and hood repairs (out of pocket). Nice.....

Anyway, to top that off, after continuing on to hunt (and being quite rattled) while in the process of trying to light my smoke with the vehicle's lighter, I fumbled the g-damn thing and burned a nice hole in the trucks carpet....sh*t!

Then, on top of all that....we never saw a thing until we headed back out to the road at dark.....a whole "flock" ran across in front of us....NICE!

Some days it just doesn't pay to get outta bed, does it ?

Take care,
Bob

Bob:

That's some story! I have to believe it's the parents fault. These kids aren't bad they just don't have a good home life or someone there that cares enough to guide them in the right direction. Playing 'chicken' with cars & trucks is very dangerous. I don't have to tell you that. You will have better luck next outing.

Sureshot56:

The big snow storm was a bust. It covered the ground here, but with the rising temps it's going away quick. Now they're saying more snow this weekend. We'll see. I'll be getting down to Chautauqua late next week to hunt and I hope there's a coating on the ground, just enough to see tracks..

rcpilot,

Yeah, I agree with you for the most part, and that's after being a cop and dealing with them over the years. Many (not all) of their troubles and issues stem from the way their parent's directed them. Even early on.
The bad part is, knowing the kid is kind of mentally challenged, I worried whether they'd go back to doing it again. Kid's nowadays try to prove their manliness through skateboard accidents and dumb stunts where they get hur real bad, or come close to death. Then before you know it, they're back doing the same stuff again.
My old man used to say...."ten foot tall & bulletproof", when referring to the youth mentality.

After shoveling out my pants over it all, I now have to locate a good supply of super glue to put all that grill plastic back together.

For all this, I just know that the "Venison Gods" will now smile upon my meager life. Maybe not though.....it's getting close to the end, so possibly "Coyote and Fox God's ?".....I'll take either one really.

Take care,
Bob

rcpilotjae, yeh, just a little covering nightly here too.But looks like it might do some white stuff this week before ML. Hope ya pick up good sign. Oh, please check your PM. Regards, Mark.

Hey Bob,

Glad that everything worked out for the kid and you. It seems like sh*t comes in spades. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You did the right thing making sure the kid was okay. As a parent I certainly appreciate that. Why kids do what they do is another topic that will NEVER be fully understood. We can all look at ourselves and know how true this is.LOL

I'm betting the hunting Gods smile on you for doing the right thing for the right reasons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Perri

Bob, Rcpilot,and Perri. In my opinon the kid and his "parents" should be hauled into the local magistrate. That type of crap not only endangers the kid and his "buddies." But endangers the law abiding people they pull those stunts on. Mark.

Thanks Mark, Perri and RC,

Most folks alone shudder at just the thought of hitting a kid with their car, not that they ever had, but just the thought.

After I realized that "all was well" with the kid physically, I wanted to shake the sh*t out of him.

Not that it was my primary concern at that time, but the kids stupidity cost me a few bucks I didn't have at Christmas, and more than likely, a few years off of my life.

Going after the mother & father for damages, I feel, would've been a fruitless venture. They're impoverished types, and from what the Officer said, their mindset and way of life probably keeps them locked in that style of living.
I've had a couple of nightmares since, and I can still see that kid being hit and disappearing under the hood......even if it was the kids fault, it would've made the rest of my days hell if the kid was killed and I had to live with that "what if" , and "why", mentality for the rest of my life. No matter the fault, "he died, and you killed him", would've been a daily painful thought and mental image.

And to think of all those complaints I had to race to in the patrol car, and at the speeds we had to drive back then. Even with lights & sirens going, hitting someone wouldn't have been good.

The way I look at it.......if it taught the kid a lesson, and he adheres to it's teachings, it more than likely could "save his life" in the future regarding "looking both ways" considering this incident.
If that is considered....then maybe it was a good thing.

Considering a similar issue where someone was going faster, or turning their head to look at something, being on the cell phone, etc., this whole thing most definitely would've had a more grim outcome.

Anyway....the hunting day sucked overall, but so far this year, it's been going that way. Deer season has been getting progressively worse every year since the mid 90's, and the visual sightings of nice bucks (and deer in general) has been getting less & less.

It seems though, from the sign and sightings, that coyote & fox might be taking a turn for the better.

Hopefully so.....

Take care,
Bob

Mark:
You have a very good and valid point. I would do the same myself. But after Bob's description of the 'Mom', I wonder if it would even bother her or make her stop and think a bit, getting a 'wake-up call'. These type of folks remain in their own little world not caring for anyone but themselves. A trip to court won't even phase them and that is just a shame. I can honestly say I don't know what the answer is, seems in this modern age we live in, everything is all backwards. If this would have happened just 30-40 years ago it would be much different. But today everyone is correct and no ones wrong. One thing gets blamed on another, to another and so forth. There seems to be no morals or common sense anymore. It is sad.

Bob:
It has to be very hard for you. This is going to haunt you for a long time. Even being an officer and dealing with this type of stuff for half your life will make it no better. And you're probably right, going after them for reimbursement maybe harder than just forgetting it. I certainly hope this kid got a 'wake-up call' and won't do something as fool hardy as this again. But who knows. One tick of the clock and it could have been much worse. I think the Gods where looking over you and you will be repaid for doing the right thing. Remember that what goes around, comes around. I'm a firm believer in that saying.

-JohnE

Back