Nov. & Dec. 2020 hunts

Sunday November 29 2020
The old saying “ better to be a half hour early than five minutes late” echoed through my mind as I left the truck this morning.
I was back to the area where I had the cartwheeling coyote and the stuck brass last Friday.
Not sure how I lost track of time but I was late leaving this morning and it would prove to be a coyote hunting mistake.
The sky to the southeast was already gleaming bright orange and I still had a half mile walk ahead of me.
No coyotes at the cut line as I passed by at a hurried pace this morning. Once I entered the field and started walking east I could only hope the coyotes hadn’t already passed through.
I hadn’t walked very far when I see a group of three heading north on the coyote trail. I was down on my knees with the rifle on the bi-pod but held off from taking a long shot. Once those three were out of sight I stood back up only to see two more following the same route as the previous three. Back down and once again let those 2 pass by. Once those ones were out of sight I continue my way eastward. Set up closer to the trail than usual and once settled in, I really disliked the new spot I had chosen. Got up to move back to the old spot and sure enough, a coyote crest the hill at the same time and spots me. I now watch the north end of an southbound coyote disappear over the hill. I sure managed to screw this hunt up and my expectations of seeing anymore coyotes was fading away.
A minute later, the bright sun rays break over the hilltop and are shining directly into my eyes. I couldn’t see a coyote now even if I wanted to. That s the problem with this spot but its my only option for this particular trail. Packed up and had an uneventful walk back to the truck

Saturday December 5 2020
Today I was back to the area where I was a late comer last Sunday morning. Not doing that twice in a row, I found myself leaving the truck with lots of time to spare before legal shooting light.
We have seen a few days that were above freezing which not only settled the snow somewhat , it put a crust on it. Although the moon was only half full, the countryside was quite bright as I journeyed towards my look out point.
After departing from the old road and 100 yards or so into the field, I see a coyote to the east who is heading down the trail towards the treed slough bottom. The coyote sure didn’t act like it seen me as it casually walked the entire time. Still being a few minutes before legal shooting light, I waited until it disappeared into the cattails before carrying on. I hurried along to my predetermined spot and got set up with a few minutes to spare. Ten minutes later another coyote comes into view but this one is much further out in the field. With the aid of the binoculars, I can see the crusted snow is making for easy traveling and now I’m a tad concerned that this trail I’m watching, may not be as well traveled as I hoped.
A few more minutes pass and much to my relief, I see a coyote coming down the trail. Its not in a big hurry and I let it come to a spot that would have it in full view. With a vocal howl, the coyote stops and everything unfolded like planned. With a well place shot, I have the coyote down.
Not seeing anything for the next half hour ended my window of opportunity as the sun broke over the crest of the hill. Now basically blinded by the first direct sun rays of the morning I pack up and walk out to fetch the coyote.
On the walk out, I see a coyote to the northeast but I believe it winded me and was distancing itself from me.
With my deer drag harness already on, it would be a quick range for shot distance and a picture before making the long drag back to my truck. A very nice light colored coyote which was now ranged at 121 yards from where I sat.
I was sitting in the sunlit area in front of the cattails with the tallest trees in the background. ( roughly 60 yards west of the trail). The picture doesn’t do this coyote justice.

Snowshoes, these are some beautiful pictures with Great stories. Thank you. It has to be frustrated to have that many coyotes in range to shot and the ammo wouldn't eject. We got 3-6" of fresh snow yesterday afternoon/evening. I'm hoping the wind dies down tonight, but doesn't look good. Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Lockrotor

Sunday December 6 2020
The continued warm weather has really did a number on our snow but at least I now can get into a few more areas that previously were off limits.
A successful test run yesterday though a field to an area where I planned on calling today not only proved I could drive in but there was at least one coyote in the area ( I kicked one out of a slough bottom as I was checking things out)
This morning I was greeted with calm and warm weather which made the snow better suited for making snowballs than walking on. After leaving the truck I found a snowmobile track in the field that I followed but there was very little benefit in such wet mushy snow.
Set up on a grassed over dirt pile and within a couple minutes I have a whitetail doe and fawn trot within 20 feet of me. The wind was in my favor and with me sitting perfectly still, they never picked me out. What a great way to start the morning.

Only a minute would pass before spotting a coyote on a large dirt pile to the southwest. Unfortunately the coyote was sky lined so I held off shooting. With a few lip squeaks, I had the coyotes attention and it decided to come closer to investigate. Once the coyote came down the bank, it stopped long enough for me to get a shot off. The recoil of the rifle jumped the scope off my target but it sounded like a hit. Try as I might, I couldn’t see the coyote laying there but I had high hopes. Tall grasses hindered my efforts of seeing coyote fur.

I contemplated calling but with it being so warm, I thought better of it. A colder day likely would have greater results.
Another 15 minutes pass-by before I see a coyote standing in the same spot as the one I had shot at earlier. The coyote looked to be sniffing at something but I couldn’t be sure. Hopeful its a different coyote but thoughts of it being the first one who may have been just grazed, runs through my mind.
This time the shot is witnessed and I watch the coyote scramble a few feet uphill before falling back down the slope. Sat for a bit longer but I had a feeling I was just wasting my time now. Packed up, then walked over and low and behold I had two coyotes on the ground. The first one was laying in such a manner, that its white belly was towards my lookout spot and I didn’t pick it out. Ranged the shots at 122 yards respectively.
The first coyote was a big female ( the one on the left) and the second coyote was a big male. The biggest female so far this season and likely the biggest male also.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorSnowshoes, these are some beautiful pictures with Great stories. Thank you. It has to be frustrated to have that many coyotes in range to shot and the ammo wouldn't eject. We got 3-6" of fresh snow yesterday afternoon/evening. I'm hoping the wind dies down tonight, but doesn't look good. Have a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Lockrotor
Thank you for the fine comments.
I hope the wind dies down for you and a Merry Christmas to you and your family also.
The stuck brass was frustrating but I have it all under control now
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWhat a great looking pictures.
Thank you lockrotor

Hey SS. I truly appreciate the time you take with the photos.
It just adds a whole lot more then just your great stories.

Like the others, I to was waiting for the picture stories from Snowshoes to begin....Thank goodness they have,I was worried Mr shoe's had fallen ill or worse. Great pictures and stories Mr. shoes,you are truly gifted in keeping us captivated in your writing.

Originally Posted By: borkonHey SS. I truly appreciate the time you take with the photos.
It just adds a whole lot more then just your great stories.

Thank you borkon, I try avoiding any graphic pictures and most importantly, keeping my feet out of the pictures
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AWSGreat series of pictures and stories, I'm glad your having a good year.
Greatly appreciated
Originally Posted By: jnormanLike the others, I to was waiting for the picture stories from Snowshoes to begin....Thank goodness they have,I was worried Mr shoe's had fallen ill or worse. Great pictures and stories Mr. shoes,you are truly gifted in keeping us captivated in your writing.
Thank you very much jnorman, I too am glad to not have fallen ill or tipped over
smile.gif

Wednesday December 9 2020
Well the temperature was a bit cooler this morning than my previous outing but not by much. A degree below the freezing mark and basically no wind made for another enjoyable day of watching coyote trails. Once again I was south of the poultry farm and out of the 3 spots where I have set up, I picked the middle location for today;s viewing pleasures.
Shortly after I got sat down, I see a coyote coming across the field from the northeast but its still too early to shoot. I watch the coyote swings south and head basically towards the other location I sit at. ( to the east of my location)
A few minutes later another coyote comes from the northwest and heads the same direction as the first! Still too early to be shooting so I just watch it pass by also.
Later when it is legal shooting light, I see a coyote leave the reeds of the big slough to the north and it traveled towards the other location that I sometimes sit at. ( Northwest of where I sat today) A 33% chance of where to sit and I picked the wrong spot by the looks of it.
A few more minutes tick by and I see another coyote leave the slough bottom but this one is heading north.
With the aid of the binoculars I pick out a scruffy looking coyote to the north. It has a very dark neck and shoulders and soon disappears into reeds. Never did see that coyote again.
At 8:45 a.m. I see a coyote who is having a bad hair day coming across the field towards me. I get the rifle into position while the coyote stops and looks around for a half minute or so. It was in range but the farmyard was somewhat in line of fire so I held off. All the coyote needed to do was come another hundred yards south but it decides to go back the way it came. I sighed as I watched the coyote leaving the area but then it swings east and travels along a ridge. Once the coyote is in a good clear spot, I bark to stop it. With cross hairs zeroed on the chest, I send a 64 grain hollow point bullet its way. I knew this wasn’t a good coyote but I did walk out to take a picture and then drug it off the field into a clump of cattails. Ranged back to where I sat (133 yards).
I was sitting at the edge of the tress behind where I have the rifle placed.

Once back at the truck, I decided to take a drive up the lease road to check things out. A half mile up the road I notice something on the other lease road to the east of me. The binoculars showed it to be a fox and it was soon joined by another one. These fox, were roughly 175 yards from where I sat but they showed no concern of my presence. I watched them both jump up on their back legs and paw at each other with their front legs. It was fun to watch and with so few fox around here, they were safe from me. They played for a few minutes but eventually sat down and I took that as my cue to leave. I started the truck up and they still payed me no attention.
Well if they are that brave, I would try make a slow sneak on them with the Tundra. I drove a few yards north and turned down the other lease road. They let me get to within 75 yards before standing up as I idled along towards them, the smaller fox trots out in the field a ways. I took a picture of it with my phone but of course, phone camera’s are not great for their zooming capabilities.
This fox was roughly 125 yards to the northeast of me.

The other fox ( the bigger one) walked straight north of me and sat down right after I took its picture. It would have been only a 100 yards out.

I may not have taken any fur home today but all in all, it was a wonderful morning.

That is for sure a ugly looking coyote. The fox are very pretty. There used to be alot around here, but when the coyotes moved in the reds where gone. So if I get 1 or 2 a year now I'm lucky. It use to be 20+ fox and doz grays. But those days are gone, so we chase wile e coyote. Tomorrow morning looks to be below -0F, so will see if anything wants to come out.

Thursday December 10 2020
When I left the house this morning it was 10*F, calm and ice crystals were very prevalent in the air ( especially the low lying areas) Later on when the sun rays stretched across the landscapes it looked as if tiny gleaming diamonds were present in the early morning skies. Now that is all fine and dandy for scenic pictures but when it comes to sitting in one spot for any length of time, well that's another story. High humidity combined with cool air has a way of sneaking through layers of clothing.
This morning I chose the lookout spot where the two early morning coyote passed by yesterday.
Was set up early but never seen a coyote until 8:10 a.m.
The coyote slowly worked its way towards my sniper spot as I watched its progress, first through the binocular and lastly the rifle scope. At what was later ranged at 130 yards, the coyote stops to look towards the bush. Cross hairs are already on coyote fur and with a touch of the trigger, down goes a decent looking coyote.

Nothing eventful happened until 8:40 a.m., when I see another coyote heading to the bush but its too far away for a shot. Sat until 9:00 a.m. but the cooler temperatures were creeping through my multiple layers of clothing.
No battery operated heated wear on today but if it gets much cooler, I will be wearing some, if not all my electrical heated apparel.

Thank you lockrotor
Friday December 11 2020
Yesterday’s forecast for today missed on all accounts. The wind direction was totally opposite, the temperature was much colder and lastly it was very foggy ( there had been no mention of fog)
A change of plans was in order and I half heartily went anyways as I very seldom have luck calling coyotes in foggy weather.
Today would be no different but I gave it an honest try. I set up on the same grass covered dirt mound where I had a whitetail doe and fawn pass very close to me. The last time here, I had taken a female and male coyote but I didn’t sense there would be a repeat performance this time around.

Spaced over 15 minutes, I started off with three series of distress sounds using a bite call, which was then followed with coyote yelps using a diaphragm reed but it seems all this fell on deaf ears.
With visibility only a hundred and fifty yards at best, I didn’t spend a whole lot of time trying to entice coyotes that likely had no intention of coming anyways.

Saturday December 12 2020
This morning was quite cold and I thought I would check out the feedlot along the creek valley. Historically there is always a few coyotes scattered across the valley as they leave the feedlot at first light. I slowly worked my way along the valley rim and noticed a lack of cattle (even more so than the last time here) within the corrals.
A slow stalk to where I so often would see coyotes was now dismally quiet. Very little coyote sign and nothing at the dead pile either but that wasn’t surprising considering nothing had been added since my last visit. How things can change from one year to the next. An area where I have shot many coyotes in past years was now one vast lonely looking area void of any coyotes. As I stood there gazing up and down the valley, I almost felt like the “last of the buffalo hunter’s” from 150 years earlier.
Thoughts of watching those well traveled coyote trails, calling coyotes from the thick bushes and those stealthy stalks that I had enjoyed so much, could easily become a thing of the past. I guess it seemed like it would never end as I have hunted this particular spot for over 20 years. There will always be a few coyotes in the area but the sheer numbers will likely never be duplicated again.

With the temperature sitting at -20*F ( wind chill of -29*F) and not to warm up all day, I had one more spot in mind.

After a 5 mile drive, I parked my truck by a lease site and from there walked almost a half mile up a snow drifted truck trail. Continued to a spot where a good deer trail would lead me through the trees and into medium sized slough bottom. With very crunchy snow underfoot, It was a slow progress for the last 200 yards. I wanted to set up as I did a year ago when I shot 4 coyotes in this same location.
After a couple minutes after setting up at the edge of some cattails, I open things off with a short burst of yelps using a diaphragm reed. A half minute passes but nothing shows so I extend the length of yelps by double. Within a few seconds I see a coyote skirting the cattails to the northeast. Its trotting and I wait for it to stop but then I see another coyote coming across the ice directly east of me. This last coyote is heading north towards the other one and I bark to stop it but it keeps cruising along. There was a spot to the north where the cattails jogged out into the slough and I lost sight of the coyotes. I fully expected to see them come around the corner of the cattails but then I see a third traveling the same route as the first. This last coyote stops, giving me a broadside view and I take the shot. The coyote goes down (161 yards).

I let fly with more yelps in hopes of bringing something else into the open. I briefly see a coyote at the far end of the slough but its going the wrong direction. I never did see the first two again.

December 23 2020
It seems all good things must come to an end and that proved to be the case in the sniper shooting of coyotes off their trails. I’ve been out numerous times this last while watching such trails but basically the coyote activity has dried up over the last few outings. Sometimes a coyote or two was seen but they were always on a trail that I wasn’t.
Even the ravens, and magpies were no longer in the area.
Needing a change of plans, it was time to get back calling coyotes. Warm weather over the last while has eliminated a lot of our snow which would help with vehicle access to a number of spots. A southwest wind combined with a temperature of 7*F making it feel like -9*F, seemed like a good time to return to my favorite ravine 2 miles north of home.

Only a few steps from the truck revealed that the wind had a definite sharp bite to it as I made my way towards the ravine. Yesterdays light skiff of snow still hung onto the grasses giving the recent bare hills a more winter look to them. Whitetail deer who were quite scarce a month ago during hunting season, were now in abundance of both fields and ravine. Once my presence was observed, white warning flags waved from multiple locations as the deer made their escape to the safety of the trees.
A thick clump of tall weeds part way down the north bank is where I would set up. But first, I would need for the clouds to help me out by blocking the direct sun rays from my eyes prior to pulling any calls out.
My view to the southeast ( too bright for good coyote observations)

My view directly to the south (easier on the eyes)

A few minutes later I could see well enough to the southeast that a couple coyote howls would be in order.

The howls echoed throughout the ravines and valley below informing all resident coyotes that a newcomer was in the area. A couple deer came to the edge of the trees to see what all the commotion was about but there was nothing for coyotes.
A few minutes pass before my Randy Anderson Catnip call is pulled out from under my jacket and once again the ravines and valley are awakened with new sounds of the morning. It didn’t take long before seeing a pair of coyotes working their way from below and heading up to the northeast. Once the coyotes are behind a small knoll, I take the opportunity to reposition myself for where they should show up next. A hilltop to the east is soon crested by one of the coyotes. A 64 gr Berger hp is sent on it’s way and confirmation of a hit is noted with the sight of 4 legs pointing skyward. With the aid of a downward slope, the other coyote made it back to the trees in record breaking time.
I tried some yelps to see if I could get ole rocket coyote to come back but at the speed it was traveling, I doubt it could have stopped even if it wanted to.
Ranged the shot at 165 yards, then packed up, and headed over to what looked to be a good coyote.

This coyote ended up having a good furred side and a bad side. When in the cross hairs, I was looking at its good side but unknown to me, it’s other side was anything but good..

The temperatures rose steadily overnight and this morning (December 24th) it was once again above the freezing mark. I seldom have luck calling when this happens, so it would be a morning of watching a trail or two. A little over an hour of sitting and only a few bird pass by.
It appears I have worn out my welcome along the coyote hi-way.
I checked the coyote trail before leaving the area and there was few fresh tracks but nothing to warrant coming back anytime soon.
This mornings view for an hour plus.

I would rather be on high ground than a slough bottom for the pleasure of a view but sometimes sacrifices have to be made.
smile.gif

Last edited:
For some unknown reason, I haven't visited the Great White North in a while, but sure glad I did. Great pictures, and the write-ups! I went along with you on every hunt , felt like I was right there. Us Ga. hunters don't see much snow, but going along with you is just as good.

I haven't seen a coyote in the daytime in years here in my area. The only ones I kill are at night with a thermal, and that's not very many. Keep the hunts and pictures coming!

Snowshoes on the 11th, that whore frost is bad to sit in, just plan out cold. Great picture. Very nice looking coyote on the 12th. The sunrise on the 23rd is beautiful. No good for viewing coyotes as you stated. Those dam shoulder mitts sure do ruin a nice looking coyote. As always thanks for taking us along with you on the hunt. Keep at it.

Back