NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Oh, BTW, mine is also a 12 ga, and will fire 3" shells... It is only about a year old, and has been fired...three times? maybe 4??? I am sure it would benefit from an internal polish job, I have seen more finished surfaces on the fuzzy side of suede than the metal of this shotgun...

I may have stumbled upon a game changer for some of you who hunt where buckshot is legal.

Some of you may have heard about Federal's new 15 pellet #1 buckshot load that is low recoil and uses a flight control wad.
The stock number is LE1321B

These were all shot at 45 yards through a fixed modified 18" rifle sighted barrel on my 870.

I need more paper to test some more and dial in the sights.

This first group pattern was about the size of a cantalope:

buckshot1.jpg

The second round opened up some. I also made a sight adjustment:

buckshot2.jpg

Third closed back up. I may have jerked the trigger some also:

buckshot3.jpg

The best part is that it's low recoil. It was like shooting heavy dove loads.

More.

These next two opened up a little. There were two slight sight adjustments here:

buckshot4.jpg

buckshot5.jpg

These last two closed up. I believe I was flinching a little bit.

buckshot6.jpg

buckshot7.jpg

Here's some scale for that 6th shot:

buckshot6scale.jpg

I never understood why #1 Buck wasn't more popular with law enforcement agencies. Probably because cops have to be accountable for every single pellet and those wide strays that go whistling down the street to hit unintended targets is the concern. But the size of the shot is about right and it holds more pellets so it would seem a natural. At one time the FBI actually used #4 Buck and some other agencies followed their lead. My first duty shotgun, a cylinder bore 18" 870P was stoked with #4 Buck. I remember that there grew some dissatisfaction with knocking people down and keeping them down with the #4 Buck and everybody switched back to 00 Buck. Which makes #1 Buck a good compromise – it would seem anyway.

Try a Hunter Speacialties Undertake choke. Ive rolled up turkey at 50 and 75 yards with this choke. I shoot a Mossberg model 500. number 4 whinchester loads.
Ive also dropped a nice female bobcat at 45 with a 2 3/4 winchester model 1400.
Its a good inexpensive choke.

Try a hunter speacialties undertaker choke.
Ive rolled up turkey at 55 and 75 yards with this choke. Shooting a mossberg model 500 3 inch with number 4 winchester loads.
ive also droppped a nice female bobcat with a model 1400 winchester automatic with this choke shooting 2 3/4 inch number 4 winchester super x loads.
it is a great inexpensive choke!

Sometimes an old ornery Grandpa just feels like posting up an old photo. Keeps us awake I guess. Shotgun is a Beretta Extrema2, and choke tube is a .680 from the boys at Kicks.
DSCF12921.jpg

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66That's a heckuva pattern RC.

I'll share this here ...
As a special request on another forum, here's that Flight Control #1 buck at 30 yards:

p1010017c.jpg

---------------------------------
That pattern should do the trick. Go get em Crazy!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkSometimes an old ornery Grandpa just feels like posting up an old photo. Keeps us awake I guess. Shotgun is a Beretta Extrema2, and choke tube is a .680 from the boys at Kicks.
DSCF12921.jpg

That is probably the best #4 buck pattern at 40yds I've ever seen! My dad shoots an Xtrema II, I'll have to let him know.

Well GC I got that Benelli today. I went with the super nova as I am a wuss and don't like recoil. The POI seems to be the same as POA. I did the 13 yard test you suggested and things looked good so I tried some 30 and 55 yard patterns. The dead coyote Ts looked pretty good out to 55 but the Reminton #4 buck will have to be a 45 and under load. I was using a dead coyote choke. I am not sure what the constiction is on that one but I am going to call carlsons tommorow and find out. I might check into the Kicks chokes to see what hey have for the super Nova. I was impressed with the way it handled recoil. The 3 inch 4 and 00 buck were not bad at all. The 3 inch DC was a little more but not too bad. I have more work to do but I was anxious to get out to try it. If I remember next time I will take a camera.

Rich Cronk,

That's an awesome pattern, that I'm not sure can be topped at 40 Yards with #4 Buck. I have one close to that, using a 3" shell and an Indian Creek .675 choke in an 870, but you've got a few more pellets both in the shell, and on the plate.

Congratulations. I believe I'd just hunt with that combo if I were you.

Well I checked my dead coyote choke tube and its .665. I am going to try something a little bigger to see if I get a better patten with lead at 50 yds. I went to the Kicks web page and saw they have a predator tube now called the Howler. There is one for lead and one for HD. I am not sure what teh difference is but I have a call into them asking for someone to talk to about it.

Originally Posted By: GLA.ORWell GC I got that Benelli today. I went with the super nova as I am a wuss and don't like recoil. The POI seems to be the same as POA. I did the 13 yard test you suggested and things looked good so I tried some 30 and 55 yard patterns. The dead coyote Ts looked pretty good out to 55 but the Reminton #4 buck will have to be a 45 and under load. I was using a dead coyote choke. I am not sure what the constiction is on that one but I am going to call carlsons tommorow and find out. I might check into the Kicks chokes to see what hey have for the super Nova. I was impressed with the way it handled recoil. The 3 inch 4 and 00 buck were not bad at all. The 3 inch DC was a little more but not too bad. I have more work to do but I was anxious to get out to try it. If I remember next time I will take a camera.

You won't feel a thing when shooting at a coyote!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonA trimmed piece of GREEN scotch-brite pad does great too. Just cut it to where it wraps around a 20ga wire cleaning brush (for use in 12ga barrel, use a 12ga brush for polishing a 10ga barrel, and so on) and the edges of the pad just touch. You take the JB paste and rub down into the pad. Insert pad/brush into the chamber end of the barrel, lubricate with Kroil or quality gun oil, chuck the long cleaning rod into a low-med speed drill and make long sweeping strokes up and down the barrel. Just be sure not to run the pad plum out the far end of the barrel. Try not to polish much in the chamber area either. Keep squirting oil in the barrel every so often..... you want a slurry dripping out the end of the barrel while polishing, never let pad run dry as heat will build up inside the barrel and dry out JB paste.

I usually make 25-30 passes (1 pass is down and back) per pad, change pads and go again until I make 100-150 passes depending on the condition of barrel at starting point.

Then just pull a clean patch through until all the residue is out. Run one more with a light coat of oil through before storing.

I have never tried this!! I was wondering is this a "deep cleaning?" or are you removing some of the barrel? I was thinking about having my forceing cone worked on to help with patterns and this should help too?? I use my 870 for most of my hunting and prob need to give it a good deep cleaning. I would think it should help the pattern with all loads or am I wrong about that? I assume there are some other ways to do this.....ideas????

Thanks for the help
Mark

Originally Posted By: Mark_in_WIOriginally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonA trimmed piece of GREEN scotch-brite pad does great too. Just cut it to where it wraps around a 20ga wire cleaning brush (for use in 12ga barrel, use a 12ga brush for polishing a 10ga barrel, and so on) and the edges of the pad just touch. You take the JB paste and rub down into the pad. Insert pad/brush into the chamber end of the barrel, lubricate with Kroil or quality gun oil, chuck the long cleaning rod into a low-med speed drill and make long sweeping strokes up and down the barrel. Just be sure not to run the pad plum out the far end of the barrel. Try not to polish much in the chamber area either. Keep squirting oil in the barrel every so often..... you want a slurry dripping out the end of the barrel while polishing, never let pad run dry as heat will build up inside the barrel and dry out JB paste.

I usually make 25-30 passes (1 pass is down and back) per pad, change pads and go again until I make 100-150 passes depending on the condition of barrel at starting point.

Then just pull a clean patch through until all the residue is out. Run one more with a light coat of oil through before storing.

I have never tried this!! I was wondering is this a "deep cleaning?" or are you removing some of the barrel? I was thinking about having my forceing cone worked on to help with patterns and this should help too?? I use my 870 for most of my hunting and prob need to give it a good deep cleaning. I would think it should help the pattern with all loads or am I wrong about that? I assume there are some other ways to do this.....ideas????

Thanks for the help
Mark

This is a deep cleaning - you should NOT be removing barrel material in this process. Regarding how it affects patterns here is a cut-n-paste post I made from one page back...

It is interesting how barrels react to a deep cleaning. Most will respond really well to it. Some barrels like it much less so. One of my Benelli M1's shoots the absolute best patterns for the first dozen shots from a squeaky clean barrel. The other M1 patterns begin to really get consistent after about a dozen shots have been fired. That first barrel that likes to be squeaky clean begins to quickly lose it's consistent patterns after 12 - 15 shots. The second one stays very consistent with a dirty bore and really isn't losing much for long enough that it doesn't seem to matter as I'll usually clean it at some point before the bore gets fouled enough to notice inconsistent or bad results. Just as some rifle barrels like to be clean or will/can shoot dirty for long periods the same for shotguns if a guy takes the time to notice.

GC I saw your post and thats what made me want to make sure it was only a cleaning and that I should not be removeing any barrel material. I have always just used acopper or nylon brissel brush followed by a mop and oil for cleaning. I guess I was wondering if I should/could expect better patterns as a whole after a deep cleanig. I was also wondering how different people do this or if the greeen scotch pad with some polish/oil is all that is needed. How do you do yours?? This is all new info to me so I hope to get some ideas.
Thanks again
Mark

Back