NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

I turned the HD 3" BB and dead coyote choke on a jack rabbit the other day. Maybe 20 yards max. Never seen a jack drop so fast! When the dust cleared it hadn't moved one inch! Dang near every bone in its body was shattered. Havne't seen a dog in nearly 30 stands! Hope to get one with the shotgun soon!

thought I would share some recent work with the old 1100 3" magnum, that I converted to my turkey, self defense and yote gun.

(As a reminder from early in this thread way back, I shortened the barrel on the 1100 magnum, 30" barrel to 19" and had a tru choke system installed.)

My current load this past year for yotes has been the tru choke Carlson Dead Coyote with the Rem 3" 1300 fps 41 pellets of #4 buck. A super load out to around 40 yds, and it also serves double duty as the farm and home gun. Very happy with how it shoots, patterns very well, and I am pleased, however, I shoot a lot over and around several lakes with ducks, and domesticated ducks in the areas, so I have and been using the Remi HD tungsten BBs recently and the patterns aren't as nice as with lead with the tru chokes, in any of them. Useable, but not up to my normal expectations as with the #4 buck loads.

(I also have Tru Choke Ic, mod and full and xtra full choke tubes)

for turkey I have been using either a truchoke extra full with 3" 2 oz of #4 lead, or the Rem HD tungsten #6 in the truchoke full, with pretty good pattern results, so I was fine there, but I really really wanted to shoot tungsten around the ponds all the time.

anyway, long story and I need to make it short,

I ordered the Kicks High flyer extra full and full chokes for the BB tungsten stuff and to see if I could improve the already good turkey loads even better.

Well, best few dollars I have spent in a while. and I will promise I will post pics of the patterns in the next week or two. I have a new coyote load - the High flyer extra full constriction with the Rem HD 3" BBs is just a super load, very dense, even spread, nice pattern without holes. The full choke high flyer I also bought, is almost as nice, but just a bit larger pattern. This will be perfect for some Geese this winter if I do something crazy and take the short barrel out for them instead of my HK Super Eagle. go figure, they were that good.

The #6 Rem HD tungsten with the high flyer extra full will also now be my turkey load full time.

As I said, pics of the patterns soon.

thanks all.

Last edited:
Good on ya for continuing to seek improvements and all but I have some bad news... I think Remington has discontinued the HD-BB load I like so well and you have now perfected for your own gun.

very cool test, and it confirms everything that i know of shotguns and large shot...

if i had to pick a load to try in the field, i'd like to get my hands on some #2 hevi-shot, in a max load and try them with various chokes... i have had decent luck with lead #2s at 50 yds, give or take, on coyotes...

i also was given some remington hevi-shot BBBs which worked well on the one coyote that i shot with them...

samll or isolated examples, like mine, do not equate to a test and i thank you for your efforts...

32 pages of test results, and not a single attempt to prove this claim:

photo-28.jpg

Product Description
All New Design - Now Ported! Throws dense, tight patterns out to 70 yards with large shot T's. Testing produced an average of 17 lethal T pellets in a 10” circle at 70 yards. With that kind of reach and impact, you can touch a lot of varmints for the last time, and increase your portion of the fur trade.The longer, parallel section in the choke combined with heat-treated 1704 stainless steel produce the compact patterns. Each has a blued finish and knurled end for easy insertion and removal. Lifetime warranty. 12 gauge only. For use with Hevi-Shot, Copper/Nickel-plated, or Lead ONLY - NOT FOR USE WITH STEEL SHOT.

What's holding you back? All you gotta do is go to the range yourself and get with it. Keep us informed how this one works, so far all the other claims of 70+ yard killing patterns has been "exaggerated" advertising hyperbole.

I don't own a shotgun. But I've been researching a purchase.

It says right on the manufacturer's site...

"Devastating patterns... up to 70 yards.

Testing produced an AVERAGE of 17 lethal T pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards."

That's way better than most reports here at 40-50 yards!
blink.gif

Is everybody here doing it wrong, or is this advertising BS?

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't own a shotgun. But I've been researching a purchase.

17 lethal T pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards."

blink.gif

If my product had that ability, I'd post video proof on every gun-related site I could find. So far, I haven't found that video.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI don't own a shotgun. But I've been researching a purchase.

Testing produced an AVERAGE of 17 lethal T pellets in a 10" circle at 70 yards."

blink.gif

If a shotgun shot that tight of a pattern at 70 yards it would be like shooting a rifle at 35 yards.

I shoot most of my coyotes at 35 yards or less with a shotgun so I could care less about setting up a shotgun to kill coyotes at 70 yards.

If you want to kill coyotes at 70 yards use a rifle.

Some people could care less, some people could care more. Not everybody hunts the same way. If you like a looser pattern, there are plenty to choose from.

Point is, that's the claim they make.

Originally Posted By: beaglerMost of us that hunt predators with shotguns know what that claim really is.
rolleyes.gif

Somebody tried to sell me a bridge in Brooklyn once... I didn't buy that one either.
smile.gif

The claim of 17 pellets in 10" at 70 yards is either a total load of crap, or there was one magic shell that did it, never to be duplicated again.

I patterned 3" Winchester Supreme HV 1300fps 1.75 Ounce #5 Lead Turkey loads at 35, 40, 45, and 50 yards. Remington 870, with Indian Creek .665 choke. 50 Yards is no problem as far as the pattern is concerned, but I'd probably recommend #4 Lead over #5 Lead out past 40 yards for Coyotes.

Turkey loads probably kill as many coyotes as buckshot does.

Originally Posted By: 870 Shell ShuckerI'd probably recommend #4 Lead over #5 Lead out past 40 yards for Coyotes.

I wouldn't. I'd recommend #2 at a minimum and preferably BB or bigger.

Call patternmaster they will blow smoke on your backside too.

Hey did you hear that all the new bows kill deer at 70 yards too. So says the salesman at scheels.

By the way if you can get 17 pellets in a 10" circle at 50 I would say you are doing good.

Back