NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Thanks, IC also has a .710 predator choke the black diamond assault, They recommend BB-00 Buck shot..I know they make a great turkey choke hopefully it works out

I tried out the dog pounder yesterday. I used an 870 super mag and an 1187. I used rem HD BB, rem #4bk and dead coyote 3 and 3.5 inch. After testing the Dog pounder I tested the dead coyote choke .. The DC choke beat out the dog pounder on all test patterns except for one ,the 1187 with #4 bk. All test were made at 50yds

After shooting all the possible combinations the dead coyote choke. With the 870 and 3.5 inch dead coyote T shot was by far the best
Combo..I got 13 hits in a 7 inch circle at 50yds

Overall I was disappointed with the dog pounder..

I personally think they need to tighten their constrictions. As I said, Indian Creek seems to be hung up on the idea predator hunters use 00 Buck. Those of us that do this stuff don't really use that large shot and Indian Creek should tighten those predator constrictions up for the smaller No. Four Buck, T-shot, and BB's predator hunters most often use. I have an Indian Creek BDS .665" that does pretty well, though I think it is a smidge too tight for my bore. One of these days I may get a BDS in about .670 - .680" and give it a good wringing out. My bet is it would do really well.

As you state Gary, patterning is everything, I have had fun trying out the chokes in my recent 1100M conversion to a 18.5" turkey/yote gun this past fall. spent a lot of dollars throwing lead, and tungsten downrange here in southern MO. On the Remmington I had the barrel cut down and converted to a truchoke system so I could still shoot 3" shells lead/steel etc. etc. I like a short barrel for turkey and varmint seasons. The gun then also doubles as a home defense gun too.

For fall turkey (I didn't get one, they were scarce this year) I found the Carlson Dead coyote did the best at 40 yds with my normal Remmington lead buffered #4 shot 2 oz loads.

The Carlson Truchoke Dead Coyote also ended up being the best pattern at all ranges to 40 yds with my standard home defense load and coyote load away from the pond (I don't shoot the lead stuff around the pond) I use the Remmington standard #4 buck with 41 buffered pellets in the 3" loads with the DC choke and it does a really nice job. As others have found here on the forums.

Now on my loads I really would like to shoot for turkey and yotes I still am searching for the best choke. What I have at the house is a fair quantity of Remmington 3" BB HD wingmaster Tungsten loads that I would love to shoot all over my property including over the pond areas, and I would also like to shoot my Tungsten #6 HD Remmington HD tungsten loads.

My modified full Truchokes and normal Full choke truchokes just don't seem to like the Remmington tungsten loads, lots of gaps, holes, not shooting to point of aim, a myriad of problems. Only my modified shoots the tungsten stuff ok, but the pattern just isn't dense enough for turkey or yotes at 40 yds.

I am going to pick up a Kicks extra full choke (maybe their full choke too) that can handle steel and tungsten and give the 3" tungsten BB and #6 loads a whirl and see how they do at the longer 40 yard ranges.

I really want to shoot the BB tungsten everywhere on my property and not have to worry about lead in the water around my ponds because of my domesticated ducks etc.

I should have taken a few pics from my patterning sessions, but never seemed to have the camera when I was patterning this fall and winter.

Will keep everyone posted on my Kicks highflyer with the tungsten loads.

Cheers,

Wade

Last edited:
Question...How many pellets would ya'll consider the min. and max to down a coyote at say 50 yards. (and with what shot)

I'm diggin thru these post try'n to decide which choke would work for my 870SPS, the dead coyote choke package claims its good to 70 yards if I remember, to me thats a long way to shoot a shotgun, I'd just about have to see it to belive it, to me 50 yards would be a lengthy shot but sinec I dont have any hands on with thses chokes I really cant say.

On my 1100. 70 yds is a pipe dream or lucky,

I pattern at 40 and sometimes 50 but at 50 it is getting very iffy even with good chokes and ammo.

With your dead coyote choke on the 870, I would try the Remmington #4 buck, has 41 pellets and the Dead coyote choke seems to pattern this round pretty darn nice in most guns and similar chokes.

In regards to shot sizes, heck even at close range normal lager bird shot can work, but most here recommend #4 buck, T shot, BB and sometimes number 2 if you shoot tungsten or heavy shot. Most of us fall into the #4 buck, or heavy shot in T shot or BB. 3" or even 2 3/4 " shells are fine, but I tend to stick to the 3" for the 41 pellets in #4 buck.

Most important thing is to spend the dough and pattern and pattern and pattern. Every gun is different and every load is different.

Cheers and happy patterning.

Was out today and ran a 2nd test on four tubes MD IC .710 MD IC .665 Carlsons DC .665 and Win inv plus turkey. Came up with different results. Before the DC tube had the most hits now it's the factory Win turkey tube(.700) All out of a SX3 using 3.5" DC. RR
DSC00285.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00282.jpg

Originally Posted By: RoadrunnerWas out today and ran a 2nd test on four tubes MD IC .710 MD IC .665 Carlsons DC .665 and Win inv plus turkey. Came up with different results. Before the DC tube had the most hits now it's the factory Win turkey tube(.700) All out of a SX3 using 3.5" DC. RR

I have a Carlsons DC choke for my 12 ga Win X2 Inv. +. It is also .665". That seems pretty tight for the large bore of these Wins and Brownings.

Interesting stuff with that .700 road runner,i have been getting some really good patterns with dead coyote Ts,remington HD BB and winchester 4 buck all 3.5 inch from a pure gold .696,i was sold on the pure gold .670 but have recently switched over to the .696 as it gives me a more consistent very evenly spaced pattern with no big holes in the pattern.
I am shooting a browning maxus with has the same bore dimensions as your winchester.

Coyotejunki,

I had one of those Carlson "Dead Coyote" tubes, but I threw it in the junk. I know that some folks like em, but it was worst tube that I ever tried.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I have one for a Remington, but don't know the constriction. Is it .665 regardless?

It seems to be, that is what everyone reports their choke tube is regardless of the gun being used. That isn't a very satisfactory approach considering the bore diameters run from .723" - .775" in the various 12 gauge guns.

Originally Posted By: ontario_callerInteresting stuff with that .700 road runner,i have been getting some really good patterns with dead coyote Ts,remington HD BB and winchester 4 buck all 3.5 inch from a pure gold .696,i was sold on the pure gold .670 but have recently switched over to the .696 as it gives me a more consistent very evenly spaced pattern with no big holes in the pattern.
I am shooting a browning maxus with has the same bore dimensions as your winchester.

I tested that .700 again after work and put 16 holes in one sheet and 14 in an other so it's not the fluke I thought it was. Funny how jumping .010" (.710)with the indian creek tube drops the pattern almost in half. It's expensive but I won't be second guessing the load when I miss.
blush.gif
RR

GC,

You have way more experience with shotguns than I do, so my question is, given the bore of my 11-87, is the Dead Coyote choke a .665?

The reason I'm asking is due to our conversation a few nights ago about tightening up my groups with the HD BB loads. I had planned to purchase a .665 tube at your recommendation, but I may already have one in the Carlson's Dead Coyote tube.

I had planned to get a Trulock tube. Do you have recommendations for a tube to try (non-ported - can't stand the noise)?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure... but I do think the Dead Coyote choke for the Remington is a .665". You might contact Carlson and see what they tell you. They seem to be very responsive to customers questions. Shooting it is the only way to know how it will pattern. You think ported chokes tubes are markedly louder? I don't know that I can tell the difference... maybe I've shot too many of them over the years. One thing many ported chokes do is the ports strip the wad from the shot column. And in nearly all cases that is a good thing. Federal Flite Control loads being the one case where wad stripping is usually not advised. There aren't a whole bunch of non-ported chokes on the market. Indian Creek will turn you one, that I know for sure and they are best quality products.

Back