New pup, need help training for decoy dog

Coyotejunki

Some call them Tolling dogs. I got this mix Blk Mouth Curr and Cathoula, and maybe a little Jagh somewhere in there. Been about 10 years since I have had a pup.

kTWi5dYm.jpg

bReJcZ0m.jpg

Teeter was about 9-10 wks in the pics. Tuesday she'll be 12 weeks and her 3rd class at obedience school.

She is an agressive pup and will get in any dogs face after she gets introduced for a couple minutes. So far none of the big dogs have been mean. But occasionally put her in her place.

Questions now are when to start training to not be gun shy, come to tone from collar, and when to start dragging a coyote hide and play tug of war with the hide , etc. ?

I am planning on taking her out to AZ this Nov. She'll be around 6 months then. Let her be with 2 very well proven dogs. Probably let her go on a few traplines with these 2 proven dogs since a trapped Coyote will sort of be on a leash so to speak.

Will also take her on stand when we hunt just her and me. Some have recommended keeping her on a tether then so as not to shoot over her at that early age.

I am open to suggestions and help.

Will probably, this or next month, shoot a coyote so as to let the hide dry out for training.

Why would you encourage a dog to sit by you? That’s like asking a race horse to stop and back up like a calf roping horse. If the dog isn’t old enough, or mature enough to be on a coyote stand without a leash wait until it is.

You’re basically taking an animal you want to run out to a coyote coming in to the call and tying it up and not letting it. And all you’re going to get in November is coyotes seeing the dogs and running off never to be seen again. AND a trapped or injured coyote is the most dangerous thing your dog will ever encounter. Personally, I don’t take a dog until it’s at least 8 months old. BUT if the guys that are telling you to tie it up and to put a 6 month old dog on a trapped coyote have the type of dogs you want to have, then by all means, do it.

Find someone that has proven dogs and pay attention to what they say/do because if it’s like it was 12 years ago there are plenty of people with advice that are only making assumptions and most of them have never even had a dog. What they think might work rarely does. As far as the collar training goes, there’s not a dog alive that you can’t tone train with two hot dog weenees and about 10 minutes.

Back