new mini 14

buzz your mistaken, .2 is a lil less than a quarter inch, a good many rifles will do this, the BR crowd doesn't get shook up till your below .1.
The 6 ppc's parent case is a 7.62x39 they make AR's in that caliber so you can get mags. As a matter of fact model 1 sales sells uppers in 6ppc.

RR

Last edited:
Quote:
You're right. The Mini would "probably" make a great calling rifle.......inside 100 yards. I wouldn't want to push my luck outside that distance.

Although I personally think the Ruger minis are garbage(no offense to anybody), I don't think it's quite fair to claim that a 2MOA rifle is only good "inside 100 yds" A 2MOA rifle will still outshoot any man here laying on the ground shooting at a coyote from a set of crossed sticks at 300 yds.

In my personal opinion, it's silly to demand 1/2MOA accuracy from a rifle that's sole purpose is to hunt predators.

Nobody will ever make a bench-quality rifle out of an AR, so why would it matter if that AR shoots .500" or 1.25"? It sure doesn't make it any easier to kill that coyote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

BTW, that was a ball-busting....
I won't own a rifle that wont shoot MOA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have had three or four mini's over the years even had one in 7.62x35 or what ever that commie round is operative word in this post is HAD. None were reliable to shoot under three inches, and I even found it hard to get minute of coyote if the target was running. I can and do hit running yotes with bolt actions and with lever actions so i don't think it was me. If the new target gun is a better shooter than the other mini's great I am sure some one will find they like them but for me I tried and I am done with them.

Quote:
hylander, I know that you've listed your mods before but could you enlighten us again on what you did to your mini?

Here is what I did:
Bedded the action: Acraglass jell $20.00
Muzzle Brake: $5.00 special
Barrel Strut: $35.00
Smaller gas bushing: $10.00
Recoil Buffer: $10.00
Trigger job: 2.5lb and crisp $45.00
Total on Mods = $125.00
I did everything except trigger job.

hicker,

I agree with you to a point, but alleviating the variables with a gun at the bench makes a big difference regarding shooter error and field conditions. Especially at longer ranges that some shoot.
A 2 MOA gun at 100yds. can only be relied upon at a very limited range, considering all the variables. For instance, shooting a fox with a smaller target area, using a gun like that, wouldn't leave much room for error, especially if there were any distance involved.

Personally, with any gun, I try and get as tight a grouping as I can out of it using handloads, and for some, I understand that this isn't an option. If I can't attain a decent group, I try looking at other variables that could contribute to the gun's inaccuracy and fix them (or sell the gun).

I had a Mini several years back, and with good handloads, some slight trigger and action work, I was able to maintain a 3/4" group average. I guess that was okay for the most part. It wasn't a tack driver to speak of, but it was acceptable for it's intended usage. It's long gone, but not because it didn't shoot well. Just a deal I couldn't refuse probably......
The majority of Mini 14's, right out of the box, are notoriously poor shooter's....I'd think that Ruger should take notice on that one....but over the years they apparently never had.

I guess my point is that getting a gun to shoot the tightest possible groups over the bench, really buys you some more insurance in the field when it comes to wind, poor shooting positions, or any other variables that one might encounter.
I don't think I'd obsess over it all. Just work at getting the best possible result from a particular gun, and realizing it when I reach it.

Just me...........

Take care,
Bob

I have a mini built by ASI and it will shoot with both my AR's. Shooting the White box winchester 45gr. it will shoot consistant .75" 10 shot groups. But then again this rifle cost me over $1500.00
[image]
mini14.jpg
[/image]

ridge runner - i had ARS rebarrel my mini years ago too. mine is in 6x45 and will hold about .75. that old guy was a machinest 1st class. his thoughts were that the barrel had to be turned down really slow so as not to stress out the steel. Can't argue with success. but it does prove that the mini's problem lies in the barrel.

last time I really looked into it, ruger had an average of $4.25 in they're rifle barrels, any wonder they won't shoot?
same as AR's the secret to accuracy is in a good barrel, problem is only a very few outfits have got into the mini-14's to the extent of offering match grade barrels.
RR

RandyDB that is a beauty!!! I'd like less drop at the comb and a flatter pistol grip, LOL, but I love that rifle.
$1.500.00 crap, its easy to spend that on a rifle. I dont see that as a big deal.
Tell me more, can a guy buy one??
Carl

I had ASI accurize my mini a few years back. I live in CA so I can't have an AR. It's no tack driver, however I have shot dogs at 100, 200, and 300. I've also shot rabbits at 400 all day. Of course, I'm into mine around $1500 also. But it'll shoot without fail.

PICT0002.jpg

You can legally have an AR in CA, it just has to be the fixed mag version. Harder to reload but it has a 10 round mag so you do not need to reload very often.

Jack

Quote:
Quote:
hylander, I know that you've listed your mods before but could you enlighten us again on what you did to your mini?

Here is what I did:
Total on Mods = $125.00

Where did you get your barrel strut? Is that an Accustrut?

You have rejuvinated my interest in the mini. If nothing else for a project of sorts.

Mike

Thanks Randy, I sent them an email.
Handgunner, I agree with you and love accurate rifles, but I consider a "calling rifle" one that will shoot the expected game at 200 yards or less. I personally prefer and use rifles that are much more accurate, but for the above use a 2MOA will work.
I wish I had your old Mini that shot 3/4". I had an old mini that shot about 2inch, heck wish I had it, I could send it to ASI.LOL
I always look at those attractive semi autos then grab another bolt gun, stuck in a rut I guess!
Carl

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here is what I did:
Total on Mods = $125.00

Where did you get your barrel strut? Is that an Accustrut?

You have rejuvinated my interest in the mini. If nothing else for a project of sorts.

Mike

It is a copy of K-Kina's original Idea for the Accustrut.
It makes world of differance in POI between different
ammo weights and generally cuts groups by half or nearly half. Most rifles I have seen that shot around a 3in group without the Strut usually will shoot under 2" in groups or better.

Okay, this is my opinion of the gun. I think Ruger is way off target in appealing to to the average mini shooter. I did say average so dont get your feathers ruffled. Most of these guns are purchased for their ergonomics, size and handling characteristics. What mini shooters have longed for year after year after year is a better barrel period. Get rid of the .560 , nato chambered, heat sensative soda straw. They want a little more stress relieved beef, a little tighter chambering and better gas block securement so POI doesnt change as the op rod creates barrel stress when it slams against the gas block.
The author states that it doesnt balance well off hand, is at home on a sand bag and then calls the 10 lb monster a good coyotee rifle. He also states that groups opened up over 3/4 inch without the 11.5 oz weight on the muzzle. A barrel weight is nothing new, the boys at perfect union figured that out years ago. When looking at the picture it is obvious that it is not a true Hbar. It is heavy on the muzzle end, reduced at the gas block and maybe uses the same .560 gas block. Take a straght edge, lay it along the top of the barrel in the photo. Now look through the spaces in the hand guard and it shows that the barrel continues its much reduced diameter.
I believe Ruger would be better off if they tried to appeal to a majority customer base. But thats just one mans opinion.

Junkie

Back