Need a new hunting knife.

Knives of Alaska Bushcamp
https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=22

Roselli 5" Leuku
http://www.ragweedforge.com/r151.jpg

http://www.ragweedforge.com/RoselliCatalog.html any of these are pretty good. My dad has I think 4 of these and I have seen/used these in about most normal hunting/field dressing situations from birds to varmints to big game. Worth EVERY dime you spend and can be sharped to scalpel like sharpness.

I use both of these for big game/bushcraft/camp chores. I have also field dressed 10+ deer with a $10 Rapala fillet knife. Not ideal, but even my Fiskars hatchet has done a couple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMCoyoteHunter01Cheap and Chinese gets the job done especially for this knife.

Chit's good if ya like it.

5cr13 steel is crap.

Little hint about Chinkwanese steel. If it doesn't start with an "8" or "9", it isn't worth a chit. And even they aren't great....

Originally Posted By: NMCoyoteHunter01Cheap and Chinese gets the job done especially for this knife.

Doesn't make sense, especially now inexpensive you can get a decent American made knife. Better materials, better longevity, and made in the USA. I don't see the allure of the China crap.

I really like the case and kabar skinners and hunters with stacked leather handles.
Here's a large Bowie that I just got. It's a little big for me but still like it.

Here's a little case small game knife that has worked well on everything from squirrels to deer.

These knives won't break the bank, and it doesn't hurt that bad when they get scuffed up.

Last edited:
I carry two knives. A Wyoming knife And a Havalon Piranta Bolt. I can open up a deer in seconds with the Wyoming knife and everything else is done with bolt.

I have several knives that get used.

A Buck 119, Cold Steel Master Hunter, Knives of Alaska caping knife, that Whiteail Skinner. Couple of folding saws with both wood (for trimming shooting lanes & such) and bone blades for game.

I tend to like solid knives with good steel, real blades vs disposable types. But then I'm willing to take time once in a while to sharpen them, something not everyone wants to do. I can see the disposable blades being very attractive for people who want the convenience.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish I can see the disposable blades being very attractive for people who want the convenience.

Agreed ^^^

Those scalpel blades don't have much soul, and I don't carry one in the field, but they sure are handy in the fur shed.

Lots of good US made knives out there that fill everyone's wants, budget's, and needs but for the life of me,,, with all the cheap disposable Chinaland crap we're force fed on a daily basis,,, I can't see why anyone would even consider one of their cheapazz knives.

Originally Posted By: RePete
Stu Farish said:
Lots of good US made knives out there that fill everyone's wants, budget's, and needs but for the life of me,,, with all the cheap disposable Chinaland crap we're force fed on a daily basis,,, I can't see why anyone would even consider one of their cheapazz knives.

You can add me to that list. Bear and sons, buck, and case all make knives in the same price range as the china made junk. I really don't get the advantage of buying the Chinese cheapos.

I have switched to the outdoor edge replacement blade.. it's a little thicker and it lasts. I can touch up the blades, and the replacement is cheaper.

I also got a Gerber gutting curve.
http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/gerber-metolius-ez-open-guthook-knife/
I got this from Cabela's a few years ago for $12 it's a bit more now, but i have used this for years and will say that it's one knife that i don't leave on a hunting trip without.
I do the initial cuts, and then use this to open up or do the fur skinning, it's easy to follow the color lines, or open a big game animal like a zipper without getting fur or hair in the cuts. The knife stays very sharp. and makes opening anything up to skin a lot easier.
I also have a swing blaze too.. I like that same curved blade also, but this might be cheaper.

i have been watching a guy from Canada that is a trappper and watching what he does for putting up his Coyotes and hides in general.
I figure if you want to learn watch someone that does it a lot.. To me someone that puts up 200 coyotes a year might have an idea on what is the best gear to use that is also cost effective and just works.

He suggested a certain knife.. I looked it up and for under $10.. WHy not give it a try see what he is talking about. I got the knife, and wished i had ordered 5 more. Right out of the box it was so sharp that the old arm hair test was easier than the new blades in the replacement blade knife.

It took off a swath of hair on my arm better than a new Mach 3 razor would.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craftline...fe+with+Sandvik

I thought so too, just bacause, in my house there is a list on a white board that we just write things on as we think about them. Then when i have time, Since i work at home 2 or 3 days a week, I will go do some research, and batch order things. and then cirlce everything i ordered and when it all shows up, i cross them off the list.

After a week of hunting with my daughter, i saw the need for a few things. Like heat packs for her feet.. I got some advice from someone that said don't try and get insulated boots for kids. They are to hot the rest of the year, and if its really cold just get a pair of SNow boots for that from walmart, otherwise just use some heat packs. (good advice) I also wear less layers than her so that I will get cold before her.

I know the true test of a knife is not the day you get it out of the box, but the day you skin out the 10th coyote and is it still sharp? Then how does it do when you resharpen it.
I have a worksharp station and it gets them really sharp again in seconds. But If i was going to do it again, i would get the same thing but there is another version that has some guys name on it.
Its a little more expensive, but also has more options for belts and that is where i figured out that i went wrong..
It's the belts.. THe regular version is really 330gr and then the next step is 6000gr, huge jump. The Orion version (or something like that) has 5 steps of belts and they don't fit on the other version (i tried).

I will try and update the post after 10 coyotes, but for under $10 why not??

I was turned on to those knives by my buddy who teaches survival classes. They are primarily woodworking knives, but do excellent for survival and skinning. They rust pretty good, but other than that they are excellent.

They will rust if you let them get wet and don't coat them..
I give mine a coat of Pam cooking spray..

It's easy, i wipe of the extra, and it keeps the fat from sticking to the blade as well as keeping it from rusting.

You could use olive or veggie oil if you wanted.

Back