My first predator!

BoonDoc

This was my first year predator hunting and after a lot of cold nights with nothing I finally connected. I called in a red fox a few weeks ago and missed at about 125yds (I shot at him as soon as I saw him....I know rookie mistake!). I'm not sure if this is the same guy or not, but I saw him at around 200yds and this time sat patiently until he was around 60-70yds and broadside. He dropped immediately with the 50gr Vmax from my 22-250. I was in disbelief until I finally walked up on him. He is a big male who apparently was in a fight at some point as he has a scar at the corner of his Lt eye. I'm very happy to say the least. I have 2 more days to try to connect with a Bobcat before the season ends.

DSC00889_zps8de8cb7e.jpg

DSC00894_zps0d43d758.jpg

Last edited:
Good job BoonDoc,
Now you're hooked. It will get a lot easier now that you know what brought that one in. I'm guessing you didn't show his other side because there probably is a big exit hole in him. I know my .223 blows up fox but good on coyotes. My 22.250 would really blow them up. Am I correct or not. Just wondering, not being smart. Pete

No actually it didn't make a big hole at all. I would say smaller than a dime exit hole. I couldn't even find the entrance hole. I was afraid of a big hole too! I'm actually going to get it mounted since it is my first. I have some 40 gr Vmax I want to load up. I would love to make it so there is no exit hole. I have a 223 but it is an AR so I can't use it for hunting.

Last edited:
Congrats! I have the same call you show in your picture. What sound did you use? I've gotten a couple greys but have yet to get a red. Good luck hunting! In sure you will get that cat before the seasons up!

Now you guys have me wanting to buy a 17 remington or 17 fireball! When I bought my 22-250 I thought it would be a good all around gun. Around here there are definitely more fox than coyotes so maybe the more fur friendly 17 is the way to go? I feel very lucky my first fox didn't explode! LOL!

In all honesty...I have actually shot the 40gr vmax through an aluminum rail (don't ask!) and it too made only a pinky sized hole through it. I don't know why others are getting such different results? I am seriously considering a 17 though as well, however, they are so expensive right now. I would like to get just the remington 700 sps stainless 17 fireball, but I can't find one to save my life. There is a Remington limited edition 17 fireball on gunbroker that is over $1500 and going up. Too rich for occasional fox hunting in my opinion!

Try using the search engine at the top of the page on different loads for your rifle. I just loaded a 52 gr. Speer hollow point the guys suggested for my 222. Now I need to try it out. Congrats on your first. Now your hooked! Mick

Back