MN February moon calling reports.

The Savage strikes again. All ya do is pull the trigger and the heat seeking bullet does the rest. Went out tonight with Leaddog. Called in 4 animals for 4 sets. Though Leaddog did not get his first, he did fire the gun, and I hope he had fun. Heres a picture of my double. Had a pair come in and shot one (125yds)...kept calling and had #3 come in from a totaly different area. He got whacked (190yds). More details when I wake up..

Made 4 sets last night.

1st set nothing.

2nd set. Started with rabbit distress. About maybe 7 mins into that sound leaddog had a fox staring him down at about 50yds. We both saw it at the same time. He turned to get into shooting position and the thing started to quarter towards us. Then we could'nt get the thing to stop and now it's on my side and I could'nt stop it either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif. Now it's on a trot only about 35yds from me broadside. I figure I should be able to hit it on the move, But I figured wrong..BANG-NOTHING. Now it's on a full run. Leaddog shoots and I shoot but we both miss. On the way back to the truck we bumped into either another fox or the same one. It did stop at about maybe 175yds broadside to take one last look and leadog was on it. Well the dang thing took a step right before he shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. It would have been a darn tough shot anyways at a fox at that distance. ecspecially while standing.

3rd set. Started with the rabbit distress again. About 6-7 mins in I picked out a coyote. Got it in the scope and at 125yds it stepped into the wide open. Good enough, BANG-DEAD. Then I noticed another coyote run into the cover quick. So I tried to call it back with whimpers and some howls that resemble a confused coyote. I threw in some mating chirps too. About 5 more minutes of that, I see ANOTHER coyote standing in a completely different area. I turned my rifle and started to lip sqweek. Then it starts the downwind circle and is quartering towards us. Then it stops at 190yds exactly and A thought about last nights hunt began to haunt me (ya know, the one that got away). I had him dead to rights in my cross hairs and waited only a few seconds...BANG-SLAP! I continued to call but not for long. As we drug the two yotes out, The servivor of the first pair gave a couple short warning barks and howls from deeeeep in the woods.

4th set. Another owl succesfuly scared the b'jesus out of me. But that was it.

Thats the first time in MN that I had any success calling in another coyote after fireing my gun on stand. Sweet!

Todd Stein went out last night too and called in 3 coyotes.
Another couple of predator callers I know went out last night too. Last I talked to them they had no visitors for 2 sets.It's gonna be unbearably cold this weekend as far as I know. I think I'll put my feet up. Good luck if you go.

Last edited:
Phil you are an animal. I hope they don't put the Wright county yotes on the endangered list /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I tried two sets last night saw an owl, and some deer, that was it. I am heading out to Western MN tomorrow afternoon for the evening. I have a full night of spots lined up and they should be pretty prime, I just hope it is bright enough there isn't much snow there. I had a buddy tell me this morning that he has some behind his house, 3 of the last 4 nights. HE has a pile of fish guts and table scraps back there, and evidently they don't like the neighbors dog so they sit a 100 yads away from his house and bark at his neighbors dog. He is gonna check with his neighbor and we might give them a shout tonight. Great posts. Hopefully I will have something to write about soon.

JP

Very cool. I was chomping at the bit to go out last night after the sky cleared up, but just came home from a week long calling trip in Kansas and need to spend time with the wife. I believe my partner and I will be going out tonight and this weekend.

Not too often you get snow, full moon, clear sky, and moderate wind all on the same night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony

The pictrue's look great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif,, That there is a older yote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...Hey Phil what is the weight on that old Boy????????

WTG Nice job guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I am hoping to get my first "called in coyote" tomarrow night. I can put up with the cold, if it is not too windy.
Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
-Ron

Called 3 spots last night and no takers. Freakin wind was really blowing. Did hear a coule of coons fighting in a hollow tree, so that was kind of interesting. It would be nice just once this season to have a calmer night. Seems like every time I have been out at night the wind is blowing. That makes 0 for 12 for me. Hopefully the wind will take a break at least one night this weekend.

Phil you cause a 15 mph wind when you walk that lasts for at least 10 minutes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif With my record this year I think it is a lesson learned.

Quote:
Phil you cause a 15 mph wind when you walk that lasts for at least 10 minutes.

Anyone else wanna get in on the "Phil's daddy long legs are hard to keep up with" Jokes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif? I've heard it all by now but am trying to learn to walk slower. Sometimes I get excited and forget though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif...This is a funny subject to me and I can handle it so giver heck.

I can keep up with them deer legs that u got Phil however i have to eat and drink alot before going hunting with u Phil Lessen learned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif......But some one that has short legs or walks slow go hunt with phil u can get a good work out with the way walks/runs!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But it is always a good time hunting with u thats for sure.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The thing that cracks me us is that people always try to keep up to the fast guy. I learned a long time ago to go at my own pace and the guy who walks faster won't typically start calling while I'm still walking up to the stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quote:
I learned a long time ago to go at my own pace and the guy who walks faster won't typically start calling while I'm still walking up to the stand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PERFECTLY STATED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

This past wed. I meet Phil for the frist time.The four sets that we made I was behind him about ten yards. Phil's long legs are best for seeing over the next rise so I do not have to walk to far.Long legs are not good for owl attacks.ask Phil.

Back