March a tough month?

^^^I think part of that is East vs. West. My buddy in Kan. doesn't get near the vocal response that I do out here. I think it has to do with coyote density as much as anything else. IDK, just a guess.

Last Sunday was probably my last outing for the season. Called in 7, 3 pair and a single female, and of those only two pairs vocally responded before coming. It was pretty wide-open country and I got to watch em come from a ways out. Love that part of calling out here too.
The first pair that I called in I actually spotted and watched and guessed where they were headed and then I adjusted my plans accordingly. I thought they were going to bed in a mile long x 1/4 wide CRP patch. So I walked to the far end of it to get the wind in my favor. When I started howling, they popped out of a draw almost 3/4 mile away out in the middle of a winter wheat field and started my way. They had traveled right on through the CRP. I knew it was the same pair because her name was Bobby which I had noticed while watching them earlier. Missed the male at 450 when he finally stopped to look back.
IMG_20230326_085321214_HDR by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Then I walked back to the other end of the CRP and called in a single female that was in some wheat stubble 1/2 mile away. Started with howls which got her coming my way and then used some estrous chirps to get her to finish. Was fun watching her come across this wide-open pasture.
IMG_20230326_095757854_HDR by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Then after lunch I got one to howl but I could barely hear her. Ended up moving about 1000 yards closer and got the pair to sound off to my howls and then some estrous chirps got them to come. Male wasn't sold on the set up and hung back and never offered a shot. Again got to watch these come for 1000 yards.
IMG_20230326_141838172_HDR by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Then on what I decided would be my last stand of the season I got lucky and got set up just 600 yards from a pair. They vocally responded and I got them spotted and then I switched to pair howl which really got under their skin. They stopped and scratched and pissed several times on the way in. They both came side by side, and they almost died the same way.
IMG_20230326_171906139 by Tim Richard, on Flickr

Only did 8 stands that day. Was on stand about avg. of 25 minutes.

Way to go! Enjoyed the ride, would love to hunt some open country like that for a change; thanks for posting.

Regards,
hm

I 2nd hm1996. Very few places back here can I see 200yds let alone 1000. I guess 1000 is not out of the question on some I-79,70 or 68 straight stretches-tehe.

Back