Make up my mind :)

rt2bowhunter

I have a RRA lower match trigger coming. Now i need a upper more than likely it will be a RRA either a 16" or 20" coyote.

Most of my hunting will be in Wv and Ohio thick cover to open woods to open fields with the possibility of shooting several 100 yds.

My two main concerns are weight and noise. Will the 16" be way louder to the point i must wear ear protection. I had a 22 250 from bullberry on a encore 18" with a muzzle break. I shot it once without ear protection and sent it back to have the break cut off.

I see a lot of guys running 16" tubes do you wear ear plugs hunting?

And i worry that yote will show itself at 300yds and i wish i had the 20".

Also the rifle will likely see duty as a hog gun and hard to tell what else
smile.gif

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:
In thick cover you will want the 16" for better maneuverability. 300 yards is no problem for a 16". No rifle without a suppressor is quiet enough to not wear hearing protection while hunting! You are just causing permanent damage. Buy some $15 Surefire ear plugs or fork over a little more for some electronic muffs. That way the noise isn't a problem and you can get the lighter, shorter upper.

If its cold out and your wearing a watch cap or something to keep your ears warm, i wouldnt worry about ear protection. I wear earplugs at the range, but i think while you are hunting you want to be able to hear stuff. like the coyote coming up on your rear! I hunt with my Carbine length AR all the time, and i shot this coyote while hog hunting in a box blind. I have a set of Howard Leight impact sports coming in the mail, but i dont worry about the couple of shots i might make while hunting. The ability to hear things is more important in my book.

comanchethanksgiving2013090_zps8cb0b9a5.jpg

Also, it depends on how your gonna hunt them. If your gonna hunt from a vehicle, you might be ok with the 20" upper, but the 16" is gonna get the job done most of the time, and not be a pain to walk with. Just my opinion, its all up to you!

Thanks guys
The lighter 16" is very appealing. I always wear hearing protection at the range but never hunting.
I'm still tossing it around.

Quote:I always wear hearing protection at the range but never hunting. I'm still tossing it around....Toss around a little experience of mine..I've been shooting .22s since age six, 12 ga for bird hunting since 12...

I wasn't aware of any hearing damage until I went through my physical for the police department at 21, when they did an extensive hearing test...Since then, it's been constant Tinnitus and I hear a field full of crickets all the time...Now, I wear custom injected ear plugs, covered by electronic ear muffs when around more than my firearm, such as at a range, and electronics when I'm hunting...Once you damage your hearing (and it only takes that one shot) there is no cure...

Yea i know I'm 54 and been shooting my hole life.And yea i have some hearing loss. But hunting with ear plugs ain't happening. I can't imagine running rabbit dogs rabbit hunting with ear plugs. Or jump flushing grouse. Or squirrel hunting and not hearing one bark. Or hearing a fox or yote bark at the call. In my book thats just not part of the plan
smile.gif
. And turkey hunting who wears plugs for that.

The purpose of this post was to find out. If hearing protection is a must for the 16" (for hunting)if so then the 20" is no brainer.

Just like the 22 250 i had a 357 8" barrel smith. I shot it once without ear plugs and traded it off. Nice pistol fun to shoot but worthless to me as a hunter.

I just don't want to lay down the cash and not be happy.
I see a bunch of pics of 16" guns are all those guys hunting with plugs in there ears.

^^^^^*^* Yes it's a must for a 16, 20 or 30" barrel unless you want hearing aids hanging out of your ears all the time. And yelling "WHAT, WHAT, WHAT" to your grand kids.

With all the new technology available get some Pro Ears or Game Ears or some kind of electronic muff that allows you to keep your hearing intact and still hear game in the field.

My friend has been using the electronic hearing muffs while hunting and has said he won't go back to hunting without them. He can hear movement and sounds that he couldn't have heard even if he had good hearing. He also said he could actually hear the bullet in flight when shooting long distance. The only downside he says is after wearing them a bit he will sweat a bit. Nothing a handkerchief can't handle.

I will be getting a set from Santa this year.

I am running Levang Linear Comp. on all my 16" barrels. It directs the muzzle blast away from the shooter. I was able to tell a difference compared to a regular flash hider.

Originally Posted By: mysticalflightI am running Levang Linear Comp. on all my 16" barrels. It directs the muzzle blast away from the shooter. I was able to tell a difference compared to a regular flash hider.
I have been looking at a Linear comp. I'm leaning toward one plus a 20" barrel.

After doing a bunch of reading i ordered some Electronic ear muffs last night. We will see how i like them. I have a heavy custom 204 AI built on a Rem 700 and a 6x284 so my long range bases are covered.
I really need a lightweight gun to hunt some thick stuff and open woods.
Now do i get the 16" RRA Coyote or 16" PP.

I had a 20" coyote and really liked it, I didn't feel like it was accurate enough and sold it, I had another one built that fit the bill. Either one of the RR uppers are great, I kind of like the looks of the PP as well, the 16's are handy but very loud.

I gotta pile on and say don't shoot anything without ear protection, I HAVE to wear electronic muffs now to be able to hear a caller sitting 10 yards away. Nothing can be done now to fix the problem and the constant scream of tinnitus is almost unbearable at times.

Check out tactiko arms I just received a 20" upper in 204r with a shilen barrel he is a super guy to deal with when he says it's going to be done it will be done by then. He has all the parts on hand I called him told him what I wanted and he said he'd have it put together and in the mail by the end of the day and three days later it was at my door. And he is very reasonably priced too $495.

Last edited:
Thanks to open header race cars and shooting unprotected for 40 years my hearing is a thing of the past. I get most aggravated watching tv and not understanding probably 50% of what the actors are saying. Use protection NOW before it's too late because once gone hearing doesn't come back. I use electronic muffs when hunting and can actually hear much better with them on. Sometimes a pain but well worth it. It's hard to put a price on your hearing.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtle
Once you damage your hearing (and it only takes that one shot) there is no cure...

Yep. Same here. Sounds like smoke detectors going off all them time, and I need hearing aids to hear right, which I almost never where because they are a PITA and won't tune right. I was in the navy and had my share of noise, and was even electrocuted, but one time I was next to a break and got slammed. That ringing never stopped. It gets louder and quieter depending on diet, coffee, booze, and other environmental factors, but it's no picnic. The only way I can sleep right now is to use something that makes noise and drowns out the tinnitus, otherwise the silence is deafening and drives me nuts.

Protect your ears. I'm only 45 and have been dealing with this for almost 15 years. No fun and you don't have to be an old fart to have this happen.

I just visited the Audiologist at the VA clinic yesterday, and discussed electronic muffs with her. She strongly recommended that I NOT use them! According to what she said, the noise impulse of different firearms is different enough that one earmuff with one setting cannot protect you from everything. What it doesn't protect you from it amplifies, causing more hearing loss!

She also said that wearing electronic muffs around other types of noises - vehicle engines, air tools, etc., is essentially worse than no protection, for the same reason! My hearing is pretty well shot after 40+ years exposure to tank engines, maintenance shop noises, and gunfire (artillery, tanks, and small arms), that I'm trying desperately to save what little hearing I have left.

At any rate, the Audiologist talked me out of buying a set of electronic muffs!

Mine came today I wore them outside and in the house some. I can see where the Audiologist is coming from. If i turn them up cars going down the road are loud as are other things. I never shot with them but they make a bang when they hit the stock of my rifle. And i got the slim ones thats for shooting/Hunting.So i'm not sold on them. But i guess the test will be when i shoot a rifle.

Originally Posted By: rt2bowhunter I really need a lightweight gun to hunt some thick stuff and open woods.
Now do i get the 16" RRA Coyote or 16" PP.

I like the Predator Pursuit with no muzzle break at all. I hate MB's and flash hiders etc. The have no purpose on a hunting rifle.

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

After doing a lot of reading and thinking. I ordered a 20" Stainless Steel Shilen Service Rifle Contour Barrel from Tactko Arms.Chris said it would ship out tomorrow morning.

Back