Magpies.

RAZORBACK

I have been wondering(uhoh). Quite often while out calling, Magpies will dog the coyotes as they are coming in. This allows me to get set up in the right direction long before I actually see the coyote. We often use a crow call in conjunction with a rabbit in distress and have had great results. I wonder if a magpie call used w/a rabbit would help put a coyote at ease, especially a leary one? If anyone out there makes a magpie call, preferably a hand call, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Razorback,

Good idea. The magpie sound would probably make a coyote even more anxious to come in. I know I always like to see magpies flying in when I am calling. I don't have a elec. caller but if you had a recording of magpie's squawking as a background sound when you are blowing on the handcall that might be a good combination.

I wish I could help you but I don't know of anyone who makes a magpie hand call. With a little work a guy could probably make his own recording in the field of magpie talk. Good luck to you on finding the call let us know if you turn anything up.

------------------

Lonny, Thanks for the ideas. There seem to be a few guys on here that make calls. I figure I can't be the first one thats thought of this. Maybe one of the guys on these boards that make hand calls have made some. I haven't a clue as how to make a reed make the sounds it's supposed to, or I would give it a try. Maybe too that the magpie sound is too complex for a mouth call? I don't know. How about some input from some of the call makers themselves?

RAZORBACK,
I havn't heard a magpie since I was a young boy, and have forgotten what they even sound like. If I could find a recording of a magpie, then I may be able to make a call which would reproduce the sound.

Thanks Rich, I don't know exactly how I'm gonna get some magpie sounds on tape, as I don't have any recording equipment. But when I do, I will send it to you.

While reading this post, I've been around, but I have never had a magpie respond in the way described. Had he said "Ravens" I could relate, but anyway, this gives me a chance to tell a magpie story from a couple years ago.

This was just a coyote that had come in with another, but when his friend went down, he lit out at warp speed. Fortunately for me, he picked a straight line, and I made a spectacular shot that rolled him. The problem was that he disapeared in the grass. My partner wandered all over the place, zigzaging back and forth between two-fifty and four-fifty, when I shouted out there that he should go over to where those two magpies had landed right after the shot. (duh) Yeah, it took me that long to figure it out. They had let my buddy track all over out there, and hardly looked up. The funny part was that they must have been shadowing those coyotes the whole time, but we just never paid attention.

Good hunting. LB

Rich, with your permission, I can send you some calls of the Magpie in wav format. Let me know...

[This message has been edited by Big Jerk (edited 12-17-2001).]

Big Jerk,
Go ahead and send the magpie sound wav's. Hey, maybe your not such a big "jerk" after all.
smile.gif

According to the warden....I am...and forever will be....a Big Jerk..
biggrin.gif

Rich...email me an address, your profile either needs to be updated or I'm also an idiot in addition to being a Big Jerk.

[This message has been edited by Big Jerk (edited 12-17-2001).]

Rich, I found a magpie sound at a web site called guide to animal sounds. When you get there scroll to Birds. Click on bird sounds index 2. Scroll to Crows. The magpie sound is in the crow section. It doesn't take very long to load the sound. The sound is not all that long either. Maybe it will help.

I have had magpies follow coyotes in several times enough that i pay close attention to them. What i find is that if the come as soon as you start to call they are just comeing to the sound if they come later or take there time comeing in there is a good chance that they are following a magpie.

I to would like to get a hold of a magpie tape i think that it would be a good addition at a stand.

Back