Lion season in Oklahoma?

WOW BIG thanks ryanH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):):)

ok so I have to wait till jan 1 before I can go after my local prediator?

I would just like to point out that all of these issues has to go through the public hearing process as well as a multitude of other processes before they become laws. As was stated earlier in this thread, get to the public hearings and vote.
If the ODWC did not do there NEPA and other study work correctly these seasons could be tied up in court by HSUS for a very long time. We currently have at least one refuge under fire for opening seasons on a refuge that may have to go back and redo all of it's study info before hunting can be reopened. I know that the black bear study has been going on for a long time and should be finished by now. The river otter still has at least one more year in the study. I am not aware that a mountain lion study has even been started. Of course that may not be necessary if the ODWC has been putting the lions in Oklahoma, I guess they would know how many are here then wouldn't they? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I am 50 years old and have lived in Okla all my life.W hen I was a kid I was checking cattle on horseback about 150 days a year.Occasionaly ,maybe 2 or 3 times a year we would see a mountain lion.Tried to tell a game warden and he argued and told us we were seein bobcats.Dad told me not to talk about it any more.Dad also saw them sometimes,and he had cowboyed in Colorado as a young man and seen them up there.Last 1 I saw was last year in January and could see the Tulsa skyline at the same time.But I guess there aint none in my parts.

Removing ML as a species of special concern doesn't seem to make any sense--having them listed more than likely channels funds into studying them. If indeed OK has a population viable enough to withstand some amount of hunting pressure, wouldn't it be preferable to bring that bit of science to the table when argueing to get a season established? Unless, of course, this a ML eradication/extermination effort (or is it just a political feel-good measure with no hope of passage?)

LionHo

My wife saw one in June, and my son, and I saw one in the same area back in November. It is crossing through my deer lease close to my house. Two of my neighbors have also seen one lately. I have been calling bobcats since the late 1960's, and I know the difference between them, and mountain lions. My son works on a goat ranch a mile from my house, and they lose goats to these cats all the time. The owner has asked me recently to come hunt them on his ranch. I guess it's gonna take losing a child, or an elderly person before the ODWC wises up to the fact that they are here, and we do need to open a season on them.

Just this week in Alva, there were reports of one being spotted inside the city limits.

I know they are around here; I saw one a few years back while white tail hunting. That was after I stumbled upon a freshly attacked and killed deer carcass.

Hunting out here, I always have that in the back of my mind and I have always said I will pay the price legally b/c I'm dang sure gonna shoot it before it decides to use me as a snack.

I am glad to see the legislature making room for mountain lion season. I am glad that I might be able to legally kill one if it comes right down to it.

I think the ODWC is finally startign to get on the ball,I just wish they would open up nighthunting on nucence species,before we are over run.

Dang i was excited when i started reading this post.... I want to hunt lions real bad, I wish nebraska would open up a limited season, I'd be the first guy out. Having an open season on them only if theres causing trouble is crap... Anyone would shoot one if it was trying to kill them even without a season... I think this is just a cop out. I wish nebraska would open up, I know there here i've seen them with my own eyes, but of course just like you guys they say there are none even thou they've been shot im omaha and Sioux city IN TOWN! Someday!

I am told these pics (I'll post as soon as I can figure out how) were taken by a guy in Watonga. Apparently the lion was just outside, watching this guy's kids play on the floor in their kitchen.

And we think we'll have to hunt them - I suppose if we wait long enough they'll just show up on our doorstep.

Last edited:
Those pictures have been on here before. They were taken in Wyoming in January, 2004. They are currently making the rounds as a hoax in several states.

I guess that's why I typically delete email like that without even reading it. I'll be sure to pass that on to my supposed to be reliable source.

So, does anyone have photos of any in Oklahoma?

I sure hope they'd open up a bear season. I was on a draw hunt with my dad a few years ago and we saw two in one day!(remember, this is in OK) The first was when we were taking a walking break looking over a bowl. A doe came running out of nowhere from around behind the edge of this bowl, ran through the middle of the bowl, and ran up to the top lip of this bowl not but 50-60 yards from us and continued on.. About 20 seconds later a beautiful black bear ran up the same spot, obviously in pursuit of the doe as a meal. My dad and I guestimatedd it to weigh about 200lbs. This all took place in the morning. In the evening we left our spot a little early to get back to the truck before total darkness because we wanted to check out some more of the land and we were going to be going through some thick stuff. We had about 200 yards to go through the last of this thicket before we arived to our truck on the road, but just as we came up over a hill there was a MASSIVE bear(for a black bear at least) pawing at the ground not but 75 yards away. We told the guy running the hunt about our experiences and he told he's seen the big bruin before and guesses him to weigh between 450 and 500 lbs. This all took place in Pushmataha for those Okies who were wondering.

Kind of forgot about this thread. Here's the new lion regulations:

MOUNTAIN LION

License Requirements

Residents & Nonresidents: A hunting license and a fishing & hunting legacy permit or proof of exemption.

Dates & Open Areas

Mountain lions can be taken year-round when committing or about to commit depredation or when deemed a nuisance, safety or health hazard.

You must immediately call a game warden or other Department employee if you kill a mountain lion. The carcass (including hide) will be examined by a Department employee within 24 hours for biological data collection, which may include the removal of a tooth.

YUP! It's on page #3 and page #25! Thought it was a misprint when I first saw it. JUST DOUBLE CHECKED IT!

License Requirements A hunting license and a fishing and hunting legacy permit or proof of exemption.

Back