Killed a Black Coyote and a Buck... Lots of PICS.... Graphic

dan brothers

Yesterday was the last day of the SC deer season, and I'm sitting in my treestand in a Cypress Swamp location... waiting on a deer or hog to pass by... and low and behold... a coyote passes through the brush behind me about 70 yds. I got the 243 lined up, but the brush prevented a shot while he went up the hill. I lipped squeaked... no response... I got out my squeaky mouse toy.... nothing again... now he's out of sight... Crap... what kind of coyote hunter am I.... so I get out my Yellow Verminator... and blow blow blow... and again nothing from the hill side. After a couple of mins I hear footsteps behind me... I turn and see this black coyote at 30 yds heading towards my tree... Oh Crap... a Black Coyote...turn and shoot Man... quick..... so I turn... aim... he stops at 9 yds... POW... right on top of the head..OOPS... ruined that skull mount...LOL... brain matter all over the place... but he's mine now. First black coyote I've ever seen... and I called it in...WOW...now I'm a happy camper. After a little dancing in the treestand, I sit down to see what is next... well... about 30 mins later I spot this spike buck coming my way...at about 75 yds I send another 80 gr 243 federal power shock into it's side and he drops like a rock. He's on the ground kicking, but can't get up... then he quits all movement in about 45 secs. WOW again...after another little dance I sit down to go over everything that just happened in the last 30 mins. The Black Coyote was super special... but I'm still shocked that the buck dropped... because he stepped forward on the shot and I hit it mid-body as you can see in the picture...and it still dropped. I've shot ALOT of deer... mostly with 30-06... and they would at least run 30-60 yds on that poor shot placement. I guess I'm still being shocked as to what the 243 can do to a deer... saw some amazing results with it this year.

So two hours later I see nothingelse...so I take a few pictures from my treestand and climb down. After a few more pictures I bone out the deer and carry/drag it to my bicycle. My Son and Family are waiting on the hillside for me... and take a few more pictures. What a Wonderful last day... Gotta Love it.

Sorry about all the pictures... I just got carried away.
GEDC1073.jpg

The coyote is on the ground above the sticks...

GEDC1074.jpg

GEDC1075.jpg

GEDC1076.jpg

Here's a Happy Redneck...Coyote Hunter...

GEDC1077.jpg

The deer is on the ground... can you see it...

GEDC1078.jpg

Brown spot... white belly... didn't know how to mark it in the pic

GEDC1080.jpg

My Gorilla Treestand at ground level... with coyote on the ground
GEDC1082.jpg

GEDC1081.jpg

GEDC1083.jpg

Not sure why these other pictures didn't pull up... maybe too many within a post...?
I ADDED THEM BELOW IN ANOTHER POST...

Last edited:
Well...I guess I can put them here in another post... sorry for the confusion...

GEDC1084.jpg

GEDC1085.jpg

GEDC1086.jpg

GEDC1090.jpg

Opposite side...with bullet fragment...

GEDC1088.jpg

GEDC1091.jpg

GEDC1093.jpg

GEDC1097.jpg

GEDC1098.jpg

GEDC1099.jpg

Last edited:
That is pretty cool... Its nice when all of the planing and preperation comes together... Do you just quarter out your deer like you would an elk and pack it out? What are your plans for the coyote??

Strong Work!!!!

Hello gunner, Congradulations. You don't see a coyote the color black every day. Cool...Makes me want to hit my stands in the cold weather now.
thumbup.gif

Those pics of the loaded bike are awesome, think you could make a device that attached to the front forks and was hit by the spokes to make a distress call.
When we were kids we put plastic or playing cards there to pretend we had dirt bikes. Good times.

That's awesome Dan!

Also, my family and I really appreciated the Christmas gift box from you. Very, very cool of you. Gunner loved it, as well!

Thank you so much!

Tony

Anytime I kill a deer or hog... I always use my dual sided meat sack for boning it out. I take both hind quarters... both front shoulders... both back straps... and both inner fillet strips. After getting it home... I put it in a drained cooler of ice for 5 or more days... gets the blood out and tenderizies the meat.

I learned that little boning out process from caribou hunting years ago... now I don't drag anything if possible... I even have a video on Youtube for it's process.

I guess I'll drag out coyotes... don't think the meat is appealing even after several days of icing down...LOL.

Got Blacky in the refrigerator...whole... not sure what to do with it...

Skin it...?
Tan it...?
Sell it...?

Are they worth anything special in money...?

Got any thoughts...?

Last edited:
Back