It happened to me

Catskinner,,,What I meant by the last half of the statement is that when I usually hear a situation where someone is whining about being mistreated by any government agency is due to them having either intentionally, or unintentionally through lack of knowledge, been caught in a position where they are subject to some form of punitive action...Whether is due to a traffic violation, a personal conflict with another, or even something more serious...

That's not to say that some agencies, more specifically the Federal Government of late, do not enact policies, usually based on administrative/regulatory decisions that put the unaware in precarious positions...

But as far as local LEOs, municipal and county, they are usually reactionary functions depending on the situation and guided by established policies and procedures that have been in effect for some time and existing laws are on the books for any interested party to read, if they take the time before taking their initial action...Some laws are well known and well publicized that some individuals choose to ignore and others can be somewhat obscure and require some intelligent research on a given subject...

I thought that was what you meant. So is this not painting the general public with a broad brush?

"But to paint an entire organization or vocation with a broad brush is not only unfair, but IMHO extremely insulting..."

So is this not painting the general public with a broad brush?

Originally Posted By: CatskinnerI thought that was what you meant. So is this not painting the general public with a broad brush?

"But to paint an entire organization or vocation with a broad brush is not only unfair, but IMHO extremely insulting..."

So is this not painting the general public with a broad brush?

Hummmm, you don't like it?

Quote:I usually hear a situation where someone is whining about being mistreated by any government agency is due to them having either intentionally, or unintentionally through lack of knowledge, been caught in a position where they are subject to some form of punitive action....Whiners do not encompass the whole of the general public...

I'm a strong supporter of LE. But that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes.

I would to like to know why the firearm was taken. I'm sure a quick call to a Sgt or above would answer a lot of questions, or get the situation remedied altogether.

Travis

the gun was taken, most likely because it belonged to a person who along with the gun, left drugs/para.

To be honest Id rather not have that thing around, the 100.00 it may bring is not worth the possible headaches later on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kal52the gun was taken, most likely because it belonged to a person who along with the gun, left drugs/para.

Ummm... That's not a reason to seize something. The owner of the property turned in the dope/pipes, and asked they run the SSN. If they left a flat screen and he wanted to ensure it wasn't hot, would they keep it for "safekeeping?"

That's HS.

Travis

Let's play "what if" for a minute. You be the officer called to scene by the OP... what would you personally do with the gun?

Originally Posted By: GCLet's play "what if" for a minute. You be the officer called to scene by the OP... what would you personally do with the gun?

Run it. Give it back. Tell him to have a nice day.

Travis

Originally Posted By: CatskinnerUmmmmm no, it's not that I don't like it, I could care less, but I'm pointing out the irony of his statement.

I know... and how ironic is that?

Originally Posted By: deflaveOriginally Posted By: GCLet's play "what if" for a minute. You be the officer called to scene by the OP... what would you personally do with the gun?

Run it. Give it back. Tell him to have a nice day.

Travis

Ok, now the actual real owners of the gun come forward and want their gun back. The gun you gave away and knew it didn't belong to the guy you gave it to. Now what?

the reason to take the shotgun, was it was in the same place as illegal drug/para.

I get the argument that they left it, abandoned, therefore it should go to the property owner, but when there are narcotics involved that goes out the window.

That's easy.
I'd say thanks for calling in the drug paraphernalia, and its a shame these crackheads we have around here run out on you law abiding folks who are nice enough to rent to these scumbags. But now that they left you with all this stuff to clean up, and didn't pay the last months rent, I hope you can sell some of it and recoup some of the money owed.

GC what would you do? I'm afraid to even know. Actually since you like to play a pretend cop, just keep it to yourself. I'm sure it will be some feel good bs anyway.

Originally Posted By: kal52
I get the argument that they left it, abandoned, therefore it should go to the property owner, but when there are narcotics involved that goes out the window.

Why?

Travis

Originally Posted By: CatskinnerKal52, how much narcotics were left there?

And more importantly. Why does it matter? If they left a Stihl chainsaw next to a pipe, do the police get to keep it for "safekeeping?"

How about a motorcycle? Or an ATV?

Travis

It doesn't. Kal52 said with narcotics involved it goes out the window. I believe the owner got screwed and that cop got himself a shotgun.

Back