ISO New Rifle; What To Avoid?

10 years ago it was Savage. Now it's Tika. Then it's everything in between. I don't think anyone mentioned Winchester. A 70 featherweight in 6.5 or a 6.5X55 would be nice. Even after all the Remington bashing I'd not be worried with any 700. Everything mentioned in past posts would not be a bad pick.

Got a cheap shotgun when I was 12 years old, all my parents could afford. Shot a limit of dove with it this past season…I’m 56.
Cheap needs a numerical value I guess…I consider a $600 or under rifle cheap and while I haven’t reached 20yrs with it, it still shoots as good as the day I put a Leupold on it. In fact she was used this past season on some does from 25-275yds with one shot kills.

In response to the OP’s post, he probably needs to buy a precision rifle if his son is wanting it for competition or only long distance shooting. And he’ll need some nice expensive optics. With his budget, I’d go with a cheaper rifle and nicer optics.
So your shotgun is 44 years old and still going strong? They don't make guns like that today and that's exactly my point. Buy a quality rifle and it will last.

My shotgun was the cheapest at the time, lol. My buddy got a Remington 1100 and I got a Winchester 140 I believe. In fact it has a stock and receiver that don’t really match in color.
I just can’t see or have yet to have it proven to me that a $6K rifle will outshoot my $600 rifle. Maybe if I’m in a competitive shooting sport where we’re shooting 1,000yds I might be outgunned. But then it still comes down to optics. And for the record, I’ve seen folks miss with $50K shotguns and $10K rifles, lol. I’m not paying anywhere near that for a rifle or shotgun, lol.
And yes, those guns were beauties! Almost to the point I probably wouldn’t hunt with them anyways.

Back