Is there any rhyme or reason?

Is there really I mean really any rhyme or reason to what coyotes do? I hunt western Pennsylvania and different types of properties both near people and in the middle of nowhere. I've called soft, loud, paused, no pause, hide, don't hide and play the wind. I haven't noticed any consistency. I've only called in a handful and not one was using the same tactic. A handful of properties I've called have plenty of sign and evidence and those have produced the least. I have no clue at this point lol. I just keep trying. I'm either stubborn or insane.

Is there really I mean really any rhyme or reason to what coyotes do? I hunt western Pennsylvania and different types of properties both near people and in the middle of nowhere. I've called soft, loud, paused, no pause, hide, don't hide and play the wind. I haven't noticed any consistency. I've only called in a handful and not one was using the same tactic. A handful of properties I've called have plenty of sign and evidence and those have produced the least. I have no clue at this point lol. I just keep trying. I'm either stubborn or insane.

There are a TON of guys calling in western PA. Pressure is at an all time high that I’ve seen in 15 years of calling predators in W PA. They are smart and very educated.

They’re out there… but it’s not gonna be anything like what you see on YouTube etc.

Stay with it, I wish you luck

There are a TON of guys calling in western PA. Pressure is at an all time high that I’ve seen in 15 years of calling predators in W PA. They are smart and very educated.

They’re out there… but it’s not gonna be anything like what you see on YouTube etc.

Stay with it, I wish you luck
Appreciate the words sir. I plan to stay with it. Just a post of comic relief. I do think there are a ton of people doing this now.

Coyotes do one thing very consistently… They’ll frustrate you to no end while you try to figure out how to figure them out! Then when you think you’ve figured them out they find new ways to frustrate you.

They don’t play fair often. But that is the fun part. When it happens you feel like a super hero! Just roll with it, keep at it and it’ll start happening. But when it does start happening …. Make sure you keep your super hero cape tucked in your trousers. If you get cocky they’ll up their game!

Good luck!

Welcome to the world of western PA coyote hunting in the 21st century. You already know the answer---stick it out and sometimes it comes together. 14yrs ago when I started this addiction I never saw sign or heard of anyone else doing it other than "for something to do". This winter alone I have 'lost' 13 properties to multiple hunting "groups" on them, hear shots frequently when hunting, and of course hear the locator howls from the road quite frequently also.

When you think you have scouted and know the coyote on the property(s), scout and learn more. If you think you're sneaking, be more sneaking.

Not sure if y’all have a season or not, but if you can make it to Summer, if you’re not hooked by then, you will be!
I started in August and thought there’s nothing to this calling. It was good all the way to early February then it was like NOTHING I did was right.
Yes I’m going through my first (full year) of calling and learning. Just locating them now is sometimes an act of Congress! They may howl one night on their own, and not make a peep the next several. You better get a pin on them when they howl.
Then setting up 300-400 yds away ain’t gonna cut it. If I don’t get anything I’ll call it and come back when the wind is right again and get tighter. It seems, IF I can locate them, then slip inside of 150yds I can get them riled up, but sometimes not enough to get them to come.
When that happens I’ll back out and wait again. I’ll sneak in a little closer and hit them HARD from another angle with vocals almost to the point of them coming out just to shut me up.
Like I said, right now it’s just a chore to locate some to even play with. But, I know in a few months it’ll start to get better and better!

I just keep trying. I'm either stubborn or insane.
This is where I am at. Just became serious about night calling the last couple months. Going out with my grandson and by myself.

Very limited success. About 1 in 10 sets maybe some action. Upgraded my equipment and have some good places to go in SE Iowa but it doesn't seem to be clicking yet. Have had several coyotes come by out of range and just keep moving.

Having trouble estimating distance at night and probably should have taken a few more shots but thought they would come closer.

Kind of on the fence over vocals or distress sounds. We seem to have a healthy population of coyotes with plenty of food for them. Someone told me this is just a tough time of the year, but I don't have enough experience to say.

I blew it on one the other night. Should have been a dead coyote but I did learn a couple things from my mistakes.

Chris

Sometimes it just doesn’t work out. A few years ago I went like 14 stands with nothing to show for it. I knew they were around, but I didn’t see a thing. I just kept at it tell I started killing coyotes.

Like others have said what works one day sure as heck doesn’t mean it will work the next day. I’m a lot more patient theese days, sometimes I’ll glass for an hour quietly and sit on stand and not make a sound for awhile before trying something. A lot of times I’ll spot them out there quite a ways away. I also sit on stand a lot longer this time of year calling very little. I’ve had several times in the last few weeks where I had made a few howls, then a little distress calls and just sat there quietly and had a coyote come show up in front of me at 45 min mark while eating a sandwich :) I guess what I’m saying is I try not to be in a hurry and take it all in and be very patient.

Also other critters will let you know if they are around, crows, magpies and cattle. They all seem to be tuned in when coyotes are moving around, and if you pay attention will let you know where to be looking.

Last edited:
just sat there quietly and had a coyote come show up in front of me at 45 min mark while eating a sandwich
What kind of sandwich was he eating? ;):ROFLMAO:
All joking aside, what did you do with your sandwich and did you get him? Love to have seen a video of that one.(y)
Also other critters will let you know if they are around, crows, magpies and cattle. They all seem to be tuned in when coyotes are moving around, and if you pay attention will let you know where to be looking.
When cattle, deer or other wildlife around, they're almost always aware of a coyote's presence before you are. Excellent tip.

What kind of sandwich was he eating? ;):ROFLMAO:
All joking aside, what did you do with your sandwich and did you get him? Love to have seen a video of that one.(y)

When cattle, deer or other wildlife around, they're almost always aware of a coyote's presence before you are. Excellent tip.
The sandwich was a PB and J, yes I got it! That happened twice in the same week.

I also had a cow and calf snorting and causing a ruckus at something last week that I couldn’t seem to spot. So moved a few hundred and shot a coyote that was laying on the hillside pissing them off with its presence. I never called to it all, just kept quiet and glassed it up.

Is there really I mean really any rhyme or reason to what coyotes do?
I have decided the answer is no. Maybe.

After four weeks of struggling I connected on two last night.

First set brought in a pair in about 15 minutes on female long howl then pup distress. Was able to get the male.

Second set, a lone male answered my long female howl and came in on the run. Entire set didn't last 10 minutes from leaving truck.

Chris

I have decided the answer is no. Maybe.

After four weeks of struggling I connected on two last night.

First set brought in a pair in about 15 minutes on female long howl then pup distress. Was able to get the male.

Second set, a lone male answered my long female howl and came in on the run. Entire set didn't last 10 minutes from leaving truck.

Chris
Got to love it when it happens that way!

Back