Is the 17 WSM here to stay?

Eric, if the trigger assembly is anything like the one in my A17 17HMR you can make them better, but, it will take some doing and depending on how "good" you want it it can be a long arduous process. I spent the better part of half a day working on the trigger in my A17 HMR but I was able to get it from a completely horrible heavy notchy crunchy POS unusable trigger down to right around 2lbs with just a teenie tiny bit of creep/pretravel.

With the 17 WSM requiring a heavier strike on the case head which means stiffer springs it'll be interesting to see what all can be done with the trigger in a 17 WSM A17
Yep. Unfortunately, there is only so much I can do, unless I buy this one from Savage. I'm about to cut my .17WSM collection down quite a bit, so adding another doesn't make a lot of sense. Depending on if AL gets his, or not and how this one shoots, I may offer it up to him at my "writer's" price. (it's not that great of a price, though)

Just a fyi. I saw several boxes of 17 WSM today at two different stores. Hopefully it's on the way back. Both the 20 and 25 grn. I also pulled the trigger on the Savage A17 Pro-Varmint. What a crappy trigger. The salesman took it in the back to try and set it down to the poundage that is advertised. Came back and said he and the manager couldn't get it down. Very disappointed.

Last edited:
I also pulled the trigger on the Savage A17 Pro-Varmint. What a crappy trigger. The salesman took it in the back to try and set it down to the poundage that is advertised. Came back and said he and the manager couldn't get it down. Very disappointed.
My A17 is the Target Sporter Laminate model and I could spin the little adjuster all I wanted, it didn't change or lighten the pull weight at all. Taken apart and worked on you can get them down to a reasonable pull weight but it's not easy and you'll have a few hours invested in massaging the trigger parts and springs but I was able to get mine from IMO un-useable to pretty good. It was so time consuming largely because it was a lot of trial and error, reassemble, test, take back apart message sand polish or clip a coil, reassemble and test again. It took me countless cycles of that process to get it to where I could live with it.

I also pulled the trigger on the Savage A17 Pro-Varmint. What a crappy trigger. The salesman took it in the back to try and set it down to the poundage that is advertised. Came back and said he and the manager couldn't get it down. Very disappointed.

Jard makes an aftermarket trigger if you want to shell out $279.95 o_O

I don’t see much need for the 17 WSM unless you cannot use a centerfire. If you have the HMR and Hornet there is no need. Hornet does what the WSM does but better and is reloadable.

I don’t see much need for the 17 WSM unless you cannot use a centerfire. If you have the HMR and Hornet there is no need. Hornet does what the WSM does but better and is reloadable.

I always wished I could get the Hornet in a semi-auto, AR preferably. At that point, a light loaded Fireball would be much easier.

A buddy has a Franklin Armory 17 wsm, it's expensive but is a neat toy. His was/is overgassed with no easy way to tone it down, so I added some buffer weight and it's reliable now with a can on it. Pretty accurate but not a tack driver, and that's probably an ammo issue as we only had one type. That's my worry with the round, expensive ammo and not many options in ammo or rifles.

I would trade a HMR for a quality WSM any day of the week. As for the Hornet being the "same" but reloadable . Not everyone wants,can or has the time to reload any or all their rifles.

As usual I am the odd man out. I got rid of my 17 HMR’s and 17 HH and kept the 17WSM. The 17HH I had a real love/hate relationship with. I got a 17 Fire ball and can load it down to 17HH if I so desire. The Fireball is a pure pleasure to work with compared to the 17HH.
The 17 HMR left to much on the table for my applications.
I was really hoping that Aguila would step up and make some 17WSM, I would even be game for a 20 caliber rimfire.
I bought cases of 17WSM when it was cheap and plentiful.
I have seen/read of some real good groups with the 17WSM. I have come to accept that my Bmag is on an average an MOA rig, better some days than others. I have run enough different lots across the chronograph that a $2000+ rifle is not going to fix crap ammo. IF and a big IF, it is an ignition issue or firing pin issue to make it shoot better with the ammo available I would be surprised.

I had hopes that Savage had fired the 3rd grade engineer that designed the Bmag, so there was no issue with the “A” model. Sounds like they are still using sidewalk chalk, Big Chief tablets and erasable markers to make a new design.

Well, it's great to see there is still some enthusiasm out there for the 17 wsm. I have gone through four different guns. Savage Bmag, Ruger bolt action, Franklin Arms, and now a Volquartsen. They all shoot 1" groups at 100 meters, and it doesn't make a difference which ammo I shoot. I finally went with the Volquartsen because of the follow up shots. I mounted a 6.5x20 Leupold on it because of the range the gun has. Using a range finder on a calm day, I have made hits on prairie dogs at 300 yards. With little or no recoil, follow up shots are easy with prairie dogs. I have also taken a few coyotes with it. All one shot kills. Like everyone else, I'd like to see some ammo on the shelves. I paid $32 a box at a gun show recently. I won't do that again.

and it doesn't make a difference which ammo I shoot.
That's because no matter what the label on the box says it's all the same ammo and made by Winchester. In fact, I think the others, Hornady and American Eagle, that were putting their name and head stamp on Winchester's 17 WSM ammo have both discontinued doing so and Winchester is the only label you can get in 17 WSM ammo anymore. I can't remember if they put any of it in Browning boxes but even if they did, it's all the same stuff made to the same specs on the same line of manufacturing.

I've been a big fan and supporter of the 17 WSM since shortly after it came out but Savage certainly didn't do the new cartridge any favors with the as jshks called it 3rd grade engineer designed Bmag and being an owner of a Savage Bmag, that's probably putting it nicely. BUT, even as poorly designed and cheaply made as my HB SS Bmag is, after altering a few things here and there and getting it tuned up a bit I can't complain with how mine shoots. Now, does Winchester have room to tighten up QC with their making of 17 WSM ammo, ohh hell yes, they have A LOT of room for improvement but in all fairness, Winchester has never really been known for making great ammo and at least their 17 WSM ammo isn't as bad as their 17 HMR ammo because that stuff is reallly not good, not good at all.

reb8600 said "I don’t see much need for the 17 WSM unless you cannot use a centerfire. If you have the HMR and Hornet there is no need. Hornet does what the WSM does but better and is reloadable.

I've heard that a lot over the years and it's not really that I disagree with that statement but as has been said before guns are kind of like tools, pick the best tool for the job. For me, I think Eric Mayer is largely of the same opinion, where the 17 WSM is the better tool is when you're using these things for shooting sage rats in the spring where you'll shoot thousands of rounds in a very short amount of time. For years all we used were our 22's then they came out with the 17 HMR and that stepped the game up quite a bit and allowed us to reach out quite a bit further and hit harder then our 22's would and the 17 HMR became my go to. Then, they came out with the 17 WSM and that stepped the game up from our HMR's a few more clicks and allowed us to reach out even further and more importantly the WSM hit considerably harder at distance then did the HMR and was still, at least back then, a relatively inexpensive rimfire cartridge and when you're volume shooting not only does it save you money over a centerfire but it saves you a lot of time in the loading room. I still have my 17 HMR rifles but they don't see much use in the rat fields and I only really take them along as a loaner or backup gun. I really like my little CZ 17 Hornets and quality of gun, for get about it, there's no comparison between them and my Bgag but come spring and the rats start popping up my poor ugly odd duck Bmag is the first one I reach for.

What kind of hunting are you all doing with the 17 wsm? I picked up an HMR for a faster squirrel and light fox gun to take to AK a few years ago. Fun to shoot, but I guess I jump to my easy .223 for centerfire.

If wanted something beteeen the .223 and .17 hmr is it the wsm or something like the hornet?

I have toyed with the idea of making me a Howa Mini action in a .204 or .17 cal for fox and bobcat hunting I want to start doing.

Back