I think I’m getting old or something

Utahcaller

It’s kind of crazy how life works. I have been looking for Rifle brass for some of the guns I own and I swear most of them have been discontinued. Cartridges I thought were etched in stone are gone or nearly gone. And replaced by a whole new assortment of Cartridges. And I have owned a few wildcats over the years. It just seems different I guess. I really miss the old days.

Good Hunting Chad

I'm getting long in the tooth also Chad. I went through several years of gun shows both as a buyer and seller. Probably had at least one of several different calibers in my possession at one time or other. It seemed to me that the introduction of a new caliber rifle preceded the available ammo, which sent the new rifle to the safe or down the road to someone else. I've boiled it all down to 2 rifles now, .223 and .243, and my hunting is now nothing but hogs and coyotes. Wait, armadillos, skunks, raccoons, a few rabbits, turtles and I get my limit of 5 Mexican vultures every year. The little .17hmr handles all but the hogs and coyotes! I hope to be hunting til the Lord calls me home.;)

I agree.

I hunt called coyotes that’s pretty much it anymore. Seems like everything is made for the AR’s which I’ve never owned or cared to own.
Or super long range with long high B.C boolits. Again I don’t care for them either. 99% of the coyotes I call are 0-300 yards and the other 1% are out to 400 yards. So to have the long range bullets aren’t important to me.

But the market says that stuff is important to a lot of people. I’m glad I have a lot of reloading components for the Coyote rifles I use. But I would like to get some stuff for some of the other calibers I own. Oh well guess it ain’t going to happen.

Funny you mention this. A few weeks ago, seems everyone was looking for 22-250 brass. I set here thinking man that's as common as it can be and there isn't any??? Like Utahcaller, AR's don't really interest me either as well as heavy for caliber bullets and rifles. I'll take a lighter bullet going really fast any day. Not saying it isn't so, but some of the velocities some are saying they get with a short barrel and a heavy bullet is a little hard to swallow. And it must have the trajectory of a bowling ball. I'm in my "Golden" years and definitely "Old School" and prefer the older stuff. I'm sure many will say I'm full of it but that's OK. I know what I like and to old to change now. But I also say, shoot what makes you happy.

Being older myself and have been through a couple of component shortages. I keep enough around for the rifles I have plus I can make brass for a lot of the odd stuff and reload them to minimize brass failure. My 6.5x58R Sauer has been shooting for 10+yrs on the same 20.pieces of brass I made from 9.3x72R and will more than likely keep killing coyotes for the.rest.of.my life with that same brass.

Buying rifles that the ammo is based on military cartridges is always a good idea. 223, 7.62x39. and 30-06 can allow you to make cartridges to cover just about everything.

I only shoot 2 guns anymore my .204 Ruger, and my .22-250 Ackley Improved. All the others are just locked away in the safe.
I'm over the hill myself!! I got into this coyote hunting at age 74 - and single shot rifles. I too like the .22-250, but I don't care about speed. I see several "seasoned" shooters " improve " their rifles. My max distance is about 250 yards with most shots in the less than 100-yard range, what would improving my 14 twist Ruger No.1V do for me?
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Semper Fidelis
Soup

"Down South 68-69"

Just minimize trimming brass. It will cost you more for, powder to reach the same velocity as your standard 22-250, fire forming, special order dies and gunsmithing cost.

I do have a 22-250AI that I bought the barrel, dies and formed brass for $125. Hunting the same distances as you I see no advantage in having a 22-250AI over my standard version. As old George H. said they both " Kill them deader than dead "

I'm part of the over the hill gang also, lots of stuff that was readily available is now obsolete and getting hard to find, and when you do find it it's usually crazy expensive.
One thing I learned a long time ago, stock up when available, and I did!

I bought my 22-250AI already built and just fell in love with it. Not so much for the little extra speed, mainly cause the cases look so damn cool. I have dies and brass for a 223 AI setting on the shelf just waiting but I can't find a local smith with a 223AI reamer. LOL, the 223AI looks pretty cool too.

I've got to where about all I shoot is the .204 for coyotes, prairie dogs, and an occasional ground hog, to much trouble dragging a deer around about lost interest. My 6.5x55 Swede is my favorite mid size cartridge and finding brass for it can be trying at times, I did buy a creedmoor and it performs like the Swede. Not much of an AR fan, I always hunted with bolt guns. There's a place on the internet that rents reamers... Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals (800) 996-0426 Rent high-quality reamers for a fraction of the cost of buying!

Back