I hate my case trimmer...

Dirt Nap

I have a Hornady cam-lock case trimmer that I don't care for. I doesn't seem to be precise. Does anyone else not like theirs? Does anybody have any suggestions on a new case trimmer? Thanks

I use two different ones andlike them both. L. E. Wilson and Forster. Both easily adjustable and accurate. The only possible problem is with the Forster collet style holder, you need to developed a system and be very precise about how you place the case in the holder in order to get consistant results. Took me a while to get used to but I'm good with it now.

I used a Forster for years but find the Lee to be the best/quickest.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/476992/lee-case-trimmer-cutter-and-lock-stud

Add a cartridge specific shell holder/guide and a cordless screwdriver of drill and you're in business.

Just mount the shell holder in drill and a quick twist locks case for power trimming.

I mount my trimmer and a de-burring tool in a wooden handle which allows you to trim and de-burr without changing tools. I find it easier to trim after each firing than to measure and trim only the long ones using this setup.

IMG_2588.jpg

Regards,
hm

Im not too keen on mine either. You are right, they dont seem to be very accurate, and having to buy all of Hornadys shell holders is a pain too. I feel your pain. I should have looked elsewhere. Good luck.

I don't have experience with anything other than the Forster. I really like it, and it is accurate. Not a lot of money, I actually found mine on Ebay and got a good deal.

If you are serious about case trimming with repeatable accuracy, debur, and chamfer in one step go with a giraud. Expensive yes, but zero issues once you get set up an accuracy is spot on every time. Not a machine for reloader who does a hundred rounds every now and then, but if you reload on a frequent basis it will pay for itself quickly. The giraud trimmer will do many calibers.

I use the Lee for my 243, but they don't make one for 204. I picked up a L.E. Wilson for that, and I like it. Probably get a 243 shell holder for it, too.

Originally Posted By: IrrigatorIf you are serious about case trimming with repeatable accuracy, debur, and chamfer in one step go with a giraud. Expensive yes, but zero issues once you get set up an accuracy is spot on every time. Not a machine for reloader who does a hundred rounds every now and then, but if you reload on a frequent basis it will pay for itself quickly. The giraud trimmer will do many calibers.

The problem with the Giraud is that it sets it's length on the shoulder, not the face of the case head.

This is fine if you are trimming all fired cases from your rifle. But if you are trimming new brass or range pick ups, each case will have a different length.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: IrrigatorIf you are serious about case trimming with repeatable accuracy, debur, and chamfer in one step go with a giraud. Expensive yes, but zero issues once you get set up an accuracy is spot on every time. Not a machine for reloader who does a hundred rounds every now and then, but if you reload on a frequent basis it will pay for itself quickly. The giraud trimmer will do many calibers.

The problem with the Giraud is that it sets it's length on the shoulder, not the face of the case head.

This is fine if you are trimming all fired cases from your rifle. But if you are trimming new brass or range pick ups, each case will have a different length.
cry.gif

I have a giraud, and have not thougt of this. I love it but have had trouble with cases sticking in my AR's.. I have seomthing to think about now. Thanks Catshooter. I enjoy your educated posts very much.

Originally Posted By: yotezapperOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: IrrigatorIf you are serious about case trimming with repeatable accuracy, debur, and chamfer in one step go with a giraud. Expensive yes, but zero issues once you get set up an accuracy is spot on every time. Not a machine for reloader who does a hundred rounds every now and then, but if you reload on a frequent basis it will pay for itself quickly. The giraud trimmer will do many calibers.

cry.gif

I have a giraud, and have not thougt of this. I love it but have had trouble with cases sticking in my AR's.. I have seomthing to think about now. Thanks Catshooter. I enjoy your educated posts very much.

Most people don't think of that. New cases can vary 10-14 thou in headspace (base to shoulder length) from the factory, and even more if they are range pick-ups.

I have 4 Forster trimmers, and one L.E. Wilson on a Sinclair base. The Wilson is the best (+/- "0.00"), but it is soooo sloooow.

The Forster is very good, and very versatile - two of mine are for trimming and two are set up permanently as power outside neck turners, and nothing can beat them for that, in speed, accuracy, or quality of finish.

I use a wilson too and love mine. Very precise and yes, as catshooter said a bit slow, but I don't trim all that much since i collet size almost everything.
The wilson truly is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: BUS33I use a RCBS Trim Pro with a 3-way trimmer head and a cordless drill for power. Works like a charm.

I use almost the exact same setup put use the RCBS powered unit. What a life saver!

Originally Posted By: BUS33I use a RCBS Trim Pro with a 3-way trimmer head and a cordless drill for power. Works like a charm.

Same here, really works great and is very accurate

Back