How many 6.5 Grendel Shooters Are Here?

CA Desert Dog

How many guys here shoot a 6.5 Grendel? I use mine for coyotes, big game, pigs and it rocks. It accurately shoots bullet weights from 80-grain to 123-grain and slams well out to 500-yards+.

I don't have one, but I want one. There is alot going on with that round right now. It couldn't get much press b/c of the Grendel name and AA wouldn't release it. Some have made rifles calling it a 6.5 sporter, and now Hornady is bringing out the 264 LBC. They are all essentially the same. I think it will be really fun, but the ammo availability will have to raise before I commit.

I am having one built as we speak! I have a friend that owns a tactical rifle making company and I spend ALOT of time there and seen what his grendels he is making can do. Actually, the .264 LBC was designed by Les Baer and Dave Kiff from Pacific Tool and Guage, as well as input from hornady. Dave makes the reamers for most all custom gumsmiths and is pretty dang sharp. They changed the lead in so the bullet is optimized for hornadys new 123 G Amax. The LBC will shoot all grendel ammo fine but is optimum for the new amax vs. the standard grendel chamber that not optimum for any. The "new" LBC chamber also boast about 50-80 fps faster than the standard grendel

I like what I've read, but there's no ammo or even guns chambered in it around here. That's why I went with the 6.8 instead.

65Grendel2.jpg

Mine has a 16" Alexander Arms barrel and it is very accurate. I have worked up a variety of bullet weight loads and it will shoot all of them well. The lens shade is a bit of overkill.

I have removed the Bushnell Elite 4200 and replaced it with a Hawke Sidewinder with an SR6 reticle. I love it.

Reloading for it is easy and well worth the effort.

This ram was first blood for the Grendel. This photo was taken after I painted it with Dura-Coat.
Red-Ram.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting on mine from Alexander Arms, too. I ordered the 19.5 Shillen barrel with a muzzle brake. I hope it is everything they say it is.

I had a Grendel upper built by J&T Double star. Great all around cartridge. Accurate round. Hornady is making ammo.

hik

How many guys here shoot a 6.5 Grendel? I use mine for coyotes, big game, pigs and it rocks. It accurately shoots bullet weights from 80-grain to 123-grain and slams well out to 500-yards+.
I assembled mine recently. My son bought me the Alexander Arms upper so I wanted to make sure to build it.
Long story short, today, I tried the go/ no-go headspace gauges... I was surprised my Go gauge... didn't Go. I'm not a gunsmith. I have reloaded .223 in the past but I wanted to head out, sight in, and shoot some Coyotes tomorrow. I'm nervous now. I am reading but most of what I see is over my head..looking up terms the whole time I'm reading.
I wasn't going to even try to shoot until this rest worked but I read ...DONT WORRY ABOUT IT... well, I am.
I WANNA SHOOT THIS BEAST!
20221212_173504.jpg

I have a few 6.5 Grendel ARs. I actually started reloading a couple years ago because I was getting a few runners with factory Hornady Black 123 ELD-M. 90 grain Speer TNT handloads have worked great for me on coyotes and hogs in 6.5 Grendel.

We built a Howa mini 20" barrel for my little Grandaughter when she was 10. She hunted with it for 3 years and filled 3 tage every year. All mule deer and most over 150 yards. She loves this gun, this last season we built her a 7mmx57AI she likes this gun too, it's a Ruger American first generation a lot more gun and she now is willing to shoot big mule deer at 250 +. But when we are calling coyotes or prairie dogs she still grabs the Grendle.

Back