How do you carry all of your crap to the stand?

That's similar to what I do, but I like to have my hands free. I've busted dogs on my way to the stand; and have shot one or two this way. If I would've had gear in my hands it wouldn't have happened. I did find a few "lounge-type" turkey vests that are interesting. I'm thinking maybe I need a .338 lapua with Schmidt and Bender 5-25 and then I will call and shoot from the truck, haha.

I hunt kinda like Stu.. only take what you need, and stay closer to the truck? You only need so much. Is the decoy necessary on every stand? What are you carrying that you rarely use? You know where you hunt and what the conditions allow. I would take basics, and adjust from there. Good luck!

thebestofindica: You stated you'd have no trouble taking a 400 yard shot at a coyote, and you don't carry shooting sticks. How many coyotes would you kill at 400 yards with no sticks, say out of 10 shots at that distance?

I would kill zero coyotes at 400 sitting, however, no problem with bipod if laying on my stomach. I would say out of roughly 3 dozen coyotes, I've killed 3-5 between 300-400 yards. Crazy things have happened to me while making a stand (I'm sure everyone has stories). There have been rare instances where the landscape allowed me to move from sitting position to prone (while coyote was moving out of vision) to take a long shot. Similar situation with this double a couple weeks ago.

360bda05a8071bc30bad8dde94ce4001.jpg

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Originally Posted By: possumalthebestofindica: You stated you'd have no trouble taking a 400 yard shot at a coyote, and you don't carry shooting sticks. How many coyotes would you kill at 400 yards with no sticks, say out of 10 shots at that distance? he would hit all ten...remember he shots off his knee sitting,and no need for a range finder, he can estimate 400 yards by site +/- 1 yard
Things just got weird. I speak no lies so you won't catch me in one. And another thing, how do you know my background or what I can/can't do? These threads always go south after a nice conversation.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who contributed. This looks like the best option I see so far.

http://t.basspro.com/RedHead-Bucklick-Creek-Turkey-Lounger-Vests-for-Men/product/1109160501131/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaOriginally Posted By: fredhorace77Originally Posted By: possumalthebestofindica: You stated you'd have no trouble taking a 400 yard shot at a coyote, and you don't carry shooting sticks. How many coyotes would you kill at 400 yards with no sticks, say out of 10 shots at that distance? he would hit all ten...remember he shots off his knee sitting,and no need for a range finder, he can estimate 400 yards by site +/- 1 yard
Things just got weird. I speak no lies so you won't catch me in one. And another thing, how do you know my background or what I can/can't do? These threads always go south after a nice conversation.

I certainly wasn't saying anything negative about you. I was just wondering about the 400 yard question. Personally, I would not coyote hunt without shooting sticks. Most people who have been hunting coyotes very long have a pretty set way they arrange their gear and do it all for particular reasons. I have been carrying 5 things for the last 25 years, my rifle, my Fieldline carry bag with ecaller, etc., my shooting sticks, and a cushion or stool. I keep my shooting sticks the right length to sit down and take a shot if it presents itself on the way to stand. While on stand, the Bog Pod sticks are solid as a rock and really help on the longer shots.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaThanks to everyone who contributed. This looks like the best option I see so far.

http://t.basspro.com/RedHead-Bucklick-Creek-Turkey-Lounger-Vests-for-Men/product/1109160501131/?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

That does look like a nice vest.

Originally Posted By: possumal

I certainly wasn't saying anything negative about you. I was just wondering about the 400 yard question. Personally, I would not coyote hunt without shooting sticks. Most people who have been hunting coyotes very long have a pretty set way they arrange their gear and do it all for particular reasons. I have been carrying 5 things for the last 25 years, my rifle, my Fieldline carry bag with ecaller, etc., my shooting sticks, and a cushion or stool. I keep my shooting sticks the right length to sit down and take a shot if it presents itself on the way to stand. While on stand, the Bog Pod sticks are solid as a rock and really help on the longer shots.

I have a set of sticks I made but have rarely used them. I have spent a lot of time shooting freehand or finding other ways to get by. I can shoot very accurately off my knee. I am interested in the PRS tripod, though. It's lightweight and adds another dimension to precision shooting at distance. I completely understand the ethics of hunting and making a quick, lethal shot. It's nice to have the skills to make accurate long-range shots. Shotgun kills are fun, but I enjoy making shots on nervous dogs at longer ranges also. Even though I use a semi-automatic rifle, I do not take shots on dogs running away and I do not encourage others to do so either.

I carry a back pack, an Eberlestock X2 to be exact. I strap all my crap to it or in it.
I have a shotgun scabbard attached that the shotgun sorta fits in and I carry my AR (no sling). Butt pad, small stool and shooting sticks stapped to the outside. Rain jacket and gloves in the pack. Hand calls are in my jacket pocket. Sometimes I carry a ladder too.
Somebody else usually carries the Foxpro and decoy.

This pic is not me, its mjlyynjr, but this give you an idea of how much stuff we sometimes carry.

Most of the time we aren't walking too far.

Some of you guys just carry to much...IMO.
All I carry is my call on my belt hanger, gun, shooting sticks and maybe a foam pad & that attaches to my belt for carry, if not my small pad I carry a 3 legged stool, all this in one hand. I like it simple & easy.

Man some of you guys carry alot of crap. LOL! Im another "keep it simple" guy. Rifle on shoulder, Foxpro in my hoodie pocket, remote in cargo pocket, binos and hand calls around neck and grab the homemade shootin sticks and go.

Originally Posted By: thebestofindicaCurrently, my setup is as follows (see photo): SCAR 17 or BCM AR 15 carried across my chest over the ghillie coat over my other layers. The Tally Ho and Circe call are in my bib pockets. The foxpro remote is in the other bibs pocket, the caller and decoy are in my Eberlestock mini-me pack and the seat clips to the back of the pack. I never carry a rangefinder, or binos or shooting sticks. The only thing I will not change is carrying the rifle in front across my chest and the seat (back problems). With this setup I still feel a little tied down. For those thinking the rifle is heavy, it's more of an advantage for me than a liability. I'm trying to figure out how to carry less stuff. Any thoughts? Thank you.

1605d009cc9073794c32de1b10c076f3.jpg

Yes Take me I can carry all that

That's the best system and I have been using it for years. LMAO!!Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiSometimes I take the neighbor kid. I used to take my nephew until girls dominated his interest. Anyways, make the kid carry everything, they are young and strong.

He thought I was really doing him a favor when I et him carry the e-caller and place it out in front of us on stand setup.
smile.gif

I just took all of the stuff that i use on stand to the store, then went back to the packs and tried putting all of the stuff in there.. When i found one that was just right. That was the one that i got..
For all of the extra stuff that i didn't need to take to the stand i have a milk crate that goes behind the seat of the truck for ammo, latex gloves, knives, camp stove and so on.
For the stuff that is bigger and like to have but don't use often, i got a 56gallon tote on sale at home depot and a dolly from Harbor Freight. I have bolt cutters, cold gear, snow camo, and survival gear in the tote. When i get home, the tote goes on the dolly, and then the pack, and milk crate. It rolls away to the storage place in the garage and then the next time i go hunting loading the gear take a few minutes and I don't forget anything.
i have been thinking of getting a second tote to put the first one in, and then when i get a animals, i can take the empty tote out from under the loaded one and put it at the tailgate of the truck and put the dead coyotes in there. This would limit the amount of mess they make in the back of the truck.

Last edited:
Back