Hobby Call Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASA

We’ve talked about many of the early pioneers in predator calling. What about the call makers? Do we have any modern day “pioneers” in the making? When you think of e:callers Johnny Stewart was on the front lines. Their Preymaster is holding its own, and is about to introduce a new upscale version. John Dillon of Fox Pro certainly has made his mark in the industry. Wayne Buckley of Loudmouth has put everything on the line to try to establish his foothold in the e:caller market. Who will stand the test of time?

There are also a number of hand call makers in the “hobby” category here at PM. These folks make hand calls for the pleasure of it, not as a way to make a living. These handcalls are made with pride and craftsmanship not often seen in the plastic pop-out production line calls.

Who are these talented people? Will they ever move from the kitchen table to the factory? Do they even want to? Will they be remembered 20 years from now?

Rich Cronk – Cronk Howlers
Rich Gipson – Sly Dog Calls
Richard Grantham – RG Custom Calls
Rich Higgins – Higgins Howler
Lance Homman – Predatr Calls
Lynn Jacobson – TNT Calls
Jason LeMarr – LeMarr Game Calls
Kevin Lukins – K-Kalls
Al Lux – Alux Custom Calls
Paul Merrill - Mad Moose Calls
Jay Nistetter – Rhino Calls
“TR” Richards – Songdog Calls
Jeff Savoie – Krusty Kriers

These are just some of the craftsmen here at Predator Masters. Who did I miss?

Walt Betts - WB Customs
Brent Saxton - Kee's Customs
Brad Holzer - BradH Calls
Steve Taylor - S.T.O. Calls
Ryan Wieser - RAW Custom Calls
Wayne Buckley and Son - Predator Spanker Jr. Calls
Oscar ? - Oscar's Custom Calls
Marc ? - Lone Howl Custom Calls
Tom ? - Tom Talker Calls
Pup (name unknown to me) - Pup Howlers?

I am sure I missed some too...

Krusty
wave1.gif

Krusty, are all of those you named handmade by the person you listed? I knew there might be more, but WOW! :eek:

NASA,

As far as I know all those people make the calls I listed themselves, some use some parts you can purchase from call makers supply houses (open reed, elk, crow, or bite type, mouthpieces).

There's also;
Travis Alzate - Coyote Creek Calls
Ron Welsh - (a fresh upstart, I don't know the name for his calls yet)

I know I am still missing someone...

Crapshoot,

On a shipping label I have, in Brad's own handwriting, his last name is as I listed above.
I double checked the spelling before I posted.

I felt funny posting people's last names, I hope I didn't make a mistake.

Krusty
wave1.gif

Jim McGill is pup. He makes dandy open reed and closed reed calls as well as supplies the voice for the collaborated Slydog/Pup howler.

Aren't RAW calls made with an extruded or molded plastic body? That would be hard to construe as "hand made".

We need to get more last names and call names for our list. Alaskan Yoter probably has at least one call from everyone listed so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

NASA,

Ryan, of RAW Calls, does indeed turn his acrylic calls from a solid piece, and then he meticulously polishes it clear again. No molds, no melting plastic, no pumpers.
This extra effort it takes to make acrylic calls is a big part of why they are worth so much, not to mention that acrylic calls will be around long enough to hand down a couple of generations.

Ryan also turns out beautiful wooden calls, from a few kinds of woods.
His professionalism hides the fact he has a real job, and makes calls because he loves to... it's his hobby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Yes, his calls are customs, and among the finest you can get.

We forgot about BearmanRic... he, like Travis Lindley or the Buckleys, is making handcrafted calls, and some bodies for premanufactured mouthpieces.

I have a really nice cowhorn howler Rick made me... when I go to the desert coyotes will talk back and forth with it.

Krusty
wave1.gif

Ryan does a fine job of finishing his calls, very professional looking. Thanks for setting me straight Jeff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now I'd like to get one and try it out.

Theres some serious power houses in this group when it comes to staying power, and theres a few up starts with a foot in the door for the same title. Time will tell!!

I like some of the stuff the new guys are comming out with. Theres a lot of new ideas and styles.

Few names that haven't been mentioned are;

Gonhuntin(Not sure what Marks last name is with out looking)
Steve Barbour(Steve I hope I spelled that right)

Theres a few more that I might have forgotten, and then you have a whole nother group of custom call makers outside of these posting boards.

Be safe,
Todd

Tommy Johnson - TrashCan Calls

Cause everytime I start one, it ends up in the trash can. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pioneers', its very possible. If theyll be remembered? Thats quite possible to. For me, I cant remember a song that was a hit two years ago that isnt played now. Some of these calls Ive heard and seen sure rival those of the pros though. If they stay with it and turn out a good number of calls such as a couple thousand a piece with good reviews, Im sure they will probably be a household name by the predator hunting community.

i wouldnt call myself a pioneer , but i also make them. i turn open reeds in the lathe. Havent ventured into closed reed yet.

Todd Perkins

Trashcan Calls! Too funny Tommy! I feel the same way sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's the thing about makin' calls out of horn and antler, if you screw one up, it makes a great chew toy for the dogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I put my share in the trash can for sure...lol...and the dog gets a few to!!!! I seem to kill more than I get finished anymore! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kee

I have a full box full of misfits. Sometimes the ratio is 2 to 1, but the 1 is usually worth it.

Krusty
You got the name right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Thanks.

Sly
I'm still waiting to see the Sly Dog Squarepants antler calls. LOL!!! J/K /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif On the other hand, if it ever happens, put me down for the first one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brad

Wow! :eek: I never thought I'd see my name among so many great call makers. Kinda makes a guy humble. There is a lot to aspire to there.

Speaking of call trading................ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And who's this new player Yellerdog? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I need to re-compile the list and get some last names, etc. I wonder if the "Hobby Makers Special" advertising promotion is still available? Maybe the sales staff could give all these latest call makers a chance at that offer, too.

Hehe, "New player Yellerdog" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . The Upstart from Michigan. :rolleyes:
It's an honor to be mentioned on the same page as these guys. With some hard work and determination I hope to someday be mentioned in the same breathe. That will take many more years of experience though. With so many here willing to share their knowledge, I think all of us newer call makers can accomplish good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back