Help Me ID This Dog's Breed

Have you tried these collars? Made for big dogs that pull a lot, and have a very good reputation for quality. They seem to hold up to the pressures of a dog on a chain set-up.

Stillwater Collars

As for walking him, if that's what you do fairly regularly, try a prong collar. We have a 70# pit that can tow my short legs along like a freight train, but after trying the prong with her she knows her boundaries and we have enjoyable walks now instead of marathons. They may look rather evil, but in fact you do more damage with a choke chain than you would with this prong. This site explains how to properly fit it. If you do decide to try one, pay a little more for a Herm Sprenger collar, not a cheaper one which may not always release when your dog stops pulling.

Fitting a Prong Collar

Looks like a bully breed mix, what a handsome but hefty guy! Good luck!

Originally Posted By: huntergatherermaybe a little pointer

Maybe, he points his ugly head at my food every time I'm eating.
lol.gif

Yote killer,

I'm with snowshoe. A well fitted nylon collar of the right type should solve your problem. T.E. Scott makes what they call a combo collar. It's a 1" wide double ply, colorfast nylon collar that can be used as either a regular collar or a choke collar depending on how you hook it up. Hands down the best quality in the industry barr none. Been working and training dogs for pleasure and in competition for 40 plus years and and I've never found a better, more innovative outfit than T.E. Scott's.

I have some new combo collars left from when I used to run the coonhound circut but doubt that I have any large enough to fit your pal. I'm guessing his neck size is 20" possibly 22" or better. I think the largest I have in that type of collar is size 18" possibly a 20". Do this for me. Take a piece of string and measure the dogs neck then with a tapemeasure measure the string and PM me with the dogs neck size. If I have one it's Blockheads n/c, I'll even print out a brass nameplate for it. No guarantees but I'll take a look.

Last edited:
To put everyone's mind at ease, including mine, I just received 2 collars from coloradobob. The one for Blockhead fit perfectly, with room for him if, God forbid, he grows more in the future. As coloradobob said, these are quality collars.

I'd like to thank coloradobob for these collars. Just shows you how generous members are here on this board.
thumbup.gif

blockheadnewcollar001.jpg

blockheadnewcollar002.jpg

blockheadnewcollar003.jpg

Johnny got the other collar.

johnny.jpg

Originally Posted By: RPAPA Looks to have at least some Dalmation in him.

+1

My ex had a Dalmation mix that I took custody of after she split and he had the EXACT same ears and similar face features.

Like someone else said too, maybe also bulldog of some sorts.

He's got dalmation in him for sure though.

5.56 check with your local vet they have a blood DNA test that can tell you exactly what breeds you dog is. The test is something like $25.00.

Looks like a bulldog/cur cross, with most of the bulldog showing in his size, hair type & overall white color. I had a BIG white pitbull that had what same white colored shor hair with those mottled faint black spots & darker. black accents on his head...

Your dog's head shape & size, in comparison to his body size is more typical of, say a Catahoula. As are his ears...

Can't see any Lab characteristics at all...

Nice looking dog!

I would NOT want to take him on a walk............especilly if I had the leash in my hand...cause i am only 13 and about 135 pounds..........nice dog though

I was gunna say pit/dalmatian but I would agree with the american bulldog.
The small head leads me to believe it has some dalmatian in it.

I don't like choke chain collars,but that cable isn't any worse than a choke chain.

Now I know you are getting enough flack around here about your pup,but along with being muscular,your dog does have a lot of extra weight on it.

Originally Posted By: timbertigerOriginally Posted By: 4eyeshttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=12&pCatId=875
^ Should take care of the pulling issue.

I second that.........my German Shepherd ripped my arm right out of it's socket one day. Ever since then he has either the electric collar on or a halti. Electric collar let's him know I'm not screwing around........and totally modifies his behavior!

Sorry,but if you need a e-collar on a easily trainable, german shepard then you need to get another dog.
I've seen them on Rots labs Shepards dobies and the like.Ridiculous.

A pure hunting dog,hounds and bird dog types, yes.They lose track of everything around them when they get on a scent

The ones mentioned above? You need training lessons.
Those dogs are so easily trained they should never need an e-collar

Oh BTW,I saw a guy that weighed ,maybe 160+- with 2 120+# malamutes that went to the end of the leash,no further.They could have easily pulled him all over,if he didn't have them trained correctly

Last edited:
Back