H4895?

William Suter

Is this powder a thing of the past? Seems as popular as it is that they would produce it and slow down production on some of the slow moving powders. Just an opinion from a guy that would love to find some! I saw a site that had 117 pounds at $31 per. Got all giddy then found out it was a scam site. That's not funny to an old man..

H4895 would be Hodgdon.
20240420_184545.jpg
:eek:

I've seen it available in MI. Picket up a pound several months ago for reserve. I put it in the category of Varget as they are gouging based on popularity and availability at $60-65/lb.

It's an outstanding powder, that's why it's sold out all the time and they don't make as much of it as some of the other powders.

Maybe they keep supplies low so it doesn't set on the shelf. We buy all we can when we see it so they just ship little quantities at a time. H4350 was scarce for so long when we saw it we bought it. Now its not that hard to get and it sets on the shelf. No money to be made setting on a shelf. Just another thought.

I've seen it available in MI. Picket up a pound several months ago for reserve. I put it in the category of Varget as they are gouging based on popularity and availability at $60-65/lb.
Yep…Varget seems to group just accurate in my same guns as H4895 with close to the same powder charge. Normally around a half a grain, or so, of each other.

H4895 is a very good 22-250 powder. IMR4895 generally tends to shoot a little faster but it's also more temp sensitive then it's Hodgdon stepbrother.

I really hope that H4895 is not a thing of the past. That’s my go to powder for my .204 Ruger. Under half inch groups in my factory cz527 with the 35 grain bergers. I do have some but not a lot. I guess I need to start looking harder for some.

Not going to find it at Cabelas or Bass Pro either. I have seen it available once in the last 4 years. That was about Dec 2022 and I bought an 8 pound jug. I have been watching for H4198.

Back