Gun camo 101

Quote:
WOW... Great Job. Will you do mine?

YA i want mine done too....
great job and good post........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
so what do you do to it when the snow flies??

HUNT!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, I don't worry about painting everything white. There
is enough cedar and brush that dark colors are ok, plus all I really want is to knock down any shine. camo does nothing if it still shines.

Shameless

Shameless I just ordered a new rifle and I am going to paint it like yours. Can you tell me does the gun in the pics have only gray and black for colors. You mention a red but I can only pic out two colors. I assume the middle can in the pics is gray but it looks tan to me.

I can't bring my self to paint my rifle... instead I have the beartooth covers (~$30). I have a set in winter white and mossy oak.

Hey Weasel: Use Bowflage and the patterning like the other illustrations, and if you ever want to take it off, they offer a spray can that takes it off easy. That is what is on my Browning Abolt that is shown on all my photo posts. It stays on good as that job was done on my Abolt about 7 years ago, and is just now needing a touch up job. It is not expensive either.

Shameless,very informative stuff.I`ve got a model 93 22mag,synthetic also one in 22-250 synthetic .If I hit it with some 200grit and acetone,then as you said primer 2-3 coats... Would that help in not chipping,or cracking beign it`s got a bit more flex? Great look on your gun, the cedar pattern is perfect for my territory {Kalkaska Co}.Just north of you...Thanks in advance.Gary

For you guy's that have never done this practice on cardboard first and not your gun.I use the same instructions shameless gave and I can contest that this is one of the best methods I have seen.

Vermonter,

When the snow flies I wrap mine with white "horse wrap". It sticks to itself well and is easily removed after the snow melts. It also comes in different colors---to match the color of horses? One roll will cover several rifles. I get it at the local TSC store. It should be available where ever horse lovers buy their tack, etc. I use the process Shameless uses for the non-snowy times of the year with one exception...I use plastic fronds and leaves instead of the real thing. Been using the same ones for years. Paint flakes off the plastic nicely after it dries. Have also used the granite/sand filled paints to give the surface a rough texture.

Quote:
Vermonter,

When the snow flies I wrap mine with white "horse wrap". It sticks to itself well and is easily removed after the snow melts. It also comes in different colors---to match the color of horses? One roll will cover several rifles. I get it at the local TSC store. It should be available where ever horse lovers buy their tack, etc. I use the process Shameless uses for the non-snowy times of the year with one exception...I use plastic fronds and leaves instead of the real thing. Been using the same ones for years. Paint flakes off the plastic nicely after it dries. Have also used the granite/sand filled paints to give the surface a rough texture.

Same type of fabric is used to make "Camo Form" gun wrap. I use the camo form on quite a few of mine. Works good and holds up well. One roll will cover a 16" AR with scope.

How does this technique work on making your own cammo clothing?? Like buying arm surplus white camo and adding cedar patterns.
Reg Emmert
Northern MN.

Quote:
How does this technique work on making your own cammo clothing?? Like buying arm surplus white camo and adding cedar patterns.

Very well, while hunting in Globe we ware orange vests, I broke mine up useing this technique. Again its not the colors (coyotes are color blind) its more breaking up the solid pattern.

Shameless

thanks for those instructions even though i dont have the guts to paint one of my rifles. just wondering is that rifle a Rossi? o ya and does anybody got an example of a desert camo job?

Last edited:
Shameless,,
you gun looks sweet.nice job

Some guy like hot rods and also like to personalize there cars .
Well I feel there is no difference in predator guns.
Some of us just like to personalize there irons.
It don't even have to look good to everybody. As long as it cool to you.
I am one that like to put my touch on my guns.

Last edited:
Back